5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 107

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Echoes of the Mind (1) (5.1)

#76 Post by marlboro »

Good point Kalai-pahoa.

I was thinking about this episode today. I wish the story had played out a bit differently. Instead of wrapping things up in a two parter, I would like to have seen Diane introduced in the season opener and have her and Tom's relationship grow throughout the season. Don't make the story front and center but kind of keep it on the back burner throughout the season. Introduce her "twin" at the half way point or so and start sprinkling clues into the scripts that there is more going on that meets the eye. And have the story climax in the season finale much like it did in the second part of Echoes of the Mind part 2.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by charybdis1966 »

I've finally moved onto season 5, as has ITV4 in the UK, and saw this last week.

I have to admit to feeling that 1980'sTV didn't quite have the technology to show a single person(apparently) playing a double role so well so from the beginning scene the cut aways to each of the Dupre sisters were quite predictable.

The tone of this season was set by the sombre theme running through this and even the light hearted Higgins/Agatha sub plot didn't really impair the downbeat leitmotif running through the episode.

Sharon Stone was showing her star quailty despite the plot holes already pointed out earlier in this thread through both parts of this story except for when she was playing Diane she had to wear some rather matronly outfits, just to make sure the contrasty with her more glamourous dressing sister Deirda was emphasised. One particular pinafore style dress was uber-frumpy.

A solid star to season 5 with suggestions that the characters are all growing up.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#78 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that this one was very good. Part one was done in such a way where it was not completely obvious that Diane had a split personality. They used a lot of Magnum having flashes of instinct in different episodes so this tied in with that pretty well. As for the man that was shot, I presumed that it was Ted and the reason Magnum didn't "sense" any danger was because there was none. He wasn't out to harm her, but was there to convince her to return to the hospital. Magnum not reading the diary nor taking Diane's case too seriously was kind of a weak point, but I chalked it up to Magnum wanting to prolong being around Diane thus not wanting to solve it too quickly. The one thing that REALLY bugged me about this one was that Higgins said it was 1 am when he prepared to leave the house. The he drove to Agatha's. Doesn't it seem odd that he'd just pop over there at that hour? She, clearly, had been asleep and he's asking for tea like it's the middle of the day and was there for their weekly bridge game or something.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#79 Post by Italian Ice »

Did anybody notice in the first 2 seconds right before the music plays in the beginning, you can notice a guy running across the road.
Crew members perhaps? Did I find my 2nd flub?? haha

Or will J.J. just say its a pedestrian :P

Add it to the Flublist :)

By the way, I haven't been on here in a LONG time.
Last edited by Italian Ice on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#80 Post by Doc Ibold »

Italian Ice wrote:Did anybody notice in the first 2 seconds right before the music plays in the beginning, you can notice a guy running across the road.
Crew members perhaps? Did I find my 2nd flub?? haha

Or will J.J. just say its a pedestrian :P

Add it to the Flubilicious list :)

By the way, I haven't been on here in a LONG time.
That's just Higgins, still on the hunt for the kudu buck

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#81 Post by Italian Ice »

Doh, nevermind, somebody already noticed it.... :roll:
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

EZiller
Captain

#82 Post by EZiller »

9.5, thought it was a great 2-parter although they could have easily done 2 separate stories, the Diane/Deidre story and Higgins/Lady Ashley/Agatha triangle.

As for the main story, Sharon Stone is incredible in this dual role. While I think anyone who took a basic Psych 101 Class can figure out pretty quickly that she's the same person with a split personality [except TM, obviously] it's done well and the ending, with the disturbed Diane blowing her brains out is shocking. BTW, Deidre was my preference,much sexier.

As for the Higgins story, I think he made a great point when he mentioned that he was in love with the girl of 40 years ago and realized that the woman who is now Lady Ashley is a much different person. It can be a shock when you find that someone whom you were incredibly infatuated with when you were young has changed, not only with their physical appearance but in their personality and what they want out of life.

As for Agatha, her and Higgy have an interesting relationship. I've always wondered, is sex involved? No doubt they are great friends. have much in common and have deep mutual respect. But I think this episode also shows that the two of them also have a different perception of where the relationship should go. Agatha obviously wants romance and while Higgins enjoys Agatha's company- there is no sexual chemistry for him.

Also like the scenes between TM and Higgins in Part 1. It's clear that their relationship has evolved, from being antagonistic to being friends. Higgins will never be a bud to TM like Rick and TC are but neither of that want that in their friendship.

Oh yeah, also loved Father Paddy returning. Great touch.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#83 Post by Milton Collins »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I saw this episode again the other night. I commented to my wife that TM would've been smart enough to check up on the sister as soon as she was mentioned and everything would've unfolded at that point. Sharon Stone looks really nice in this episode.

I agree completely on both accounts! I love this episode and rate it a 9.5 and in my top ten, but I do see the flaw that TM as a top rate private investigator would have definitely checked out the details of the kidnapping and the other sister right away. But oh well, as with other episodes I can deal with some small holes because they make the stories happen! I just think this two-parter is outstanding. An extremely young Sharon Stone appearance was great, and she looked great wow! I always find one of the more intriguing parts of Magnum's character is his rather tragic track record where women are concerned. And this ranks right up there, a beautiful woman with big $$$ who's crazy about Magnum but is also crazy herself! I just thought it was a really good story with excellent twists and turns. And a fantastic secondary story with Higgins and the lady Ashley. I saw another post that mentioned this could have been it's own episode and I agree. I loved the way Higgins realized he was being had/used by the lady Ashley and that despicable chump she had helping her. The part where Higgins plans to show up dressed as Father Patty only to find the real version of his half brother there and already having driven Ashley away was priceless! I have to also mention that the home they used for the Dupree estate was incredible, what a beautiful place!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by K Hale »

EZiller wrote:As for the Higgins story, I think he made a great point when he mentioned that he was in love with the girl of 40 years ago and realized that the woman who is now Lady Ashley is a much different person. It can be a shock when you find that someone whom you were incredibly infatuated with when you were young has changed, not only with their physical appearance but in their personality and what they want out of life.
What kills me is that I could not understand what they were talking about doing with Higgins' title. I thought everyone was saying the plan was to "deep hole" his title. Which made sense but didn't sound like something any of those people would say. Then I finally turned on the subtitles on Starz and found out the term is "deed poll." I looked this up on Wiki and still don't really get it but w/e, at least I know what they're saying now! :lol:
As for Agatha, her and Higgy have an interesting relationship. I've always wondered, is sex involved? No doubt they are great friends. have much in common and have deep mutual respect. But I think this episode also shows that the two of them also have a different perception of where the relationship should go. Agatha obviously wants romance and while Higgins enjoys Agatha's company- there is no sexual chemistry for him.
No way are they Friends With Benefits. Hahahaha! Oh my God. They probably would be if Aggie had her way. Higgins is obviously clueless about her feelings for him, it just goes right over his head. Recall when Higgins says he's getting married, TC immediately thinks he must be talking about Agatha. Agatha also assumes he's talking about her, of course. And when he tells of his dilemma to Magnum, TM is dismayed on Agatha's behalf even before Higgins tells him she assumed she was to be the bride. Everyone but Higgy Baby knows Agatha has a thing for him, but for him it's just polo matches and butterfly expeditions. Also that story he told about the young woman who found out her beloved was marrying someone else sounded totally made up, but was a lovely way to gently break the news to Agatha. And she's awesome. A lesser woman would have blamed him for the misunderstanding. I just hope she hadn't already told "mother and the girls."
Oh yeah, also loved Father Paddy returning. Great touch.
Father Paddy is the only brother to make two appearances and well deserving!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by ENSHealy »

5.1 ECHOES OF THE MIND (1)
Famous guest stars: 1 Sharon Stone
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum: 2
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 2
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 10
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/400646567
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Morganwerk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#86 Post by Morganwerk »

I watched this on the Hallmark Mystery channel. The shower scene was cut! Too racy for the 21st century?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by ENSHealy »

Morganwerk wrote:I watched this on the Hallmark Mystery channel. The shower scene was cut! Too racy for the 21st century?
On the Hallmark Channel, yes.....
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Morganwerk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#88 Post by Morganwerk »

The dog attack was edited too. Basically once Diane gets through the door, the scene cuts to Magnum and Dr Ibold at hospital.