6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by zebra3 »

Jay firestorm, would you say the sixth season is better? I only ask because I have not seen it yet.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I almost rated this "Not So Good"...as once again it's a Luther Gillis episode. :? I can't hardly stand him or the Fake Mac.

However, I ended up rating it "Average at Best"...just because some of the scenes with Gillis and Higgins working together were somewhat hiliarious. :lol:

However, once again...it's still Luther! :roll: He still mostly annoys the crap out of me. :x Also, I wasn't real pleased with Magnum and how cavalier he treated Higgins and his case. :? I realize that he felt an obligation to Robin Masters, but...it was Higgins! Higgy Baby had never hired Magnum personally before...hello! :shock:

Out of all the Luther Gillis episodes, this is one I can somewhat stand to watch and be entertained...but it's still not really one I love watching when going through season 5.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by miltontheripper »

Even though it wasn't great, I actually more or less liked this episode. Pretty good plot and probably the best Luther episode, he and Higgins working together was pretty funny at times. I love when they go to the cowboy bar and Higgins turns into "Elmo" and hustles the guy at pool. Not much of an episode for Magnum but still entertaining. Mostly I was just glad to move on from Tran Quac Jones because that is one BAD episode!

mandolabar
Captain

#14 Post by mandolabar »

I agree with MaiTaiMan--Higgins coming to Magnum, asking for his *professional services,* and Magnum doesn't jump right on it? Higgins clearly distracted--sufficient to agree to let Gillis work it--and Magnum not immediately concerned?

The Gillis/Higgins conversation at the estate, before they head out to the boat--an understanding was reached because of Gillis' daughter, and maybe that's why they did it, it would have been a different conversation with Magnum--but still. This did not show Magnum in a good light, and I was disappointed by that.

The acting was all good, though...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#15 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

When Higgins punches David on the boat you can clearly see Hillerman's stuntman. It's hilarious because he looks like Charlie Chaplin and Hillerman's clothes look ridiculously baggy on him.

TigersFan#35
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by TigersFan#35 »

Think I'll start posting here after Watching each episode on Netflix.

Well I gave this episode an 8.5, I pretty much love episode where Higgy-baby plays a larger role and this one was awesome, it was good to see Higgins and Luther bond and Higgins cowboy act was hilarious.

*Minor Spoiler*

When Luther told the guys inside the boat that Magnum was behind them Magnums facial reaction was priceless!

Anyways just like the majority of peeps here, I didn't like ol Luther Gillis at first, but he does sorta grow on you!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MaximRecoil »

"Who cares? Why don't you go dust the fish for some prints?"

One of many lines that had me laughing out loud. Luther Gillis was a riot; he should have had his own spin-off series.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Luther Gillis: File #001 (5.10)

#18 Post by Doc Fred »

The plot of the story?.... Not too good in my view. I thought so much of it was hokey and I was uncomfortable with it. Unlike the previous Luther episodes, many of the lines seemed manufactured and totally lacking in humor.

As others have said, and I felt this way watching the show, I was very disappointed that Magnum's reaction to Higgins' problem wasn't more positive. I guess whoever wrote this episode didn't have the real feel for Magnum, who had shown great concern and empathy for Higgins' plights in the past.

With all that said, and I didn't like the story line very much, what I really liked so much was the character development of Higgins and also Luther. We saw a completely different side of Higgins, and saw the great depth to his quality as a man. I thought this was the highlight of the show, and was very moving to me. To a lesser extent, we saw into Luther, and that was good, too. Without the great character development, I'd have rated this as one of the weaker episodes in the entire series.

The show was saved by Higgins... I gave it an 8.5 score. Yes, I'm someone who very much enjoys knowing what makes up the characters, and not just the superficiality of the story line... although I truly love many of the stories. But, this series is more about the people than the "adventures" they live.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#19 Post by .45caliber »

Agree with everything Doc Fred said. Not the best Luther Gillis episode, but the guy cracks me up. Cowboy bar scene was awesome, great brawl. File#001 Luther's maiden voyage to banana land:)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#20 Post by marlboro »

Lt. Tanaka: What were you doing at the waterfront?

Higgins: It was late, and we were hungry.

Lt Tanaka: I want answers! What about Walter Brummer?

Luther: I think he was working for scale.

I firmly believe that if Bellisario had produced "Higgins & Gillis" instead of "Simon & Simon" the series would still be on the air today and have have ratings higher than the last episode of MASH, the last 3 Super Bowls and the Apollo moon landing combined.

Well, maybe not - but it was still a pretty good episode. Hillerman and Roche worked very well together.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by charybdis1966 »

I quite liked this one as, contrary to the consensus, I find Luther quite entertaining and non-annoying. His narrations are an effective counterpoint to TM's.

Funniest bit, when Luther disrupts Higgins' pool hustle he breaks from his Elmo Ziller impression to his trademark "Oh my god!"

EZiller
Captain

#22 Post by EZiller »

After lurking around the board for a couple weeks, catching this episode recently compelled me to sign up. This has about everything for a lighter MPI episode. I love Higgins, especially when he gets a bit out of sync and Luther is my favorite recurring character. Putting them together is an inspired plot idea, since they have few similarities except age and that they are rarely intimidated. What makes this so good is that after they start working together they begin a grudging admiration for each other and they realize they have more in common than they thought. Plus, we also have Mr. Welles as the voice of Robin on the answering machine (and having ROSEBUD as the password for the computer-great touch!) and Higgins doing some Elmo Ziller, plus finding out about his past romantic tyrst with the lady of nobility, possibly the future PM.

I see it was already noted in the flubs, Luther mentioned that in 1954 he was at the STL Browns spring training camp in St. Petersburg, however the Browns moved to Baltimore after the 1953 season. However St. Pete was the spring training home of the Cardinals in 1954 and till the 90's, I believe. Maybe Luther was just confused-again.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#23 Post by Milton Collins »

wilko wrote:Not sure if you'd call this a flub or anomaly.

When Higgins recounts his time in Kenya during 1954 to Luther he says that he was the youngest one in his platoon. In 1954 Higgins would have been 36, it is hard to believe that he was the youngest, especially when you consider that in 1953 he was a Sergeant-Major leading troops aged 20 or less (Episode Black on White) against the Mau Mau.

Wait a minute, if Higgins was 36 in 1954 wouldn't this have put him at around 65 in this season 5 episode which is WAY too old for John Hillerman/Higgins? Not trying to argue but just curious as to how we know Higgins was 36 in 1954 as I don't think it's possible that he could have been, something doesn't make sense?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Milton Collins »

This is a completely fun episode!!! Luther is hilarious and a great character in my book. I love the cowboy bar scene lol. Higgins going in and out of Elmo character was great:) Also cracked me up how Robin had to tell Magnum to wear a tie and polyester suit as I've always loved Magnums casual sometimes sloppy style. Just seems to fit his "boyish" character all the more. And the end fight with John Hillerman's stuntman painfully obvious in the scene was pretty funny too! I like the silly and less serious episodes for a change of pace and gave this one an 8.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#25 Post by MaximRecoil »

Milton Collins wrote:
wilko wrote:Not sure if you'd call this a flub or anomaly.

When Higgins recounts his time in Kenya during 1954 to Luther he says that he was the youngest one in his platoon. In 1954 Higgins would have been 36, it is hard to believe that he was the youngest, especially when you consider that in 1953 he was a Sergeant-Major leading troops aged 20 or less (Episode Black on White) against the Mau Mau.

Wait a minute, if Higgins was 36 in 1954 wouldn't this have put him at around 65 in this season 5 episode which is WAY too old for John Hillerman/Higgins? Not trying to argue but just curious as to how we know Higgins was 36 in 1954 as I don't think it's possible that he could have been, something doesn't make sense?
Higgins was born in 1920 according to the Higgins Timeline here on this site, though I don't know how consistent the show was about his age. That would have made him 34 in 1954. Hillerman was born in very late 1932, so he's playing someone 12-13 years older than himself. That's not as bad as Carolyn Seymour, the second actress who played Lady Ashley, who was engaged to Higgins in 1939. She was born in late 1947; making her younger than all of the regular cast members (almost 3 years younger than Selleck). She was 36 years old playing someone who should have been over 60 years old.