6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 107

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#41 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Agatha, I just now noticed your title and love it! Great job!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#42 Post by Agatha »

Thank, IKnowWhatYoureThinking! I've been thinking about it for a while...even watched Echoes of the Mind a couple of extra times to get Higgins's title straight in my mind.

Pretty fun!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#43 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Your research really paid off! I love the creativity of the people on this forum!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

The first story of the fifth season, and this is the point where the series started to change a bit in my eyes. Incidentally, I just got through watching this episode, went back to TV, where Sharon Stone is in a movie, ‘The Quick and the Dead’. She sure gets about!

[rating=8.5]

Magnum is hired by attractive socialite Diane Dupres, once kidnapped as a child with her twin sister, and who now is experiencing a series of strange occurrences. Magnum and Diane quickly get very close. The tone of the series changes somewhat from here on…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

The fifth season opens with this two-part story (working title: ‘Sister, Sister’). Although previous feature-length stories also exist in two-part format for syndication and various overseas packages, etc., this is the show’s first story to originally be shown in two instalments.

And with the arrival of the fifth season, there is a notable change in tone for the show. In the first four seasons, the plots were typically more investigation and adventure led, albeit with many character moments thrown in. But by the fifth season, things were changing – things generally started to become very much more character led, with less emphasis on action and adventure.

The story is written by Donald P. Bellisario, and while I don’t dislike it, it lacks the classy feel and clever moments of some of his previous works on the series. The only touches I do like, is of Magnum ‘expecting someone’ to come into his life (even mistaking Diane for his once-wife Michelle for a moment).

Sharon Stone, then on the verge of making the big-time, puts in a fair role as Diane / Deidre. From the off, I kind of guessed what her ‘secret’ was, but it still plays out very well.

The more light-hearted moments of the plot comes as Higgins plans to marry Lady Ashley (here appearing rather unexplainedly different from her appearance at the end of the second season episode ‘Computer Date’, where she was played by a different actress), but, due to a misunderstanding, leaves Agatha thinking that he intends to marry her instead!

Even knowing what the twist and outcome of the story regarding Diane / Deidre is, the story is still a reasonable watch, if a little stretched to become a two-parter. But it for me just sums up how the series was starting to take a different direction, and leaves the fifth and sixth seasons as my least favourite of the show’s run. These two seasons, and this two-parter in particular, just don’t feel like the show that MPI once was in my opinion. (Thankfully, things would pick up again in the last couple of seasons).

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* As mentioned in my review (or ramble, as I’ve come to term them), this is the first story to originally air as a two-parter.

* The opening trailer features a shot looking up from the ground as one of the Rottweiler attacks Magnum. This particular shot was not used in the actual episode.

* Maybe someone can confirm / deny this: is the Club’s beach bar location different from this season? It looks different to me.

* Rick only appears in one scene in this half of the story.

* The site’s main page for this episode is incorrect: It says Deborah Pratt makes her first appearance as T.C.’s girlfriend Gloria in this episode. In fact, she was first seen in the fourth season episode ‘Rembrandt’s Girl’.

* When Five broadcast this episode in 2002, they made two slight edits:
1. The sequence where Magnum is mauled by the Rottweiler is trimmed down. In the Five version, they lead at him, knocking him to the ground, before it cuts to Diane firing the gun.
2. The scene in the hospital where Magnum is being stitched up is shortened slightly. When Diane arrives with clothes for Magnum, the end of the scene is cut off – presumably to remove a graphic shot of Magnum’s mauled leg.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* Maybe someone can confirm / deny this: is the Club’s beach bar location different from this season? It looks different to me.
Yes, the KKC was temporarily moved to the Kahala Hilton, a short distance up the beach from the normal spot (Waialae Beach Park). The last episode to feature the Kahala Hilton is "Little Games".
Jay-Firestorm wrote:* The site’s main page for this episode is incorrect: It says Deborah Pratt makes her first appearance as T.C.’s girlfriend Gloria in this episode. In fact, she was first seen in the fourth season episode ‘Rembrandt’s Girl’.
Doh! :oops:

Thanks for the correction!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#46 Post by Higgy_baby »

I not a big fan of this two parter and here's why:

1. I don't think Sharon Stone is all that hot. Check her out with no makeup in the passenger seat of the Porsche. A lot sexier women have graced the show IMHO. Stone can act though. (this is likely just me, because I also fail to see why guys fawn over Angelina Jolie)

2. Magnum at long last meets the love of his life and she's a tormented mental case.

3. Magnum just doesn't feel like Magnum.

4. Lady Ashley's interaction with her Eunic soliciter is the horrible old Hollywood Brit stereotype stuff way overdone.

5. The pic of young Higgie that Agatha keeps looks like another Art School prop boy mishap. No blousing of BD pants over left puttee is visible, don't even get me started on the Beret....

OK on the positive, I liked the way the show went out with a bang, a presumed bang to the girl's head in fact. Although I'm not a fan of the over serious Magnum PI episosdes, if you are going to do it, this is the way. Hawaii Five-O always ended like this. Something bad happens and BAM, right to credits. It hits like a punch to the gut. No cutsie denouement at the end to make us all feel good.

This opener is a sign that the show is changing, and why I think some folks have categorized Seasons 1-4 as having a different feel and in some cases their favourite Magnum era.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#47 Post by J.J. Walters »

Never noticed this before, but the crew member that darts across the road in the opening shot, it happens just as the episode title appears!

LOVE this opening scene! One of the best in the series IMHO.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by MACattack »

Sharon Stone was smokin HOT in this episode. It's too bad her character was a totall schizo!
I just don't give a damn!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Danno »

I love this episode for it's ridiculous 80s style.

It is OTT. Sharon Stone is perfectly cast. Her bad acting is perfect as a mad, hot bombshell driving a Porsche through the night while wearing Porsche aviators and the Blade Runner music pumping.

Magnum's mysterious connection to her is cheesy/camp absurdity.

'I'm not in love with her! ... But I'm afraid I could be.'
I mean, c'mon...! What is this?! The ridiculous script makes me take this episode lightly. Almost as if the show is making a parody of itself.

Hawaii looks hypercoloured. Higgin's Britishness seems turned up.
Everything about this episode is crazy.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#50 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

The one thing that really ticked me off about this ep is that I just felt really bad for Agatha, and I don't get why her and Higgy couldn't just hook up :(

I loved seeing Sharon Stone in this, and can clearly see why she went as far as she has in acting.
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#51 Post by Agatha »

I spent some time feeling badly that Higgins and Agatha didn't/couldn't hook up, too, Jelly Doughnuts, but in the end decided that she was really better off without him...as a husband, I mean. He got what he needed...some attention. And she got what she needed...someone to "mother." It would NOT have been good for them to be in the type of relationship where she would get the idea that she could actually depend on him for anything! And this episode is a perfect example of that.

This is one of my least favorite episodes because of the Sharon Stone story line and how frustrating it is for me that Thomas never finds someone to love. But then I realized that I was missing out on this really sweet Agatha/Higgins story line so have been watching it more lately. I LOVE Agatha's house and this is the only episode that we really see it...and get to go inside.

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#52 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

Agatha wrote:I spent some time feeling badly that Higgins and Agatha didn't/couldn't hook up, too, Jelly Doughnuts, but in the end decided that she was really better off without him...as a husband, I mean. He got what he needed...some attention. And she got what she needed...someone to "mother." It would NOT have been good for them to be in the type of relationship where she would get the idea that she could actually depend on him for anything! And this episode is a perfect example of that.

This is one of my least favorite episodes because of the Sharon Stone story line and how frustrating it is for me that Thomas never finds someone to love. But then I realized that I was missing out on this really sweet Agatha/Higgins story line so have been watching it more lately. I LOVE Agatha's house and this is the only episode that we really see it...and get to go inside.

I guess you're right there re Higgy & Agatha. Poor Agatha though I felt so embarrassed for her, though it was a hell of an assumption to make!

And yes, I too found it really sad and frustrating that Thomas was left alone, again.
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by zebra3 »

J.J. Walters wrote:Excellent observations IslandHopper!

And I agree, this episode is a little overrated. The diary, the guy in the closet, Magnum's premonition - all glaring plot holes.
Well technically he couldn't read the diary the first night as he would have, because he had to stay with her. And the body/person in the closet got creepier after you knew Diane had a split personality. I feel like a lot of this episode makes more sense and has more emotional heft after the ending. The man in the closet, the diary, the fact that magnum slept with a twin...the meaning of all of it changes once the episode ends and you have to go over it in your mind.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah... Did I say that? *ahem* Can I take it back? That was quite a while ago. This has become one of my favorite episodes!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by zebra3 »

Haha understandable, but admit it, you were a little creeped out when you realized at the end of part one that there was a person in the closet (the man who she shot at, presumably). Then when you thought it might be her twin, you were a little more creeped out. Then when you finally realize that the corpse of a man (Was it her father?) was in there, it's ten times more creepy.

And yeah, can someone answer the question above?
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."