6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 117

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:Anybody recognize the guy on the right?

Al Leong, martial arts actor/stuntman extraordinaire! Big Trouble in Little China, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, and others. The guy is bad ass! I'd pick him in a fight over Jackie Chan and Jet Li (but not Bruce Lee). ;)
I just watched this a few days ago and noticed him. Never knew his name, but I definitely know him as one of the henchmen in the original Die Hard movie - one of my favourites! With the wispy Asian goatee and long hair, Leong has an almost cartoon-like persona.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#32 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks for pointing that out James. Another role he played was Genghis Khan in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. :)

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MACattack »

Doc Ibold rocks!!!! 8)
I just don't give a damn!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thanks????

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MACattack »

I had a dream last week that is parallel to this episode.

In my dream, I was walking down the street and ran into a friend who had in the real world had died in a fire 6 years ago. In my subconscious, he was living in an alternate reality where he still lived. It was bizarre to sit down and have a conversation with him.

At least it was only an illusion, and nobody thinks I'm crazy!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MACattack »

my friend's name was Rob Buchanan, and he was a veteran of the current conflict in Iraq.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Coops »

The final scene on the beach at the tidal pool is a small yet very large reason why I love this series so much. Between this and Echoes Of The Mind, what a way to start a season!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#38 Post by robspace54 »

This show continued to plumb new depths of the characters and they became real people - not supermen. Bullets did not bounce off.

Hasn't everyone seeen someone who seems to be a double? I know I have - so much so that you think they MUST be that person? Jim Bonnick has be one of the classic return-from-the-dead TV characters.

Magnum's crash and burn at the beginning was realistic and the talk by Higgins shows the freindship between the two (and the view across the aqua colored water is gorgeous).

Solving the mystery let Magnum recover from Diane's death, and the others, at least for the short term (those scars run deep).

This episode could have been named "Echoes of the Mind - Part III" but giving it its own title let's it stand separate - yet linked.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by robspace54 »

Ah... one more thought. The morning after Doc Ibold sends TM to sleepy-land Thomas claims he is alright.

Then he drives the Ferrari through the gate, drops the hammer, and for a glorious 5 or 6 seconds the car rips in a straight shot away from the camera - while TS intones "I was off to find Mac."

That shot establishes that Magnum will not be denied!!! :-) Sweet.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by AmandaByNight »

Love, love, love this episode. It's full of so much human emotion, and Selleck is wonderful!

burny
Commander

#41 Post by burny »

great ep! it is one of the eps that i watch over and over - it has the perfect
balance of everything.

a little flub - the second to last scene where the mag finally brings 'mac' back
to prove he isn't hallucinating to the gang. tm takes a cigar out of the hig's
desk humidor and walks back to the open study door. as he walks back to the
door, at the top of the shot you can see the blue sky outdoors is a piece of
painted scenery hanging from a metal pipe.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

First we're treated to a superb, 2-part, psychological thriller of a season premiere ("Echoes of the Mind")...then we're thrown this crap! :x

I never liked the fake Mac, and this was the introduction of him. :? Even though it's played by the same guy, I hated the difference in the characters. I never liked this "Mac Bonnick"--he was annoying, stupid, and nothing but trouble! :roll:

Fake Mac and Luther Gillis are probably the two recurring characters I dislike the most. :x I rated this episode "Not So Good"...because it wasn't. :? My opinion, of course. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

JT
Captain

#43 Post by JT »

Your absolutly right MaiTaiMan, I also did not like this episode and I think the fake Mac is the worst character in Magnum p.i..
I'm suprised so many people seem to like this episode so much.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

JT wrote:Your absolutly right MaiTaiMan, I also did not like this episode and I think the fake Mac is the worst character in Magnum p.i..
I'm suprised so many people seem to like this episode so much.
I know...I've never been able to figure out why some love this episode! :shock: The beginning is interesting enough...where Magnum has delved down into this deep depressive state after witnessing Diane Dupre's suicide from "Echoes of the Mind".

Then supposedly seeing this "moronic" Mac is supposedly what brings him out of it?? :o Whatever!! :roll: The rest of the episode is annoying and pathetic. :x I agree, that the fake Mac is definitely one of the worst and most annoying characters in "Magnum, p.i."!

Several disagree with me on this as well...but I also can't stand Luther Gillis, and both he and fake Mac are my two least favorite recurring characters :roll: Probably my two favorite recurring characters are Agatha Chumley and Lt. Yoshi Tanaka.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum: It's not just Diane! It's Michelle and Mac, Rick's little sister, Dan Cook, the little Vietnamese kid whose name I can't remember....My Dad. All people I loved, or who counted on me, and they're gone.
Higgins: Death is part of life. I know that sounds trite, but the very nature of life means that the older we get, the more loses we can expect. And, if we go to war, or choose a profession such as yours, those loses are going to be higher.
Magnum: Look, Higgins. I know you are trying to help and I appreciate it, I really do. I know this isn't going to solve anything, I know I'm being morose, and stupid, but I just don't give a damn.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!