5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 78

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#51 Post by .45caliber »

[quote="zebra3"]Three things:
1. Why did Magnum's dive vest actually say "Magnum"on it?

I'm assuming it was his diving gear from SEAL teams. I liked this episode quite a bit though it certainly has some short comings, but I love the episodes where the guys are a team and pull together for each other, its an awesome bond. One thing I found strange and how the producers over looked it, after Higgins is shot only Rick is there with him. TM never comes to see him or mentions the fact that he was nearly shot and killed, surely he would be just as concerned for one friend as the other.
As someone else mentioned, I liked hearing TM's view on prayer and God. I also thought it strange that Doc Ibold would tell Rick "decisions will have to be made", seemed very soon after accident to be saying that not to mention insensitive. I gave it 8.5 though.

classic1968
Ensign

Re: Under World (5.5)

#52 Post by classic1968 »

Hi guys,

I think there's another flub:

When the nurse is attending TC, just a few moments before Higgins arrives to start to talk to him in the wheelchair, there's an emergency (Cardiac Arrest) announced on P.A., on "room number 6", even though, the lamp flashing over the nursery station is from room number 3.

Great great great episode!!

Mahalo!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Seaver41 »

tell you what.......I do remember as kid loving the previews of an episode..........but nowadays I've been conditioned to hate them......I don't want to think too much ablut waht I saw nor do I want any spoilers..........so it makes me now fast forward past them watching Magnum episodes.

good comic relief at the end....though a bit misplaced for the tone of the episode.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Seaver41 »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
zebra3 wrote: 3. ONE FOR THE FLUB PAGE BABY!
When driving out in Maui, Higgin's Mercedes is shot. A bullet penetrated his windshield. In the second shot of the car hitting a tree, half of the windshield is gone. After hitting the tree, the second half shatters.
Good one, but Higgins is not driving a Mercedes. Could we call this a metaflub?

Since we mention Higgins, there is something strangely incongruous every time Higgins utters the words "TC" or "Ice Pick" in any episode. It's like hearing him say "That's dope, bro!" or something like that. :?

unless the mercedes is amphibious.....I can't see how Higgins would be driving anything but a rental on a different island :wink:

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#55 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I wasn't too much of a fan of this one. I think it was mainly because they didn't really explain whom was trying to get the plutonium and what the true purpose was (were they going to build a bomb, sell it to terrorists, build a bomb for terrorist, ransom it to the government, etc). I also found it strange that Higgins was shot and they didn't seem all that worried over it. The comedy at the end was great, but seemed out of place considering what had happened.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by KingKC »

I note that most people think this episode was a stinker but it did get an 8.0 so a few people liked it. I have read the synopsis/guide and all the postings and cannot remember enough about it to rate it good or bad.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by K Hale »

This seemed a little disjointed to me and could have been a bit better, but still very good. I never did get the plutonium part, but, as someone said, it didn't make that much difference, haha.

Flubs... [source: hanging out with/taking care of many hospitalized relatives]

* Higgins in the hospital. With "extensive blood loss" he should have been on an IV drip for dehydration if nothing else. There is an IV pole with a solution bag on it, and an IV port in his hand, but it's not connected.
* You can shut off the sound on those monitors. They don't have to make a noise.
* If you rip them off entirely, an alarm sounds. Ask me how I know.
* If you have an IV port in your hand and you simply peel off the tape without first pulling out the port, its needle will tear its way out through the back of your hand. Higgins would have had blood running down his fingers.

Anyway... lol. Once again Higgie Baby proves he can resurrect the dead or nearly dead just by talking to them. Mad skills.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#58 Post by J.J. Walters »

K Hale wrote:Anyway... lol. Once again Higgie Baby proves he can resurrect the dead or nearly dead just by talking to them. Mad skills.
LOL! Hilarious, man! :)

By the way, it's "Higgy Baby", not "Higgie Baby". ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#59 Post by K Hale »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:One moment I really like is Higgins rambling away on one of his old war stories, brining T.C. out of his coma.
Am I the only one who really wanted to hear how that turned out and what happened to the Bedouin lad? :|
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by KingKC »

Finally got a chance to watch a rerun of this episode and to be honest with you I thought it was pretty boring until the last few scenes. The last scenes with all the mishaps was a little corny, if not down right stupid. Rick passing out when TM was about to open the case was a little over the top for even for Rick's fragile nature. The forum gives it an 8.0 rating. I would be hard pressed to give it a 7.0. I was a little surprised by the early scene in which the supposed "bride" wished T C good luck with his business. That seemed strange to me. This was the fifth year of him having a business, not exactly a start-up, and I don't remember any previous or continuing episodes where TC's business was struggling. I did sense a little irony in that Higgins seemed to talk TC awake when Higgins and his stories could normally put you in a coma.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by ENSHealy »

5.5 UNDER WORLD
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2
Negotiations:
Body Count: 1
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/425125838

Potential magnumania usernames: Francois Fournier, Capt. Nigel Thornberry

Not a great fan of this episode, the plutonium and the out of place Stooges routine at the end take the shine off for me. Plus as others have mentioned, the hospital dialogue is stilted and dull. It always makes me laugh out loud when I hear "Gerald" say "they shot my brother down." He really should have sang that line, with a little psychedelic guitar riff behind it.

Wouldn't it be darker at 90 feet?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#62 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
Wouldn't it be darker at 90 feet?
The light level would depend totally on the conditions like water clarity and sun intensity. I can say that at that depth the colors change significantly and you see mostly blues and greens. Reds and oranges pretty much disappear.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#63 Post by nha trang »

Watched the episode again today, I still really like it! 8.5 but with a desire to be a 9 but not quite. It is a touching TC centric episode with the gang working in harmony. Regarding the plot holes, to me Magnum is art and as such doesn't always have to have internal consistency, and like with this episode, sometimes conflicts in the plot or acting that is a bit off impart an enjoyable dream like surrealism to an episode and a sense of timelessness.

And there is something special about this episode that I can't quite put my finger on at this late hour.

That reminds me of the paranormal elements in season 1 Missing in Action. Mag always had that supernatural element to it that was one of the additional elements the show brought that made it a classic to this day, compared with shows like night rider, simon & simon or airwolf...

Quite a pleasant trip down memory lane to a simpler time! Love the production quality of the underwater scenes and the underworld musical score!

Nha Trang

Victor DiGorgio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#64 Post by Victor DiGorgio »

Doc Ibold does everything! Just a couple episodes ago he was making house calls checking on Magnum's mental state. Here he is taking care of TC while he's in a coma(making it sound like he was also there in the emergency room when he was admitted). Performing the surgery to remove the bullet from Higgins and then taking care of him post surgery. And finally in charge of releasing the patients as well.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Victor DiGorgio wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 pm Doc Ibold does everything! Just a couple episodes ago he was making house calls checking on Magnum's mental state. Here he is taking care of TC while he's in a coma(making it sound like he was also there in the emergency room when he was admitted). Performing the surgery to remove the bullet from Higgins and then taking care of him post surgery. And finally in charge of releasing the patients as well.
Yes, I was always annoyed about this. Is Hawaii so short on doctors? Would somebody who works in Emergency also do house calls and enforce quarantines? I think he was in Emergency when Magnum came in at least three times. What are the odds? You'd think he was extremely busy, but no, he has time to talk meaningless nonsense about classic books in Higgins office. He also has time to go on a treasure hunt.