1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 86

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Echoes of the Mind (2) (5.2)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Echoes of the Mind (2) (5.2). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/4/1984
It's double trouble for Magnum when he finds himself falling for sexy Diane Dupres, only to discover that her seductive twin sister, Deidre, claims that Diane is a paranoid hysteric with a history of attempted murder. Unsure of who to trust, Magnum must find out which of the sisters is telling the truth as he encounters one bizarre twist after another about Diane and Diedre's true identities.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I think this ending is even more shocking than the Ivan scene in "Did You See the Sunrise?", and it packs a bigger emotional punch. Gutsy stuff for 1984! I tell ya, you can really see the talent and future star quality of Sharon Stone in this episode. Watching her in the original broadcast, you just knew she was going to be a big time name in showbiz.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, I remember watching this one when it originally aired. Sharon Stone was not only beautiful, she was a very convincing actress. She has to be one of the best guest stars of the series.

Its funny to me that even though I remember much about this episode from watching it in 1984, I totally forgot about Higgins and Father Paddy. It was watching the DVD that reminded me about that fabulous story line.

John hillerman was a terrific actor. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#4 Post by rubber chicken »

Well I finally found Agatha Chumley's home! It's right here (center most house), in the Nuuanu Valley, same as the Queen Emma Summer Palace from Forever in Time (8.5), the second location of the KKC, and the Jennifer Chapman & Brice Harcourt house from Tropical Madness (2.7).

The first screenshot is from Mad Dogs and Englishmen (6.14), the only other episode where her home is seen.
Image Image

I'd be embarrassed to guess how much time I spent searching for the house. I stopped looking months ago, and then just a few days ago I had a hunch it was in this valley and within five minutes I had found it. :roll: And I had looked here before. I think the thing that threw me off was the mountains fading away in the background of the second picture above. That made me think the view was looking southwest, but it's actually north east (so I concentrated on the wrong side of the street), where the mountains drop away to the Nuʻuanu Pali lookout. Anyway, since I finally found her home, I'm glad I won't have to think of Agatha as "the Chuminator" any longer, bless her heart. :wink:

By the by (as Higgins would say), I believe this concludes the location search for the homes of the main cast and recurring characters. (Those characters whose homes we're shown.) Correct me if I'm wrong, and we've seen the home of another recurring character not listed here. The list is pretty short, Magnum & Higgins is obvious, then in addition to Agatha in the Nuuanu Valley, there is...

Rick in Kuli'ou'ou (just north west of Hawaii Kai)

TC on the North Shore

Carol in Kahala

Icepick in Kahala - location one and two
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Rubber chicken, I am amazed you can find this stuff! I think you are the one true private investigator on board. Maybe Magnum could use to do some of his dirty work like he does with TC and Rick!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

hehe, thanks IKnowWhatYoureThinking!

Well, I know I could at least "run down" an address like Rick runs down a license plate. But then again, if it were the 1980s, I wouldn't have the internet and I'd loose all of the tools of my trade, so to speak. :wink:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow! rubber chicken! You sure have a talent there. I can barely find dwellings I've lived in and places where I actually know the neighborhoods on Google Earth!! How you do it just from a screen capture or two is amazing to me!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, great job rubber chicken! This calls for a chicken dance!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Lily »

Awesome work Rubber Chicken! Thanks so much!

Ice_Pick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Ice_Pick »

John Hillerman is AMAZING in these episodes.

"Higgy Baby" is such a gentleman!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#11 Post by Agatha »

LOVE your chicken dance, James!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Ski
Ensign

#12 Post by Ski »

Another possible flub: when Magnum finally reads the diary, it looks like one of the entries says "This morning I hired Thomas..." That's all I had time to read before the camera cut away. But it makes no sense that she would have written that prior to meeting with Magnum the first time, as she had not actually hired him yet. And after that, Magnum had the diary the whole time. Furthermore, it did not appear that that particular entry was the last in the diary, either.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

Nice spot, Ski!

I said this earlier but John Hillerman did an excellent job in this episode. When he played JQH playing Father Patty it was huge. I read somewhere where an actor said that the hardest thing to do in acting is to play someone who is playing someone else and do so convincingly. I think John did it! Notice how JQH plays Father Patty. It is very rough as you would expect for someone like JQH. If it had come off an an expert portrayal, it would have lacked believability. Hat's off to John Hillerman.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Zudobug »

Hillerman's portrayal of Higgins Irish half-brother is probably one of the best roles he has played in Magnum other than his main role as Higgins. The character may be a stereo-typical Irishman but it is the best of his 'other' roles in the series.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GTS »

I've gotta say that this two parter is a real turkey. I've tried and tried to find something that might redeem it but I just can't.

Firstly, why on earth would Magnum fall in love with a total psycho like Diane/Deidre when he knew for some time that they were one and the same. As much as I like Sharon Stone, she's a superb actress but in this she's just lame, sorry but I just cannot see why anyone would like this episode.

From the lame rip-off of Blade Runner's theme to the totally non-descript script, pardon the pun, and add to that TM's mullet hairdo it's just crap. There's essentially no story in this episode, just a loony chick running around claiming to be stalked and taunted by a make believe sister.

Even good old Higgie can't resurrect this one for me. The lady Ashley story is also weak. Just terrible and I remember being very dissapointed when it was first shown on TV way back in 1985. Easily at the bottom end of the list for me. Sorry guys, I know a lot of people like this one, for the life of me I don't know why.

If I could vote on this, I'd take 3 points off, thus sending it into a minus rating.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"