6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 78

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

While certainly not one of the most memorable or superb episodes of the show...I still think this one's interesting and kind of different than a lot of the rest. Good plot, good underwater action, perfect ending...I still think this one's an enjoyable one for the season! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: "...T.C. is indeed a man of exemplary character."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#43 Post by Mark R.Y. »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Mark R.Y. wrote:We MUST have an audio file of the painter's "Whoa-oh-ohhh" in the last scene. Low humor, but I laugh myself silly at it! :P
A little late, but I've finally added this to the Audio page. Absolutely hilarious! Would make for a great ringtone. :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/whoa_whoa.wav
And I'M over a year late, but I thank you. So wonderfully silly! :lol:

Btw, count me as one who likes this episode, despite its predictibility. I love the insights into the friendship of these four guys. I also like TM's view concerning prayer.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#44 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

zebra3 wrote: 3. ONE FOR THE FLUB PAGE BABY!
When driving out in Maui, Higgin's Mercedes is shot. A bullet penetrated his windshield. In the second shot of the car hitting a tree, half of the windshield is gone. After hitting the tree, the second half shatters.
Good one, but Higgins is not driving a Mercedes. Could we call this a metaflub?

Since we mention Higgins, there is something strangely incongruous every time Higgins utters the words "TC" or "Ice Pick" in any episode. It's like hearing him say "That's dope, bro!" or something like that. :?

firefly
Commander

#45 Post by firefly »

imo this was a good, not great episode. somewhere in the middle (or slightly below) of the pack.

i did very much like how higgins shows concern and caring towards tc, and how he "justified" going to the hospital by saying that he was on his way to a yacht club meeting. i also loved that it was higgins telling tc story after story that bought him out of his coma, perfectly fitting way to do it.

one thing that i found odd was doc ibold talking to rick about "decisions being made" regarding tc. it hadn't even been two days since he went into a coma, seems a little early for that, especially considering tc wasn't on life support.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by Doc Fred »

[quote="lutherhgillis"]Did anyone else notice the vertically challenged man in the hospital waiting room when the guys go for coffee? He is standing in front of the drink machine. Is this the same guy that worked with the sumo wrestler in the tropical Madness episode? They looked similar.[/quote]

What is "vertically challenged"????

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Under World (5.5)

#47 Post by Doc Fred »

I think the discussion of the chopper going down to 90 feet is creative writing. We saw the pier very close to TC when he was going down, so that means he crashed into the water in close proximity to the pier... and as someone else suggested, he could have even tried to land on the pier. Well, I went to Google Earth and zoomed in on the pier... right near Rabbit Island. The satellite picture of that area allows you to see the entire bottom of the channel from the shore to Rabbit Island, and there can't be any water there that's anywhere close to 90 feet deep.

I'm also wondering, if Magnum was correct about Gerald contacting TC's family and getting so much information from them about TC, that he didn't find out the real names of TC's brother so he wouldn't use a wrong name. Seems to me that a plan as thorough as the bad guys had would have made sure they got a brother's name correct.

If you have the DVD of the fifth season, there's a flub in one of the quickie scenes while the menu's on the screen. There's a scene where Magnum is driving down the street from left to right and he's driving the car from the right side of the car as if he was in England. Obviously a case of flipping the film over from front to back... mistake or intentional?

Agreed about so many of the mistakes, flubs, inconsistencies that were pointed out, but I still liked the episode, mainly because of the closeness of the four main characters, and their genuine concern and affection for each other. To me, the whole series is about the relationship between Magnum, Higgins, TC and Rick, and not the particular adventures they have.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#48 Post by Doc Ibold »

"Agreed about so many of the mistakes, flubs, inconsistencies that were pointed out, but I still liked the episode, mainly because of the closeness of the four main characters, and their genuine concern and affection for each other. To me, the whole series is about the relationship between Magnum, Higgins, TC and Rick, and not the particular adventures they have."

Couldn't agree more!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Stelth »

I like how the last 2 minutes of this episode turned into a 3 Stooges short. Lots of fun!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#50 Post by Sisophous »

lutherhgillis wrote:Did anyone else notice the vertically challenged man in the hospital waiting room when the guys go for coffee? He is standing in front of the drink machine. Is this the same guy that worked with the sumo wrestler in the tropical Madness episode? They looked similar.
Yes, not sure how many episodes he appears, he is credited in two episodes on the IMDB but many people seem to pop up in numerous episodes as background actors.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1914325/

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#51 Post by .45caliber »

[quote="zebra3"]Three things:
1. Why did Magnum's dive vest actually say "Magnum"on it?

I'm assuming it was his diving gear from SEAL teams. I liked this episode quite a bit though it certainly has some short comings, but I love the episodes where the guys are a team and pull together for each other, its an awesome bond. One thing I found strange and how the producers over looked it, after Higgins is shot only Rick is there with him. TM never comes to see him or mentions the fact that he was nearly shot and killed, surely he would be just as concerned for one friend as the other.
As someone else mentioned, I liked hearing TM's view on prayer and God. I also thought it strange that Doc Ibold would tell Rick "decisions will have to be made", seemed very soon after accident to be saying that not to mention insensitive. I gave it 8.5 though.

classic1968
Ensign

#52 Post by classic1968 »

Hi guys,

I think there's another flub:

When the nurse is attending TC, just a few moments before Higgins arrives to start to talk to him in the wheelchair, there's an emergency (Cardiac Arrest) announced on P.A., on "room number 6", even though, the lamp flashing over the nursery station is from room number 3.

Great great great episode!!

Mahalo!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Seaver41 »

tell you what.......I do remember as kid loving the previews of an episode..........but nowadays I've been conditioned to hate them......I don't want to think too much ablut waht I saw nor do I want any spoilers..........so it makes me now fast forward past them watching Magnum episodes.

good comic relief at the end....though a bit misplaced for the tone of the episode.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Seaver41 »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
zebra3 wrote: 3. ONE FOR THE FLUB PAGE BABY!
When driving out in Maui, Higgin's Mercedes is shot. A bullet penetrated his windshield. In the second shot of the car hitting a tree, half of the windshield is gone. After hitting the tree, the second half shatters.
Good one, but Higgins is not driving a Mercedes. Could we call this a metaflub?

Since we mention Higgins, there is something strangely incongruous every time Higgins utters the words "TC" or "Ice Pick" in any episode. It's like hearing him say "That's dope, bro!" or something like that. :?

unless the mercedes is amphibious.....I can't see how Higgins would be driving anything but a rental on a different island :wink:

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#55 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I wasn't too much of a fan of this one. I think it was mainly because they didn't really explain whom was trying to get the plutonium and what the true purpose was (were they going to build a bomb, sell it to terrorists, build a bomb for terrorist, ransom it to the government, etc). I also found it strange that Higgins was shot and they didn't seem all that worried over it. The comedy at the end was great, but seemed out of place considering what had happened.