4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 83

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Hotel Dick (6.5)

#46 Post by Tesza »

Episodes where the MPI main cast is sent abroad (whether it's U.S. mainland, Britain, France, Cambodia or just the other side of O'ahu) must always have been hard to create, of course, they are lacking of that "home advantage" and have to convince at another point. In this case it's not only an "away game" but also another step away from the characterization we're used to. I can't describe the real reason, but I think they did it perfectly well in here. Reading the other comments I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way, which makes it less unusual to me. :)

This one gets one score point more for my most favorite Magnum narration quote. "... but the reason clichés are clichés is because they ultimately either are true, or they work. That's why you never hear sayings you've never heard before. Those are the ones that haven't worked." He's just a philosopher disguised as a Private Investigator. Q.e.d. :lol:

By the way, I'm not sure withe the episodes, but it was not the first time Magnum wore reading glasses. I think he already had them in the first two seasons, if I'm not wrong ... :?:
Last edited by Tesza on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Re-watched this recently, and while I can see how some might find the premise a tad stifling, I didn't find it terrible or unbearable to watch. Granted, Clyde Daltrey is on par with Judge Doom in terms of hilariously obvious villains, but the payoff at the end is pretty well-earned. Plus T.C. leaping on top of the pile of people in the jewelry convention commotion is downright hilarious.

And that end shot! :D

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by KingKC »

I think this episode was decent to pretty good and kind of fun to watch. This is one of the few episodes where I see hidden meaning to MPI. TM tries a "real job" because he senses the private investigator gig is not working out, especially financially. It is that slow realization, starting with Mac's Back, that all is not well in TM's life, he is doubting himself, and changes are needed. TM quickly reverts back to the easier life of a PI but I think he knows things will have to change permanently at some time.

KingKC

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#49 Post by Mark R.Y. »

KingKC wrote:I think this episode was decent to pretty good and kind of fun to watch. This is one of the few episodes where I see hidden meaning to MPI. TM tries a "real job" because he senses the private investigator gig is not working out, especially financially. It is that slow realization, starting with Mac's Back, that all is not well in TM's life, he is doubting himself, and changes are needed. TM quickly reverts back to the easier life of a PI but I think he knows things will have to change permanently at some time.

KingKC
That's a good point about TM still going through the crisis we saw in "Mac's Back." "Maybe normal wasn't normal," as he says toward the end of this ep. He is seeing middle age coming up fast, and he needs to deal with that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I am not aware of anyone on the Magnum Boards finding the below in joke before, so maybe I can get it into the "Notes" section of the Episode Guide for "Hotel Dick".
Around the 29/ 30 minute mark Magnum explains to Clyde the hotel manager that he wasn't talking to anyone in his room, rather

"I had the tv on. You know one of those silly family sitcoms with these cute little kids and the father, see, he's a doctor".

At the time this episode aired, October 17, 1985,The Cosby Show, about a Doctor and his family, was running on NBC opposite Magnum PI.

Luther's nephew Dobie

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#51 Post by ConchRepublican »

KingKC wrote:I think this episode was decent to pretty good and kind of fun to watch. This is one of the few episodes where I see hidden meaning to MPI. TM tries a "real job" because he senses the private investigator gig is not working out, especially financially. It is that slow realization, starting with Mac's Back, that all is not well in TM's life, he is doubting himself, and changes are needed. TM quickly reverts back to the easier life of a PI but I think he knows things will have to change permanently at some time.

KingKC
Excellent observation, fits in with the larger view I take of the show about a vet readjusting to life post war.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
I am not aware of anyone on the Magnum Boards finding the below in joke before, so maybe I can get it into the "Notes" section of the Episode Guide for "Hotel Dick".
Around the 29/ 30 minute mark Magnum explains to Clyde the hotel manager that he wasn't talking to anyone in his room, rather

"I had the tv on. You know one of those silly family sitcoms with these cute little kids and the father, see, he's a doctor".

At the time this episode aired, October 17, 1985,The Cosby Show, about a Doctor and his family, was running on NBC opposite Magnum PI.

Luther's nephew Dobie
That's cool, I like when they drop little things like that in . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KingKC wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
Around the 29/ 30 minute mark Magnum explains to Clyde the hotel manager that he wasn't talking to anyone in his room, rather:
Luther's nephew Dobie
That's cool, I like when they drop little things like that in . . .
Hi Conch,
One might be surprised how many times tv writers slip in in jokes. On the Honeymooners, when they show the Raccoon Lodge, a chalkboard lists members in arrears for dues and the names are the main writers for the series.
I believe I have found the mother of all in jokes, an amazing one considering who is involved, and I figure people who like Tom Selleck westerns will like the following:

Wagon Train - Season 4 E09 The Colter Craven Story - YouTube

Check out the 42:30 mark at the above link for the Wagon Train episode,
"The Colter Craven Story" directed by John Ford.
In the scene where Adams(Ward Bond) meets General Grant at Shiloh,
General Sherman rides up and says, "Sam, Buells up. Means we can resume fighting in the morning."
But it is without a doubt Duke Wayne's voice and knowing that, you can easily discern it's Wayne in the darkly lit scene.
The credits(can't see them on Youtube, I again saw them on tv the other day) say Michael Morris played Sherman.
As you know Wayne's real name is Marion Michael Morrison.
Wayne previously portrayed Sherman in How the West Was Won where he is seen talking with Grant at Shiloh in a scene staged so like this episode there can be doubt the Wagon Train version is an in joke as both were directed by Ford.
Other members(Ken Curtis, Hank Worden,) of the John Ford stock company also appear in this episode with Ford favorite Ward Bond.
Ford also includes in this episode, as he did in many of his films such as The Searchers, a lingering shot of Ward Bond from behind to highlight his enormous rear end, just to again tick Bond off.
I have books on Wayne and Ford, saw many documentaries on their work but no one mentions the above, at least that I have seen. I did send it in to that IMBD or whatever its called movie site, they had it up for awhile, uncredited, then it disappeared.
By the way, just a few years ago some movie mavens determined that given total sales of his movies, how often they are shown world wide on various platforms, public interest/books/blogs/articles about them, that John Wayne is still the biggest movie star in the world, sorry Harrison Ford. Amazing, given he died in 1979.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by eagle »

I'm back around to this episode again, and it occurs to me that early on in the episode, the chase shows a good example of early parkour.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by K Hale »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:For one thing, since when was Magnum ever all that worried about his finances? Sure, he'd like to have more cash, and sure it'd be nice to get Rick, TC, and Higgins off his back -- but those have never seemed to be major priorities. It's not like he has to pay rent or anything. Now, all of a sudden, he's willing to give up his flexible lifestyle for the foreseeable future, just to have a more reliable income. Huh?

Rockford, on the other hand, does have to make trailer payments and pay utility bills every month. He's chronically under threat of having his phone service cut off for nonpayment. Taking a "real" job at least long enough to get his back bills paid would be a believable move for him.
I agree with all this and really disliked this dull episode, but just as an aside, I don't think utilities were included in the free living at the guest house. Remember the episode where it's believed that Magnum has not paid his phone bill, and it becomes a running gag throughout the episode? Can't recall which one, S1 or S2 I think. Turns out the lads chewed up the wires. But, if he pays a phone bill, I bet he has to pay electricity and water too. The guest house must have its own utilities.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Sam »

Hi K.Hale... I think it was season 1.. Don't Say Goodbye..Higgins was mad because a call was placed to the estate for Magnum... Agatha Kimball

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by K Hale »

The blind lady, yep. That actress was fantastic.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#57 Post by J.J. Walters »

eagle wrote:I'm back around to this episode again, and it occurs to me that early on in the episode, the chase shows a good example of early parkour.
LOL! Good observation! That's funny because I was just talking to my daughter about "parkour". I had no idea what it was until she told me. I seriously doubt the term "parkour" was around in the '80's, but it wouldn't surprise me that Magnum was ahead of the curve on it! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#58 Post by ☨magnum.t »

This episode makes me think TM sometimes has little reverse midlife crisis' he takes jobs that can be dull or mundane, that have a professional setting and structured rules that are not his. I think he takes jobs like this because it's the adult thing, the responsible thing to do. He also quickly realizes he does not like it. Of course he always sees himself as a professional but this is his way of sometimes proving it.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by K Hale »

What I found funny is the way he was wearing glasses but denied needing them. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#60 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:Although not a flub, there is a scene that is worth noting because it appears that TS is either reading from cue cards or he is merely regurgitating his lines in a very mechanical, unnatural way (his lines in Bold). The scene takes place in Magnum's Room/Office at the hotel after he finds the phone number from the bad guy's coat. Magnum dials the phone number and Leslie takes the phone from him and hangs it up whereby the following dialogue takes place between Leslie and Magnum:

LESLIE: "Who cares, I'm gone tomorrow, so are you, it's not our problem anymore. What's it matter?"

MAGNUM: "It matters."

LESLIE: "Why?"

MAGNUM: "It matters. It matters because some time you get to a point where easy rationalizations don't cut it anymore. There's gotta be a place where you stop and examine your life and if it isn't right then maybe you just got to say no, no more, or stop looking in the mirror." What do you think? :?
I just watched the episode--one I like quite a bit--with your criticism in mind but I interpreted Selleck's delivery of the line as something that Magnum was most likely saying to himself the whole time he had the hotel detective job. It was a way of telling himself that sentiment, even though he's speaking to Leslie. It's probably stretching things, but that's how I heard the lines.
Okay, it's eight years after the above post was made, and I find myself agreeing with me more than ever about this! :lol: No one else seemed to agree with me, at least in actually replying to the post. I believe I made a most valid point. It's a great scene in the episode; I love it. It says so much about how far Thomas has come over the past six seasons.

The Hotel Dick is among my top-ten-favorite episodes, and it's always the first one I watch, even before I go back to season one and restart another full series viewing.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck