3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 76

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re: Murder 101 (5.8)

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

We need a WAV of Danny saying, "Like, I'm actually motivated," on the audio page. Made me laugh out loud. :lol:

I'm a big fan of this episode - one of the best of the lighthearted ones. I also like that it features Marilyn Jones, always a welcome presence for me in 1980s TV shows. She has a real sunny prettiness.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#42 Post by brianw »

Pretty funny episode. But not one of my faves. I like the bar scene, and the surfer dude also reminded me of Summer School (1987). And speaking of the Lockerbie tragedy, several of the people on that flight were from Syracuse University; I am from that area and a HUGE Cuse basketball and football fan, so I remember that very well. Sad.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

I have enjoyed many of the light-hearted episodes but this one was just a little too silly. I know TV is not reality but there were too many things that were just not right. Colleges would know how many have enrolled for every class and have a roster with names for the first class. No way Magnum would be allowed to take the students on such a field trip. It did have the obligatory dispute with Higgins and the "use" of Rick and TC (finally getting paid something!!!).

Magnum69
Ensign

#44 Post by Magnum69 »

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I love the series and often look up stuff about it online and realized Magnum Mania is the best site for obscure Magnum trivia. I wanted to contribute something which I haven't found here yet.

I'm rewatching the entire series on a really good blu-ray copy, so I've been pausing when I see obscure things.

Here's a screenshot of the cassette deck that started my quest for more info. Initially I couldn't find anywhere on the internet what type of cassette deck it was, as there are no readable brand names on it, but it intrigued me because it had far more buttons than a usual one. I had to go into 1980s cassette deck forums to find a post that referenced the best cassette decks from the era and thankfully one of the top three was the one Magnum uses... the Nakamichi dragon. Apparently it was worth $2500 in 1980s money which is somewhere around $6000 today.

Also, though there is a screenshot in the episode guide of the book Magnum was reading as he prepped for the PI course he was about to teach, the bottom is cut off and so I thought I'd add one of the entire cover: Dare to Achieve A Guidebook to Successful Motivation

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

No wonder Higgins was mad about Magnum taking it out of the room! Let alone the mozzarella droppings...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by LZeitgeist »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:
* I’m not certain about this one either, but on Magnum’s license (which reverts to stating his birthday as 5th January, which I love, as this is also my birthdate!), the photo of him to me looks like it was taken from the common early promotional shot of him kneeling down by one of the Ferrari’s wheels. I’ll have to try and find a scan of this shot and compare them.
The photo is definitely different, but in the prop department's defense, what we were shown previously was TM's Hawaii Driver's License - what we are shown in this episode is his PI License. (It is his driver's license with a white sticker over 'State of Hawaii Driver's Licence' and text on the sticker that says, 'Private Investigator'.)

I have photos to compare but no hosting space online to which I can upload them.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#47 Post by 80s Big Hair »

I never understood why Mr. Gaylord was hell-bent on cancelling the class.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by nha trang »

80s Big Hair wrote:I never understood why Mr. Gaylord was hell-bent on cancelling the class.
His wife, Mrs. Gaylord had her metaphysics class cancelled and replaced by murder 101 I believe?

Also, this episode wasnt quite as bad as I thought years ago, I think I became more forgiving over the past decade!

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by ENSHealy »

lutherhgillis wrote: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:44 pm I appreciate what SL said about Vietnam and the value of friends. That would explain a great deal and TM, TC, and Rick.

I love this campy episode. We get to laugh at Magnum's flaws. The book he wants to write gets another mention. His inability to teach a class is amusing. The sterotypical class members are hilarious.
I hate to be a quibbler (OK, I love it, but I can't admit that, can I?) but the book (How To Be A World Class Private Investigator) doesn't actually get a mention. Unless I missed it, but I searched the subtitles text too and didn't find any of the key words. It's one of the things I track for the Magnumometer, so I think my ears would have perked up, but I know I've missed things before as well.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.8 MURDER 101

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 1
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 3
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/543615087

Potential magnumania usernames: Mildred Gaylord, Dave Gibson

Entertaining enough, but as others have pointed out, pseudo-Spicoli is dreadful and the plot is a bit tangled.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by charybdis1966 »

My run through Season 5 continues and on second viewing this is a fairly goofy and enjoyable story.

Admittedly the plot isn't so great and there are no real plot twists however after the sombre tone of the previous episode (Blind Justice) this is exactly the right type of frothy story to counterbalance Blind Justice.

I don't know why but the sight of Kiana Dau posing as a hooker late on in the episode is my main memory from watching this back in the 2010's on rerun. Is she in "Hawaiian Peaches" ?

If not she should be. :wink: