7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 90

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

I have, uh, "issues" with certain colors (particularly green/grey), so I have no idea what color it is. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#47 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:after wondering what vehicle Magnum was briefly seen driving in the previous episode, ‘I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway…’, it is seen in the background of the Estate here. I presume it is another upgrade to the Jimmy, Robin 3, making it the third version seen on the show.
It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's the replacement for the Jimmy no. 2.

And the Ferrari is definitely green.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bridge

#48 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

rubber chicken wrote:When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:
The bridge was destroyed for the first time in "The Big Blow" (3.22) near the end of the episode. :wink:
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The bridge

#49 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:
The bridge was destroyed for the first time in "The Big Blow" (3.22) near the end of the episode. :wink:
Wait never mind. It was destroyed at the BEGINNING of the episode.
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sisophous »

I find it interesting how episodes I rated as boring or sub par yet watch a year or two later I see differently and entertaining. Perhaps this series grows on you over time.

This nephew of Robin Masters, RJ, is such a weasel it becomes annoying yet at the same time kept me thinking what will he do next. Just when you think he will reform himself he connives one last time at the very end.

At least the brat showed some restraint in only whacking Rick in the back of the head with a beer bottle when he was defenseless rather than using a deadly object.

And RJ even short circuits the security gate box after Higgins changed the password to open the front gate. He does whatever it takes.

I think this episode could have been improved if they had Higgins or Magnum put their foot down instead of turning their cheek each time RJ pulled his shenanigans. Overall, I still enjoyed it.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Summer School (6.13)

#51 Post by Doc Fred »

I agree with Bes... this was a very poor episode.... Only the one with the dumb girl from Magnum's high school class was worse (but not by much).

In another show, there was discussion of TC's van driving by in the background when Magnum was inside a building... I think (think) the show may have done something similar this time. When RJ was being chased in his car by the hit men, there was a scene in which he makes a quick left, cutting off a vehicle that looked like Magnum was driving... Not sure if it WAS Magnum, but it sure looked a lot like him.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#52 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote:Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

I have, uh, "issues" with certain colors (particularly green/grey), so I have no idea what color it is. :?
That looks gray to the point of almost being black to me.

As for the episode: I didn't like it. The kid came across as a psycho to me. I was hoping Rick would pop up in the guys apartment at the end like Mark Wahlberg in The Departed to get some payback for that beer bottle.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MagnumILWU »

Watching this yesterday on Encore. RJ had his scrapbook on Magnum. I wonder if someone still has the scrapbook?!
"pickled egg please"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote:Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

Croix de Lorraine wrote: And the Ferrari is definitely green.
marlboro wrote: That looks gray to the point of almost being black to me.
That Ferrari, as it appears on the NTSC DVD release, is gray. Here is a 5×5 pixel average sample taken from the lower part of the door:

As you can see, the RGB value is 60, 60, 60, which is a perfect shade of gray. Any color which consists of equal parts of red, green, and blue is a perfect shade of gray, except for 0, 0, 0, which is black, and 255, 255, 255, which is white. I had to test a few spots to find a perfect shade of gray, but regardless of where you test on the car, it is always close to gray. However, green is never the most prominent color; the order of prominence, from highest to lowest, is always blue, green, red. For example, here's a sample from the hood:

So if it could be called anything other gray, it would be blue-gray.

Given that the various shades of green in the lawn and trees show up fine, I can only conclude that the car was gray in reality, just as it appears on the DVD, and Magnum calling it "green" in the episode was an error.

Tobi
Captain

#55 Post by Tobi »

I am in the minority here. I liked both the episode and the grey/green Ferrari!

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#56 Post by Big Kahuna »

Can someone please explain to me the Toronto Blue Jays link to RJ and this episode? Tate Donovan himself is from New Jersey, was screenwriter Bruce Cervi originally from Toronto?
Ta.
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I believe that's a reference to the Blue Jays and the Tigers' famous rivalry back in the day.

From Wikipedia:
The Detroit Tigers are the Blue Jays' geographic and traditional rival, dating back to the 1980s, when the teams were AL East contenders. The Tigers moved to the AL Central in 1998, and the rivalry has died down as a result, with the teams facing each other only six to seven times per year since 2011.
So basically, RJ's sticking it to Magnum in hat form. :lol:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#58 Post by K Hale »

Jodykmg365 wrote:This is one of my favorite episodes. I thought R.J. was just adorable. He sure knew how to get into trouble. However, if he was 20 years old, what was he still doing in boarding school?
I enjoyed the episode but thought RJ was a psycho. Borderline creepy stalkerism. Made trouble for Magnum, disrespected Higgins, hit Rick over the head and knocked him out... easily one of my most disliked guest characters. Tate Donovan did a fine job tho.

Oh, and the car looks dark green to me...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by KingKC »

This episode gets a definite "meh" from me.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#60 Post by T.Q. »

tangcameo wrote:I'd rate this as one of the bad episodes if it weren't for the following facts:

1. MY first and middle initials are R.J.
2. I'm Canadian
3. I was a Blue Jays fan (at the time).
4. I wanted to be a writer (I still am) or a p.i.

OMG I remember seeing this episode for the first time and I was FLOORED! It was like one of the writer's was some family friend and decided to give young Ryan James a little wish fullfilment. LOL

Thank you to Bruce Cervi!

But two things still bug me:
1. A forest green Ferrari? Puh-lease! Yellow maybe. But green?
2. And R.J. (the fictional one, not me) was such a wuss and a weasel.

But still... Thanks!
I loved (love) this episode for the same reasons.

Growing up in Toronto as a massive Blue Jays fan this episode really spoke to me.

I saw myself in RJ (attitude aside) as the excited kid wanting to be Magnum. :magnum:

Was a ‘wish I was that actor who got to guest star’ moment.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.