6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 76

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by nha trang »

lol JJ, Tran Quoc was MUCH better than willie the basketball prodigy...

I think mainly due to TC's part in the storyline. I've been on a Magnum-viewing rampage over the long weekend...haha

I am a bit fickle in what draws me to a particular episode. Sometimes I just like the camera work, the shots of the tidal pool and rabbit island can be incredible...or I'll key in on the character development, or many other different factors, so something about the Tran Quoc episdoe worked much better for me than "basketball willie" and also waldo the CIA agent (which wasn't as bad as willie lol...

MPI is such a good series, that when the writing for an episode is REALLY bad it hurts to watch...lol

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#32 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

I think of this as a fantasy episode. I mean which one of us Magnum Maniacs wouldn't love to take a class taught by Thomas? And to end up going out on a "field trip" to solve a "real live" case?! That's a MPI fan's dream come true! I enjoy being "part of the class" every time I watch this one.
Rack em up!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode is somewhat funny, and has a few action-packed scenes...but most of it is pretty ridiculous and silly! :wink: I also find a lot of it boring too, and I find myself saying: "Okay...let's get on with it!"

I think this was just meant to be a somewhat humorous "filler" during the season.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by miltontheripper »

[quote="Tuan Vu"]I'm surprised that this episode received such low ratings. I really enjoyed it because it was really funny and lighthearted, which was a nice relief after a heavy "Blind Justice" episode.

I agree Tuan Vu. I really enjoyed this episode for its light, funny, and offbeat plot. I've always enjoyed watching this one a lot.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:At the 3:31 mark, a Boeing 747-121 commercial airliner is briefly seen leaving a gate at Honolulu International Airport. It's hard to identify, but the airliner is the Clipper Maid of the Seas (you can just barely make out the lettering on the front of the plane), which was tragically destroyed in the "Lockerbie Bombing" of Pan Am Flight 103 in southern Scotland on December 21st, 1988. :shock:

From the episode:

Non-episode picture of the plane:

Interesting and bizarre, I checked the Wikipedia writeup on the bombing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103 and see that the plane was actually given that name, not sure if all aircraft are given a unique name. It was the fifteenth 747 built and delivered in 1970.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: Murder 101 (5.8)

#36 Post by Seaver41 »

I liked this one....still holds up. You need the lighthearted diversion in a season. The Spicoli clone was a bit much though....

tom uk
Ensign

#37 Post by tom uk »

Hi,

In murder 101, near the beginning there is a shot of an aircraft at the airport. It has a blue stripe and ......... of the seas can be seen written on the side..

Ok, my question is could this be the ill fated airliner that was blown up over Lockerbie? Google Lockerbie disaster and look at the images the plane looks identical to me!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#38 Post by charybdis1966 »

Sisophous wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:At the 3:31 mark, a Boeing 747-121 commercial airliner is briefly seen leaving a gate at Honolulu International Airport. It's hard to identify, but the airliner is the Clipper Maid of the Seas (you can just barely make out the lettering on the front of the plane), which was tragically destroyed in the "Lockerbie Bombing" of Pan Am Flight 103 in southern Scotland on December 21st, 1988. :shock:

From the episode:

Non-episode picture of the plane:

Interesting and bizarre, I checked the Wikipedia writeup on the bombing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103 and see that the plane was actually given that name, not sure if all aircraft are given a unique name. It was the fifteenth 747 built and delivered in 1970.
. It was the 25th anniversary of this tragic event yesterday. There were many events to commemorate this sad event resulting from terrorism here in the UK.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#39 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't meant to be as dramatic or serious as most of the episodes and I viewed it as a purely comedy episode. There's HUGE logic gaps (Magnum risking the lives of the students by taking them on an actual case for example), but then at the end when the class is ripping apart the logic gaps it makes for a great comedic scene.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by Dave Anderson »

This was a really good episode, had a little bit of everything, humor, excitement, suspense. Loved the part where Magnum was reading through the ridiculous community college course titles. Always found many college classes to be ridiculous myself so this was pretty funny. The bar scene had the great sleezy bar vibe going on and I can totally picture someone like the fat guy downing all the beers in real life (though perhaps not downing quite that many that fast). Funny, mostly light hearted and clever episode.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

We need a WAV of Danny saying, "Like, I'm actually motivated," on the audio page. Made me laugh out loud. :lol:

I'm a big fan of this episode - one of the best of the lighthearted ones. I also like that it features Marilyn Jones, always a welcome presence for me in 1980s TV shows. She has a real sunny prettiness.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#42 Post by brianw »

Pretty funny episode. But not one of my faves. I like the bar scene, and the surfer dude also reminded me of Summer School (1987). And speaking of the Lockerbie tragedy, several of the people on that flight were from Syracuse University; I am from that area and a HUGE Cuse basketball and football fan, so I remember that very well. Sad.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

I have enjoyed many of the light-hearted episodes but this one was just a little too silly. I know TV is not reality but there were too many things that were just not right. Colleges would know how many have enrolled for every class and have a roster with names for the first class. No way Magnum would be allowed to take the students on such a field trip. It did have the obligatory dispute with Higgins and the "use" of Rick and TC (finally getting paid something!!!).

Magnum69
Ensign

#44 Post by Magnum69 »

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I love the series and often look up stuff about it online and realized Magnum Mania is the best site for obscure Magnum trivia. I wanted to contribute something which I haven't found here yet.

I'm rewatching the entire series on a really good blu-ray copy, so I've been pausing when I see obscure things.

Here's a screenshot of the cassette deck that started my quest for more info. Initially I couldn't find anywhere on the internet what type of cassette deck it was, as there are no readable brand names on it, but it intrigued me because it had far more buttons than a usual one. I had to go into 1980s cassette deck forums to find a post that referenced the best cassette decks from the era and thankfully one of the top three was the one Magnum uses... the Nakamichi dragon. Apparently it was worth $2500 in 1980s money which is somewhere around $6000 today.

Also, though there is a screenshot in the episode guide of the book Magnum was reading as he prepped for the PI course he was about to teach, the bottom is cut off and so I thought I'd add one of the entire cover: Dare to Achieve A Guidebook to Successful Motivation

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

No wonder Higgins was mad about Magnum taking it out of the room! Let alone the mozzarella droppings...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!