No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 74

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Photo Play (6.21)

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

K Hale wrote:Cassie Yates isn't that bad, though her voice is really grating.
Yeah, ya think? :) And just imagine if you combined that voice with Magnum's most annoying other acquaintance, one Miss Goldie Morris (Lee Purcell). Man, Magnum has been through a lot! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/shelly_be ... mashup.mp3
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

karolis
Admiral

#62 Post by karolis »

The TV that Higgins is watching snooker championship most likely is Mitsubishi VS-363R Rear Projection TV.

Snapshots from the episode:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by K Hale »

I noticed the Mitsubishi logo on that TV. Comparing the pics, looks like they covered the name but not the logo. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#64 Post by brianw »

Pretty boring ep. Cassie Yates is so annoying, as always. But I LOVE the Lou Whitaker reference at the end.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

brianw wrote:Pretty boring ep. Cassie Yates is so annoying, as always. But I LOVE the Lou Whitaker reference at the end.
Brianw,
The only time I have ever seen the actress Cassie Yates was on Magnum PI, in the mess titled "Kiss Of The Sabre" and here in "Photo Play".
Maybe she performed well elsewhere but frankly she sucks here.
Her annoying voice ruins scene after scene. The viewer is instead focused on wanting to spin her cross a kitchen floor
like Magnum's buddy's cat and watch her stagger up in a daze, which could only improve her acting.
Plus she literally looked like something the cat dragged in, I would bet money she was partying on Hotel street every night.
Jillie Mack would have been a better choice, at least she would have had some chemistry with Selleck.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by K Hale »

You don’t think she was playing the character as it was written: an irritating ditz?

It’s easy to confuse actors with the characters they’re playing but it usually doesn’t work out well. John Hillerman played a whole lot of villains in the 1970s; didn’t make him one in real life. :D As far as annoying, overplayed, unattractive characters with grating voices, no one holds a candle to the mobster in “Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.” He’s a guy, though, so nobody ever mentions it. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#67 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

MPI was quite awful for stereotypes. A beret-wearing urchin at Nice airport ? Really?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by ENSHealy »

jimhalinda wrote: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 pm There is an error in the episode details for this one - it says that Shelly's car hit the Ferrari, but it was in fact the car chasing Shelly that hit the Ferrari. And later in the episode Magnum inspects the damage on that car (the four-door Ford, not Shelly's car).

Regards,

Jim
I was going to point this out myself...13 years and counting waiting for the correction.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#69 Post by ENSHealy »

Mark R.Y. wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm
Vanity wrote:The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.
Can anyone identify the movie poster with the yellow background on the marquee to the left of "The Last Waltz"?
It looks like Who'll Stop the Rain, which did come out in 78.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078490/

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#70 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Mark R.Y. wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm
Vanity wrote:The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.
Can anyone identify the movie poster with the yellow background on the marquee to the left of "The Last Waltz"?
It looks like Who'll Stop the Rain, which did come out in 78.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078490/

Interesting coincidence...I captured the above screen shot from the episode just this morning, shortly before posting the response above. I upload the screen shot to imgur so I can link to it in the post. Then I search for the movie Who'll Stop The Rain, and am served an add with....Javier Bardem in it. Internet conspiracy theorists...start your engines.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.21 Photo Play

Famous guest stars: .5 James Cromwell – Half a point for future fame…that’ll do, pig, that’ll do.
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1.5
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play: 1
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/643650304

The Episode Guide states “The estate's main house "living room" is seen for only the second time, following "This Island Isn't Big Enough" (6.16). The room has a new addition, satellite TV hookup! Higgins enthusiastically uses the new satellite hookup to watch the World Championships of Snooker.” However, Pahonu has correctly pointed out elsewhere on the forum that the room was also used in Kona Winds. However, in Kona Winds it featured a fireplace that isn’t seen in the other two episodes. It’s possible in This Island Isn’t Big Enough that the fireplace is just hidden behind the screen they are projecting Carol’s slides on, but in Photo Play, it looks like a solid, fireplace-free wall behind the big screen TV. For those interested in an in-depth study of the new living room, I’ve gathered video of all three of its season 6 appearances.

When the purse turns up empty at the Nice airport, I heard this in my head.

I love the subtle look James Cromwell gives his fellow gendarme right after Shelly says, “Oh, you speak English!”

It’s hard to believe the bad guys didn’t hear the chopper coming…
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#72 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:25 pm EPISODE: 6.21 Photo Play

Famous guest stars: .5 James Cromwell – Half a point for future fame…that’ll do, pig, that’ll do.
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1.5
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play: 1
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/643650304

The Episode Guide states “The estate's main house "living room" is seen for only the second time, following "This Island Isn't Big Enough" (6.16). The room has a new addition, satellite TV hookup! Higgins enthusiastically uses the new satellite hookup to watch the World Championships of Snooker.” However, Pahonu has correctly pointed out elsewhere on the forum that the room was also used in Kona Winds. However, in Kona Winds it featured a fireplace that isn’t seen in the other two episodes. It’s possible in This Island Isn’t Big Enough that the fireplace is just hidden behind the screen they are projecting Carol’s slides on, but in Photo Play, it looks like a solid, fireplace-free wall behind the big screen TV. For those interested in an in-depth study of the new living room, I’ve gathered video of all three of its season 6 appearances.

When the purse turns up empty at the Nice airport, I heard this in my head.

I love the subtle look James Cromwell gives his fellow gendarme right after Shelly says, “Oh, you speak English!”

It’s hard to believe the bad guys didn’t hear the chopper coming…
With a set used as infrequently as this, the panels would be torn down and stored between uses. When the carpenters rebuild it for the episode they make modifications like the fireplace. It looks different enough but isn’t a whole new construction. There’s only so much space on the soundstage and this is pretty common. I’ve noticed over the years a few episodes that seem to redress the guesthouse bedroom as another guest bedroom at the estate with a few of these alterations. All of these sets are panelized construction and conducive to quick modifications. A friend of mine worked a couple of years in carpentry at Warner’s in Burbank many years ago. He later moved to Sony in Culver City but is retired now.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 am With a set used as infrequently as this, the panels would be torn down and stored between uses. When the carpenters rebuild it for the episode they make modifications like the fireplace. It looks different enough but isn’t a whole new construction. There’s only so much space on the soundstage and this is pretty common. I’ve noticed over the years a few episodes that seem to redress the guesthouse bedroom as another guest bedroom at the estate with a few of these alterations. All of these sets are panelized construction and conducive to quick modifications. A friend of mine worked a couple of years in carpentry at Warner’s in Burbank many years ago. He later moved to Sony in Culver City but is retired now.
That's interesting Pahonu. I have noticed more than a few times the ranch house set on Bonanza was altered to look like it was another location for a scene set elsewhere. But surprisingly
for a series with a high budget it usually was a half assed effort and even as kids my brothers would immediately point that out. Mannix was shameless in using the same studio warehouse
over and over, scores of times, as a setting, only changing the entrance sign, no need for the carpenters you cited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cry of the Clan McDonald during the English Civil War: "Sons of dogs come, and we will will give you flesh."
They later expanded on this idea and opened up their first hamburger stand.
L.N.D.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#74 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 am With a set used as infrequently as this, the panels would be torn down and stored between uses. When the carpenters rebuild it for the episode they make modifications like the fireplace. It looks different enough but isn’t a whole new construction. There’s only so much space on the soundstage and this is pretty common. I’ve noticed over the years a few episodes that seem to redress the guesthouse bedroom as another guest bedroom at the estate with a few of these alterations. All of these sets are panelized construction and conducive to quick modifications. A friend of mine worked a couple of years in carpentry at Warner’s in Burbank many years ago. He later moved to Sony in Culver City but is retired now.
That's interesting Pahonu. I have noticed more than a few times the ranch house set on Bonanza was altered to look like it was another location for a scene set elsewhere. But surprisingly
for a series with a high budget it usually was a half assed effort and even as kids my brothers would immediately point that out. Mannix was shameless in using the same studio warehouse
over and over, scores of times, as a setting, only changing the entrance sign, no need for the carpenters you cited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cry of the Clan McDonald during the English Civil War: "Sons of dogs come, and we will will give you flesh."
L.N.D.
TV is about speed, no matter the budget. They need episodes done to a schedule and late isn’t an option. My friend used to joke that it didn’t matter how many workers you threw at a set, paint only dries so fast! :lol: It was an even more demanding schedule during Bonanza when 26 episodes a season was standard. Later it became 22. Now I don’t think there is a standard, even on network series.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:57 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 am

L.N.D.
TV is about speed, no matter the budget. They need episodes done to a schedule and late isn’t an option. My friend used to joke that it didn’t matter how many workers you threw at a set, paint only dries so fast! :lol: It was an even more demanding schedule during Bonanza when 26 episodes a season was standard. Later it became 22. Now I don’t think there is a standard, even on network series.
Pahonu, I like that line, "paint only dries so fast". The sort of perceived wisdom passed down thru generations of studio set workers. Or journeymen in other skilled trades, a journeyman printer for example
could very well be passing down a insightful observation or cutting remark that first occurred in Johannes Gutenberg's print shop in Mainz in 1439.
R. Lee Ermery was lauded for supplying the memorable insults his DI character laid on his training platoon in Full Metal Jacket, but generations of Marines had already heard them in person.
I like this bit from a bookie: "If you don't know who the mark is at the poker table, it's you".