5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

Tidal Pool Lifeguard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Tidal Pool Lifeguard »

Carmen wrote:
I didn't see a thread for new members, so consider this my "Hello!"
Hi and welcome TPL, at 'Magnum Mania Talk' is a "The Welcome Wagon" thread. Is this what you were searching for? :)

Well, I did come to this thread to talk about this particular episode, but I did miss the Welcome Wagon thread, so I'll head on over there now. Thanks.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Danno »

Ah. So this is what Commissioner Gordon looked like before Tim Burton's Batman...

El Higgo? Heh!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

I love the global community of MPI: Higgins, a British MI6 agent, hires Garwood Huddle, an American bank robber, to rob a Mexican bank to steal German Nazi documents... MPI was ahead of its time.

I know we must suspend disbelief in order to enjoy TV but give me a break. They forceably restrain a 'masseuse' and hold her captive while they break through the floor and dig under the building... all while Huddle is on the lamb being aided by Magnum...... let me count the felonies...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Little Garwood »

lutherhgillis wrote:I just noticed that Pat Hingle aka Garwood Huddle died recently at the age of 84. CNN's obituary includes "Hingle's other TV series included "Hawaii Five-O," "The Streets of San Francisco," "Hart to Hart," "St. Elsewhere," "Magnum, P.I." and "Cheers.""
In observing Hingle's mannerisms and speech style, it's obvious that Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte! Proof once again that yesterday's character actors are infinitely superior to today's leading stars...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

Little Garwood wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:I just noticed that Pat Hingle aka Garwood Huddle died recently at the age of 84. CNN's obituary includes "Hingle's other TV series included "Hawaii Five-O," "The Streets of San Francisco," "Hart to Hart," "St. Elsewhere," "Magnum, P.I." and "Cheers.""
In observing Hingle's mannerisms and speech style, it's obvious that Pat Hingle was Nick Nolte before Nick Nolte! Proof once again that yesterday's character actors are infinitely superior to today's leading stars...
That may be so, but I'm sure hingle doesn't have a mug shot quite as awesome as Nolte's!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:
That may be so, but I'm sure hingle doesn't have a mug shot quite as awesome as Nolte's!
No, but at least Nolte has all of his fingers (if not his marbles)! :lol:

~Tom Selleck

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#27 Post by Olivier »

At the end of this episode we can see the stuntman very well :

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by robspace54 »

Definitely not the greatest Mpi episode, but fun to see one of the older stars (Pat Hingle) in this one.

I'll bet the Norm comment was there to honor Cheers, though.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by zebra3 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Oh, so sorry to hear that. RIP Pat.

He had a long, established career. His most memorable role for me (in addition to Garwood) will always be Judge Fenton from Hang 'Em High.

Wow
I love Eastwood westerns, now I have to go see hang em high again. I thought Huddle was less annoying than Luther Gillis by far. And why did they need a stuntman to tackle a guy? I'm not exactly in shape but I could do it, and Selleck wasn't exactly fragile in the 80's.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:And why did they need a stuntman to tackle a guy? I'm not exactly in shape but I could do it, and Selleck wasn't exactly fragile in the 80's.
One word: lawyers.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
zebra3 wrote:And why did they need a stuntman to tackle a guy? I'm not exactly in shape but I could do it, and Selleck wasn't exactly fragile in the 80's.
One word: lawyers.
I'd add another: insurance.

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This one wasn't great...but it was decent. The whole Potchismo Cologne thing was hilarious---and the banter between Magnum, T.C., and Higgins about the horrible smell always has me rolling! :lol: Little Garwood was also so cute you had to watch to see him get saved. :)

But, the rest of the episode is kind of silly and even irritating at times. Never been a huge Pat Hingle fan--most of his roles were loud-mouthed and annoying. :roll: He played another recurring loud-mouthed "jerky" professor guy in a couple seasons of the original "Hawaii Five-0".

He and Eugene Roche (Luther Gillis) both a lot of times played "blustery", loud-mouthed, annoying characters...they each reminded me of the other. :?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by miltontheripper »

I liked this episode. By no means is it one of my favorites but I thought Pat Hingle was a really good guest star and the episode had a somewhat unbelieveable yet entertaining plot. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the greatest thing for me about this show was the main characters and their interactions, not the guest stars, the plots that can sometimes be picked apart, and certainly not the flubs! I liked seeing a mystery that TM picked apart and solved, with some funny and rather obvious stunt double action at the end!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Frodoleader »

When Magnum & Higgins were watching the tv news report, did anyone else notice the tv was set to channel 3? My thought is what they were actually watching was a videotaped newscast, made for this episode obviously. If I recall correctly, didn't you have to set your channel to channel #3 to connect to your VCR?

Also, when TM was at the lawyers office and peeked thru the broken glass, he said "I'll be back!" Was this an homage to the Terminator movie?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#35 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Frodoleader wrote:Also, when TM was at the lawyers office and peeked thru the broken glass, he said "I'll be back!" Was this an homage to the Terminator movie?
I wouldn't think so as "The Terminator" wouldn't open until a month after this episode aired. Look like another case of "Magnum" being ahead of the curve. :lol: