6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Phil Hartman (uncredited) does the news reader voiceover in the opening scene. This was way before he became famous. It even pre-dates the early work he did on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Pretty cool.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Absolutely love the opening scene of this episode. It has a little bit of everything that makes Magnum P.I. so great - a flashback sequence (newsreel-style, 1940s), Magnum/Higgins banter, faux newscaster narrative on a television set, a great guest star (Pat Hingle), a Higgins war story (staged Mexico City bank robbery to steal Third Reich documents), and some stimulating Magnum narration. All within the first five minutes. :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Phil Hartman (uncredited) does the news reader voiceover in the opening scene. This was way before he became famous. It even pre-dates the early work he did on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Pretty cool.
IIRC Hartman had already appeared as Captain Carl in the 1981 HBO Pee-Wee Herman special, which is how many of us were introduced to Pee-Wee to begin with.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Carmen
MPI

#19 Post by Carmen »

I didn't see a thread for new members, so consider this my "Hello!"
Hi and welcome TPL, at 'Magnum Mania Talk' is a "The Welcome Wagon" thread. Is this what you were searching for? :)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Phil Hartman (uncredited) does the news reader voiceover in the opening scene. This was way before he became famous. It even pre-dates the early work he did on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Pretty cool.
IIRC Hartman had already appeared as Captain Carl in the 1981 HBO Pee-Wee Herman special, which is how many of us were introduced to Pee-Wee to begin with.
That's true LG, but it's still an "early-career" appearance for Hartman. And I did say Pee-Wee's Playhouse, which started in '86, after this episode. ;)

Interesting, I had no idea S. Epatha Merkerson was on PWP! :shock:

Tidal Pool Lifeguard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Tidal Pool Lifeguard »

Carmen wrote:
I didn't see a thread for new members, so consider this my "Hello!"
Hi and welcome TPL, at 'Magnum Mania Talk' is a "The Welcome Wagon" thread. Is this what you were searching for? :)

Well, I did come to this thread to talk about this particular episode, but I did miss the Welcome Wagon thread, so I'll head on over there now. Thanks.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Danno »

Ah. So this is what Commissioner Gordon looked like before Tim Burton's Batman...

El Higgo? Heh!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

I love the global community of MPI: Higgins, a British MI6 agent, hires Garwood Huddle, an American bank robber, to rob a Mexican bank to steal German Nazi documents... MPI was ahead of its time.

I know we must suspend disbelief in order to enjoy TV but give me a break. They forceably restrain a 'masseuse' and hold her captive while they break through the floor and dig under the building... all while Huddle is on the lamb being aided by Magnum...... let me count the felonies...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Little Garwood »

lutherhgillis wrote:I just noticed that Pat Hingle aka Garwood Huddle died recently at the age of 84. CNN's obituary includes "Hingle's other TV series included "Hawaii Five-O," "The Streets of San Francisco," "Hart to Hart," "St. Elsewhere," "Magnum, P.I." and "Cheers.""
In observing Hingle's mannerisms and speech style, it's obvious that Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte! Proof once again that yesterday's character actors are infinitely superior to today's leading stars...

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

Little Garwood wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:I just noticed that Pat Hingle aka Garwood Huddle died recently at the age of 84. CNN's obituary includes "Hingle's other TV series included "Hawaii Five-O," "The Streets of San Francisco," "Hart to Hart," "St. Elsewhere," "Magnum, P.I." and "Cheers.""
In observing Hingle's mannerisms and speech style, it's obvious that Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte! Proof once again that yesterday's character actors are infinitely superior to today's leading stars...
That may be so, but I'm sure hingle doesn't have a mug shot quite as awesome as Nolte's!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:
That may be so, but I'm sure hingle doesn't have a mug shot quite as awesome as Nolte's!
No, but at least Nolte has all of his fingers (if not his marbles)! :lol:

~Tom Selleck

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#27 Post by Olivier »

At the end of this episode we can see the stuntman very well :

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by robspace54 »

Definitely not the greatest Mpi episode, but fun to see one of the older stars (Pat Hingle) in this one.

I'll bet the Norm comment was there to honor Cheers, though.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by zebra3 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Oh, so sorry to hear that. RIP Pat.

He had a long, established career. His most memorable role for me (in addition to Garwood) will always be Judge Fenton from Hang 'Em High.

Wow
I love Eastwood westerns, now I have to go see hang em high again. I thought Huddle was less annoying than Luther Gillis by far. And why did they need a stuntman to tackle a guy? I'm not exactly in shape but I could do it, and Selleck wasn't exactly fragile in the 80's.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:And why did they need a stuntman to tackle a guy? I'm not exactly in shape but I could do it, and Selleck wasn't exactly fragile in the 80's.
One word: lawyers.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.