9%
5.0 (Just Awful)
15%

Total votes: 81

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Kiss of the Sabre (5.11)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Kiss of the Sabre (5.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/13/1984
Truth is stranger than fiction when Magnum is forced to take a snoopy novelist on his insurance fraud investigation after Robin Masters promises her exclusive use of the guest house and Ferrari.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Am I one of the only people who finds any character that Cassie Yates plays in the Magnum-verse completely ANNOYING?

Kiss of the Sabre was OK, but the character she played in Photo Play drove me nuts.

James: Cassie Yates characters to me = Goldie Morris

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:Am I one of the only people who finds any character that Cassie Yates plays in the Magnum-verse completely ANNOYING?

Kiss of the Sabre was OK, but the character she played in Photo Play drove me nuts.

Doc,

I agree with you 100%.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! And that voice! Aargh, make it stop!

If Goldie Morris, Shelly Faraday and Betty Windom were ever in the same scene together, I think my head might explode! :)

"Road signs are the windows of the world. A chance for us to get closer together, globally." - Shelly Faraday

:?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

I've had MPI Season 5 since it came out and I finally made it all the way through the entire episode. I found the transitions to and from the fictional characters (i.e., Sabre, Winston, Swift, etc.) distracting, annoying and unnecessary. I tried watching the episode several times, but could not get through it. I think this may be my least favorite episode of the first six seasons (at least in the bottom 2 or 3). This would have been a pretty good episode but for the use of the fictional characters.

Rick's fictional character is named Swift. In "Double Jeopardy" (season 2), Rick wanted to read for the part of Garson Swift, a short, debonair, well dressed man in his middle thirties. Sounds like his fictional character in this episode.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by lutherhgillis »

I have to say that Cassie Yates is the worst guest actor ever on the show. I know she plays annoying characters but she does it in such an irritating way. Most of the characters make you like them eventually despite their flaws. Cassie's characters make me want to hang myself ala Scrunjo in Luther Gillis File 521.

wilko
Captain

#7 Post by wilko »

Doc Ibold wrote:Am I one of the only people who finds any character that Cassie Yates plays in the Magnum-verse completely ANNOYING?

I was of the reverse opinion but yes, she is annoying!

AJL
Commander

#8 Post by AJL »

I pretty much agrees with everybody else here, her character (her?) is just extremely annoying. I did find the fictional Sabre story somewhat funny at times, but the "real world" storline in this episode was stupid and she annoyed me very much. I voted this episode "not so good".

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by sophia »

Question.
magnummaniacs
In this episode when Rick is on the phone speaking with TM,
who is the lady standing beside him gambling?
I think this is the same lady that TC met in Moraco, Shadea was her name.
Of course that was in Deja Vue, so this would be her first appearance.
Her name is Grace Kennedy.
She is not credited in "Kiss of the Sabre" so is this the same actress?

Artie Canoe
Captain

#10 Post by Artie Canoe »

This is quite possibly my least favorite episode. I just watched it last night and Cassie Yates is almost unbearable. Also many aspects of the story are unbelievable. Such as when Magnum is getting attacked by a BACKHOE and the idiot just stands there screaming and watching. Would nobody around see or hear this thing going off on TM's car (not to mention the screams)? I just found the entire thing not very well written while the Sabre story was amusing at times. That in my opinion saved it from being a complete stinker.
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#11 Post by Italian Ice »

Just saw this one. I wonder if the "patient list" of Doctor Ling (around 34 minutes in) makes references to any old time movies, but some may have been made up...

One of the names is Rocks Ibold!

I know it's boxing day and normally I would be shopping and looking for deals, but with over 20 inches of snow.........
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I know you guys are going to pull my MAN CARD, or at the very least, put me on double secret probation, but I kinda like Cassie Yates. Now, I have been accused by friends and family many times of having my head stuck in the eighties, but gosh how I love her permed, puffy blonde hair, her boxy padded shoulders, not to mention she has great eyes. Say it with me: I want my (original) MTV, and Nina Blackwood!..damn it......LOL!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

Cassie Yates= fine, no problem.
Collette/Betty Windom= Tolerable
Shelly Faraday= Just wanna smack her.
Remember the Drew Cary show when she played the redneck neighbor?
If I remember correctly Jaime Pressly played her daughter, and the dad was played by Blake Clark (Harry of Harry's hardware store on "Home Improvement").
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:Cassie Yates= fine, no problem.
Collette/Betty Windom= Tolerable
Shelly Faraday= Just wanna smack her.
Remember the Drew Cary show when she played the redneck neighbor?
If I remember correctly Jaime Pressly played her daughter, and the dad was played by Blake Clark (Harry of Harry's hardware store on "Home Improvement").
I concur.

I have no problem with Ms. Yates personally, but her characters on MPI.

GAAAAAAH!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:Now, I have been accused by friends and family many times of having my head stuck in the eighties, but gosh how I love her permed, puffy blonde hair, her boxy padded shoulders, not to mention she has great eyes.
Hehe!

She is a fine example of "80s style", isn't she...

"Sebastian!"

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!