6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 107

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by MaiTaiMan »

"Echoes of the Mind"...the title says it all, baby! :wink: I LOVE anything psychological, suspenseful, eerie, spooky, bizarre, etc...and this delightful, little bone-chilling, 2-part, season premiere was exactly all of this!!

One of my all-time favorites--I love the "Hitchcockian" style plot twists as we get to view the bizarre but fascinating mental collapse of the sweet but psychotic Diane Dupres...and then the venomous lies and back-stabbings of Diane's hateful, nympho-aggressive twin sister Diedre---but which one is which? :shock: Sharon Stone did a superb job with the character/s and this was back when she was still pretty hot! :wink: :lol:

The opening scenes of the Porsche racing down a dark, wet beach cliff road at dusk, while the eerie and spine-tingling music plays in the background are superb and mezmerizing! It gives me goosebumps everytime and I'm like: "Here we go...this is gonna be wild!" :D I also love how throughout the episode you kept thinking someone (either Diedre or someone else) was hiding in Diane's closet, watching and waiting for the right moment to pounce. But, in reality it was a dead guy, supposedly still watching in...well is it Diane's or Diedre's mind?? Yup...exactly! :shock:

Then we suddenly get a double treat! Besides Magnum and Diane...we get to see how Higgins almost throws his life away on a venomous and heartless woman of his own! I love how Higgins suddenly realizes what an uncaring "harpy" Lady Ashley turns out to be...and how he and Agatha trick Lady Ashley and her idiot man-companion to call the wedding off! :lol: I always thought Higgins and Agatha should have ended up together. :wink: However, even if they did a reunion movie or something this can never be now...as Gillian Dobb (Agatha Chumley) sadly passed away in 2001. :cry:

The end of this episode was very wild and blunt-quick...very "Miami Vice-ish". It left you going..."Whoa!" :o But, it was supposed to. "Echoes of the Mind" was and still is a very effective psychological shocker for "Magnum" and 80's television! Beautiful!! 8)

(I put this same review for Part 2)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:"Echoes of the Mind"...the title says it all, baby! :wink: I LOVE anything psychological, suspenseful, eerie, spooky, bizarre, etc...and this delightful, little bone-chilling, 2-part, season premiere was exactly all of this!!

One of my all-time favorites--I love the "Hitchcockian" style plot twists as we get to view the bizarre but fascinating mental collapse of the sweet but psychotic Diane Dupres...and then the venomous lies and back-stabbings of Diane's hateful, nympho-aggressive twin sister Diedre---but which one is which? :shock: Sharon Stone did a superb job with the character/s and this was back when she was still pretty hot! :wink: :lol:

The opening scenes of the Porsche racing down a dark, wet beach cliff road at dusk, while the eerie and spine-tingling music plays in the background are superb and mezmerizing! It gives me goosebumps everytime and I'm like: "Here we go...this is gonna be wild!" :D I also love how throughout the episode you kept thinking someone (either Diedre or someone else) was hiding in Diane's closet, watching and waiting for the right moment to pounce. But, in reality it was a dead guy, supposedly still watching in...well is it Diane's or Diedre's mind?? Yup...exactly! :shock:

Then we suddenly get a double treat! Besides Magnum and Diane...we get to see how Higgins almost throws his life away on a venomous and heartless woman of his own! I love how Higgins suddenly realizes what an uncaring "harpy" Lady Ashley turns out to be...and how he and Agatha trick Lady Ashley and her idiot man-companion to call the wedding off! :lol: I always thought Higgins and Agatha should have ended up together. :wink: However, even if they did a reunion movie or something this can never be now...as Gillian Dobb (Agatha Chumley) sadly passed away in 2001. :cry:

The end of this episode was very wild and blunt-quick...very "Miami Vice-ish". It left you going..."Whoa!" :o But, it was supposed to. "Echoes of the Mind" was and still is a very effective psychological shocker for "Magnum" and 80's television! Beautiful!! 8)

You said it all Mag Tai Man. Overall they both are very entertaining episodes, both TM's and Higgins story lines. Two of my al time favorites!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:"Echoes of the Mind"...the title says it all, baby! :wink: I LOVE anything psychological, suspenseful, eerie, spooky, bizarre, etc...and this delightful, little bone-chilling, 2-part, season premiere was exactly all of this!!

You said it all Mag Tai Man. Overall they both are very entertaining episodes, both TM's and Higgins story lines. Two of my al time favorites!
Exactly!! Can watch this one over and over! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Sisophous »

Last night, I viewed part 1 of Echoes of the Mind and really enjoyed it. The acting is excellent and it had my attention the entire time unlike the weaker episodes that at times drag or become boring.

I read some bad reviews about seasons 5 and 6 so put off viewing these episodes a second time. This first episode of season 5 so far is excellent.

Looking at the 8 Seasons this series ran, I think Season 5 has the characters in their prime, energetic and lively. In seasons 7 and 8 the script is the best but the characters are aging and at times are on the lethargic side, especially Higgins and Magnum.

I'm watching part 2 of Echoes of the Mind tonight and really look forward to it. I've watched these before but forgot about them, it feels like I'm seeing it for the first time.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#65 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Echoes of the Mind" is one of the best episodes of the entire series, IMHO. A virtually unknown Sharon Stone is just fantastic in this early-career appearance. She really carries this episode. I remember watching this when it originally aired and thinking, "this lady is going to be a star!"

Ms. Stone in 1984. Wow! :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Sisophous »

Thanks J.J. for the photo.

Sharon Stone is attractive but something about her always turned me off. I think she comes across as very seductive but also emphatically arrogant on film....... Look at me, I am it, no one else measures up to me. I am the most beautiful.

Part 2 which I just viewed is a major disappointment. I rated part 1 as 5 stars but part 2 of Echoes of the Mind as 3 stars.

Sharon Stone playing her twin sister in two roles is not believable, they are obviously the same person. And, Higgins playing himself and his half brother is also absurd it is so obvious. The delusional Sharon Stone playing Diane and taking her life is another poorly written script. The ending makes little sense other than Sharon Stone in the role of Diane is a loon and hallucinating. This part 2 is a bad episode but I still rated it as 3 stars for a few good segments such as Higgins being honest about his wrongly interpreted marriage intent.

The script writers took a 5 star episode from part 1 and really turned out a piece of crap in the second part with another confusing ending which only they understand while the public is left guessing.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:"Echoes of the Mind" is one of the best episodes of the entire series, IMHO. A virtually unknown Sharon Stone is just fantastic in this early-career appearance. She really carries this episode. I remember watching this when it originally aired and thinking, "this lady is going to be a star!"

Can not have said it better myself, J.J.! :) I actually liked the "early" Sharon Stone, rather than the now somewhat bizarre and not-really-heard-about-anymore actress. She guest-starred on an early "Remington Steele" episode too.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#68 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

IslandHopper wrote: 1. The opening scene of the porsche speeding around the curved road may not technically be a flub, but I have always found it very cheesy how they sped up the film to make it appear that the car was going faster than it actually was.
I think they did that in some earlier episodes as well. It was a common trick in old Westerns. The problem was the rider's arms also moved ridiculously fast, making an epic scene unintentionally comic. :)

The embarrassingly funky cover version of the Blade Runner theme that can be heard in that very scene can also be considered a flub.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#69 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

maggiepoole wrote:Thomas pulls a bowl of fig newtons out of the fridge to have with his milk. Isn't that kind of an odd place to keep your fig newtons? Just in a cereal bowl, not even a container! Wouldn't they get stale?! :roll: Cracks me up the empty paper towel roll too.
Worse still - Magnum doesn't even have the decency to offer Higgins a drink!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#70 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Sisophous wrote: Sharon Stone is attractive but something about her always turned me off. I think she comes across as very seductive but also emphatically arrogant on film....... Look at me, I am it, no one else measures up to me. I am the most beautiful.
I'm afraid that must be a reflection of her real-life personality. Anyone who goes around telling people she's a member of Mensa must be arrogant. Actually, anyone who tries to join Mensa must be arrogant.

On a different subject, there is another flub. Higgins says "black as Manchester coal". There are no coal mines in Manchester, and Higgins should know that. :oops:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#71 Post by J.J. Walters »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:On a different subject, there is another flub. Higgins says "black as Manchester coal". There are no coal mines in Manchester, and Higgins should know that. :oops:
Sure there is. The Lancashire Coalfield is all around Manchester. Higgins usually isn't wrong. He utters very few flubs. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:"Echoes of the Mind" is one of the best episodes of the entire series, IMHO. and thinking, "this lady is going to be a star!"

I first saw Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct (1992), shot about 8 years after this Echoes of the Mind was filmed and she looks even better. Sharon Stone attracted a lot of people with her beautiful face, seductive voice and mesmerizing eyes. As for her body, she isn't all that appealing.

Watched this again last night and Part 1 was great but in Part 2 it fizzled. The ending was a shocker. As others point out, it seems the entire tone of the series changed with this episode. It took on a more serious nature.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Stelth »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Regarding the flubs, #3, is an old smokers trick - Paddy rips the filter off of the cigarette, then smokes it filterless. Hence, the reason the cigarette is all white.
Hey James,

Thank you for your reply. However, I must respectfully disagree with you regarding flub #3. :) If you watch Father Paddy pick up the cigarette from the ash tray (with the colored filter) and put it in his mouth, it clearly is not the same cigarette. The cigarette he picks up from the ash tray is only about a half-inch long minus the colored filter. However, when he puts the cigarette in his mouth, it is much longer. Now, it appears to me that this new cigarette has a white filter at the end, but even if it doesn't have a filter at the end, it is still a totally different cigarette than what he picked up from the tray, as it is twice as long. This of course, is only my humble opinion.

You missed the point: this was a cigarette version of the "loaves and fishes" miracle.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: Echoes of the Mind (1) (5.1)

#74 Post by Seaver41 »

hadn't seen this one in 30 years or so...........early Sharon Stone.....me-ow.

One thing I would like to throw out..........if you are looking for the perfect Magnum script with no continuity, plot, or technical issues........it's not out there. As much as I love the series the one realization I have to come to grips with is the episodes are not nearly as perfect as I would like to remember. There's usually some kind of flaw in each.

That said......in this episode, the issue I have is the dog attack. Why not get back in the Ferrari? Or run? Why become a chew toy?

the beauty of the show for me works if the bigger picture of any episode buries the blemishes.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: Echoes of the Mind (1) (5.1)

#75 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

The car accident, at the beginning of the episode, happened along the Kalanianaole Hwy, between Hanauma Bay and the Lanai Lookout.

now

I think they used a little trick to fool us in this scene.
Despite she'd be alone, we can clearly see there are two people fighting inside the car.
We are watching the scene with our eyes and not with her eyes, so we should not see two people!
ImageImage

In the same time we can also see they are dressed in different ways!

From this view, in front of the Makai Pier, you can briefly see Kaohikaipu Island
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.