2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 107

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Echoes of the Mind (1) (5.1)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Echoes of the Mind (1) (5.1). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 9/27/1984
It's double trouble for Magnum when he finds himself falling for sexy Diane Dupres, only to discover that her seductive twin sister, Deidre, claims that Diane is a paranoid hysteric with a history of attempted murder.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

I know Echoes of the Mind (1 & 2) is one of the favorites for many MPI fans. However, for me, it is one of my least favorites. Don't get me wrong, there are scenes and sub-plots that I enjoy, such as Higgins' hapiness over his impending marriage to The Lady Ashley, and the problem Higgins is faced with when Agatha assumes he is going to marry her, but overall this episode just seemed to "UNMAGNUMESQUE."

In most of the episodes prior to Echoes of the Mind, Magnum has exhibited unique deductive reasoning skills and uncanny intuition, which ultimately helps him solve these often complex mysteries.

This episode started out with magnum talking about his intuition, and described how he woke up at 4:00 in the morning knowing he was going to meet a woman (Diane Dupres) that will change his life. Then the next scene shows Magnum waiting for her on the beach. Then Magnum suddenly rushes off to save Diane from the two dogs. However, that's where his intuition seemed to end during this episode.

Early in the episode Diane gives Magnum her diary to read, and he says he will read it that night. He doesn't read it that night, or the next. Meanwhile, Diane is exhibiting bizarre behavior because of the trauma that she suffers from as a result of her abduction as a child. However, if Magnum had read the diary on the first day, he would have realized that she was a split personality. I realize that is how the story was supposed to be, but this episode really makes Magnum look like an amateur and even negligent for not reading the diary sooner, especially after knowing the trauma Diane had endured as a child.

It just seems to me that Magnum, knowing of the abduction of Diane and her sister when they were children would have inspired him or triggered something in him to read her diary much sooner. While Magnum knew this important information, it's hard to believe that nothing went off in his head to compel him to do this. I think the writers of this episode went way out on a limb here and made his behavior too uncharacteristic.

The writers were clever in making it look like someone in the house was peering through the closet doors, however, this just seemed to make things more confusing for me when it was revealed that Diane's sister was dead and Diane was a split personality. I assume the person looking out of the closet at Magnum in the shower was actually Diane. But, what about the bearded man in the suit? Was he actually in the house peering through the closet? Did he actually fall out of the closet dead at the end, or was that just a figment of Diane's imagination? :? If this guy was real and really did fall dead from the closet, then why didn't Magnum and Higgins find him after they rushed over to Diane's because she said she just killed a man with a beard? Higgins checked the grounds and found nothing, but wouldn't they have checked the interior of the house too, including the closets, etc. This was all just very hard for me to believe.

Actually, I would have preferred this episode more if Diane's sister were alive and actually appeared at the house without Diane's knowledge and seduced Magnum. :twisted: The expression on Magnum's face when he thought it was Deidre he slept with was one of the better parts of this episode.

The following are Flubs for parts 1 & 2:

1. The opening scene of the porsche speeding around the curved road may not technically be a flub, but I have always found it very cheesy how they sped up the film to make it appear that the car was going faster than it actually was.

2. When Magnum, TC and Diane are flying in the chopper, the last shot of the chopper flying and banking slightly to the right shows the tail rotor blade on the right side. The tail rotor is supposed to be on the left as in the previous shots.

3. (Part 2) When Lady Ashley and her Solicitor are sitting at the dinner table waiting for Higgins, Father Patty shows up and fishes for an old cigarette in the ash tray. :shock: As he searches for a cigarette, you can see there are 3 cigarettes in the ash tray, all with a colored filter. He picks up one of the 3 cigarettes with the colored filter, however, after he lights the cigarette, the camera cuts to a close up of Father Patty and you can clearly see that the cigarette is not the same one he picked up just seconds before, as this cigarette has a white filter.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Excellent observations IslandHopper!

And I agree, this episode is a little overrated. The diary, the guy in the closet, Magnum's premonition - all glaring plot holes.

My favorite "WTH" moment, one that for me is unintentionally funny, is when Magnum and the gang are hanging out on the KKC patio (Kahala Hilton location, btw) when all of a sudden Magnum stands up slowly like a robot, "Diane's in trouble. I have to go." Magnum rushes off and finds Diane about to be attacked by some dogs miles away. That's right, Magnum is clairvoyant! :shock:

Still, overall the episode is quite good; better than most. A great opening, mucho Higgins backstory, some touching moments with Higgins & Magnum, a classic ending and then there is, of course ............. SHARON STONE!
A pre-famous Stone really gives, IMHO, a fantastic performance in these dual roles. You can really see from this two-part episode that she was destined to become a star. And this was more than four years before her "breakout" performance in Total Recall! She was a spring chicken here. Without Stone, this episode wouldn't be nearly as good as it is today.

Regarding the flubs, I wouldn't catergorize #1 as a flub, it was intentional. #3, is an old smokers trick - Paddy rips the filter off of the cigarette, then smokes it filterless. Hence, the reason the cigarette is all white. Paddy does it in Faith and Beggorah, as well. #2 is a great flub spot and has been added to the episode guide.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Regarding the flubs, #3, is an old smokers trick - Paddy rips the filter off of the cigarette, then smokes it filterless. Hence, the reason the cigarette is all white.
Hey James,

Thank you for your reply. However, I must respectfully disagree with you regarding flub #3. :) If you watch Father Paddy pick up the cigarette from the ash tray (with the colored filter) and put it in his mouth, it clearly is not the same cigarette. The cigarette he picks up from the ash tray is only about a half-inch long minus the colored filter. However, when he puts the cigarette in his mouth, it is much longer. Now, it appears to me that this new cigarette has a white filter at the end, but even if it doesn't have a filter at the end, it is still a totally different cigarette than what he picked up from the tray, as it is twice as long. This of course, is only my humble opinion.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, you are correct. When will I learn? Never doubt IslandHopper! ;)

It's weird, though. I totally remembered that scene as Paddy picking up the cigarette, ripping off the filter, then smoking it. :? Speaking as an ex-smoker, further evidence as to why you shouldn't smoke - you remember stuff that never actually happened!

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

I am glad I'm not the only one who thought I was dense in missing something about the man in the closet? I finally chalked it up to one of those things left deliberately vague so the reader could draw their own conclusion. My conclusion? "i don't get it" LOL But I'm blonde.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Ah, you are correct. When will I learn? Never doubt IslandHopper! ;)

It's weird, though. I totally remembered that scene as Paddy picking up the cigarette, ripping off the filter, then smoking it. :? Speaking as an ex-smoker, further evidence as to why you shouldn't smoke - you remember stuff that never actually happened!
No worries James, this is all in fun. :D Thanks to you, we all have an outlet to discuss our favorite show. Thanks again.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#8 Post by Tuan Vu »

Hi.

I don't know if this counts as a flub, but I noticed at 1:59 on my DVD, just as the "ECHOES OF THE MIND" title appears on the screen, a man is seen running across the bottom of the screen. I just thought it was interesting that someone was running across the road at just that moment. :D

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Welcome to the boards Tuan Vu, and thanks for the observation.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice spot Tuan Vu! I would say it's a flub. It's clearly a crew member running to get out of the way of the shot. I've added the flub to the episode guide.

Thanks

And welcome to MM!

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

Just been reading everyones reviews of this and some real interesting ones, dont know about anyone else but I found the Higgins story more interesting than the Magnum one, I feel they could have dedicated an entire episode to this, as it's not everyday Higgins says he will marry!!!
Also found the scene when Higgins had to let down Agather very touching, I really felt for her and Higgins, I dont no if it's just me or I didnt notice before but Higgins character at times has become much more sencere, I noticed it from middle of season four up to this episode, im really enjoying Higgins's character more now than ever!! :D

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Magnums Little Voice wrote:Just been reading everyones reviews of this and some real interesting ones, dont know about anyone else but I found the Higgins story more interesting than the Magnum one, I feel they could have dedicated an entire episode to this, as it's not everyday Higgins says he will marry!!!
Also found the scene when Higgins had to let down Agather very touching, I really felt for her and Higgins, I dont no if it's just me or I didnt notice before but Higgins character at times has become much more sencere, I noticed it from middle of season four up to this episode, im really enjoying Higgins's character more now than ever!! :D
Higgins is like a fine wine, he gets better with time.

To me, he's up there at Magnum level.

He started off as a dictator who wanted nothing to do with Magnum and his escapades, then begrudging accomplice, then accomplice, then willing accomplice, then friend.

The more they opened up Higgins' character, the more human characteristics showed up, so now instead of a tyrant, he's just a slightly anal-retentive guy with a penchant for dobermans and khakis.

:lol:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

The home of Diane & Diedre Dupres is located here in Makiki Heights.

It's now known as The Spalding House, or maybe simply The Contemporary Museum Honolulu, of which it is the main building. This former home is just to the NNE of the home of Mitsu McWilliams from The Taking of Dick McWilliams (2.10), which is also part of The Contemporary Museum Honolulu, and I believe is known as the William Twigg-Smith Gallery. This is a great opportunity for Magnum fans traveling to Oahu to see two locations from the show, inside and out. It seems visitors are free to room the property as they please.

From this page (check the great picture to see where Magnum and Diedre are having their conversation - you can also see where TC lands his chopper in the yard to the right):
The Contemporary Museum, Honolulu (2411 Makiki Heights Drive, 808-526-1322; www.tcmhi.org), above left, swaddled in green and with a panoramic view, features a setting and architecture that are as much a draw as its art collection. The gardens, built by a Japanese garden master, the Rev. K. H. Inagaki, in the 1920’s, encourage contemplative strolls around a gracious estate built in 1925 by Alice Cooke Spalding, founder of the Honolulu Academy of Arts. The gardens’ serenity complements the gracefulness of George Rickey’s kinetic sculptures and Deborah Butterfield’s larger-than-life signature horse.
The museum also has a nice cafe. (Check out more great pictures on that page.) Looks likes a great way for a Magnum P.I. fan to possibly have lunch and wonder around Magnum filming locations.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

RC,

Okay, cool! That's a great to have found (though I personally didn't like these episodes directly BECAUSE of Sharon Stone, who, only in my opinion, canNOT act! But I've already discussed that.). Anyway, Larry likes botanical stuff, so I can probably get him to go here -- he just won't
know WHY!! :lol: :lol:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:This is a great opportunity for Magnum fans traveling to Oahu to see two locations from the show, inside and out. It seems visitors are free to room the property as they please.
Yes!! I'm there! :)

Thanks again RC!