6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 107

Lance White
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Lance White »

I thought the two shows combined were pretty good. All of the acting was really good, but the story didn't impress me that much. The bearded guy throws me off too, is that her Dr? Tom seemed to be in top shape for this, maybe he worked out a little more in prep for the shower scene. Speaking of, did anybody else notice the reflection of the camera guy when Sharon opens the door? It might not be the camera, but somebody is definatley just standing there.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

maggiepoole wrote:Thomas pulls a bowl of fig newtons out of the fridge to have with his milk. Isn't that kind of an odd place to keep your fig newtons? Just in a cereal bowl, not even a container! Wouldn't they get stale?! :roll: Cracks me up the empty paper towel roll too.
I know. I keep mine in a Tuperware container. I think maybe Carmen had mentioned he dips his Fig Newtons in milk so they probably get soggy anyway.

Carmen
MPI

#23 Post by Carmen »

Yep, that was me. BTW,IKWYT, wanna buy some Tupperware?? :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#24 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I usually save the nice little packages Glad packs their lunchmeat in. If you are having a Tupperware party I'm all for it. I would feel like I was seven again and at my parents house! :D

Carmen
MPI

#25 Post by Carmen »

:lol:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#26 Post by Operation Chessboard »

[quote="maggiepoole"]Thomas pulls a bowl of fig newtons out of the fridge to have with his milk. Isn't that kind of an odd place to keep your fig newtons? Just in a cereal bowl, not even a container! Wouldn't they get stale?! :roll: Cracks me up the empty paper towel roll too.[/quote]

I watched this two part episode a few nights ago on my season one dvd set. I hadn't seen it in years and it's definitely not as good as I remembered. One thing I really enjoyed though were the scenes between Magnum and Higgins. I also noticed the Fig Newtons and the empty paper towel roll. That's a typical bachelor pad right there and it was a nice touch by the set decorator. The first time I saw these episodes was back in 1990, a few years before Sharon Stone became widely famous. But, one thing I noticed in watching this episode again is Tom Selleck's hair. It's probably the longest he ever wears it in the series. Also, it seemed to me that he probably had another case of the flu when this episode was filmed, particularly during the scenes when he awoke on the beach in the beginning. He just looks very pale in certain scenes. The scene with the Fig Newtons and milk must have made an impression on me, though, for the next day I went to the supermarket and purchased both items. I forgot how good those things are.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#27 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

It is hard to beat a Fig Newton. Yet one more thing TM had right.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#28 Post by N1095A »

This candid may be from around the time of that episode. Not sure, but I noticed the hair length too.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that's from "Echoes of the Mind" when they filmed at the Kahala Hilton. You can't see her face, but that's Sharon Stone standing next to Selleck. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#30 Post by N1095A »

I thought so, but now I'm not sure if it's a candid. I thought it was because everyone's looking at TS. I figured if they were shooting, the people on the beach wouldn't be looking at him like that.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#31 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Gee, this episode doesn't seem to be enjoyed by some Magnum fans. I thought it was interesting but Magnum going crazy in the beginning of "Mac's Back" was quite unnecessary. And I am new to this forum, so hi.

AJL
Commander

#32 Post by AJL »

This is my favourite MPI episode (both of them, though I still haven't watched season 8, because I didn't like the more serious approach the series took in season 6 & 7. I know I seem to be the only one of that opinion on these boards :D , but I will come around to watch it eventually, when I get tired of rewatching season 1-5 ). Anyway, so much greatness in these episodes, I don't even now where to begin. Just the side plot alone with Higgins getting married is better than the main plot in most of the other episodes! Better than the main plot in most other tv series! Sharon Stone is smoking hot, so many genuinly funny moments and yet the ending is still powerfull, and I could go on and on. Yes it has its share of illogical and silly moments (the "she's in danger" scene especially comes to mind), but honestly, which MPI episode doesn't?? Its a part of the 80's charm of the show, when standards in tv series wasn't what they have become since with series like the Sopranos etc.
I just love this one

@James, I have been wondering this for a while; is there any reason why the 2 part episodes have two different threads? I just think it would be much more convenient with just one, but maybe thats just me :D
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#33 Post by Agatha »

I HATE this episode...these episodes! My Season 1 DVDs have Echoes of the Mind as Bonus episodes. I watched them ONCE and swore that I'd NEVER watch them again!

It isn't that they're not well written. The plot is strong and Sharon Stone is great and the Higgins sub-plot is wonderful and the interactions between Thomas and Higgins are grand. But I didn't watch them again until I got my Season 5 DVDs. Even then, I wasn't going to watch them until I remembered that I was missing out on one of the best and warmest interactions between Higgins and Agatha. So I've sorted through my head to figure out why I don't like them and now I feel that I can watch them periodically...not as often as other episodes but every once in a while.

Because...I don't like the Blade Runner music at the beginning. It feels ominous to me. The dual personality thing creeps me out. I HATE it when specific breeds of dogs are portrayed as vicious...especially Rottweilers. (One of my dog's best friends is a sweet, sweet Rottweiler.) I don't like it that Thomas seems to always fall for "unattainable" women.

What is it that they say about actors that we hate? They have to be very good to evoke an intense emotion like hate? Well, if that's true of episodes, then this one (these two) must be very good!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#34 Post by Agatha »

OK...so I watched it (them) again today.

There's a place where Higgins is trying to explain to Agatha that he didn't actually ask her to marry him. He, of course, falls back on a story...about Lt. Smythe. But when he asks Agatha if he's told her about him, she thinks he's talking about a man who was eaten by a tiger.

No, Higgins says...that was Lt Freebairn-Smith. Isn't that the name of the composer of the original Magnum theme?

Interesting little tidbit, if it is....

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#35 Post by Doc Ibold »

Agatha wrote:OK...so I watched it (them) again today.

There's a place where Higgins is trying to explain to Agatha that he didn't actually ask her to marry him. He, of course, falls back on a story...about Lt. Smythe. But when he asks Agatha if he's told her about him, she thinks he's talking about a man who was eaten by a tiger.

No, Higgins says...that was Lt Freebairn-Smith. Isn't that the name of the composer of the original Magnum theme?

Interesting little tidbit, if it is....

See Agatha, you ARE starting to pick up on little nuances