1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Luther Gillis: File #001 (5.10)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Luther Gillis: File #001 (5.10). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/6/1984
When Robin Masters and Higgins both ask Magnum for help in cases that could have dire repercussions for them, Magnum recruits the rather blunt St. Louis-based P.I. Luther H. Gillis to help him with some delicate matters.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

The red University of Southern California cap that Magnum wore in "Squeeze Play", 4.7, is seen hanging on his hat rack as Higgins walks past it. It is also seen on the hat rack in "Tran Quoc Jones" 5.9, but Magnum is never seen wearing it except in "Squeeze Play".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another fun Luther Gillis episode. Eugene Roche is Luther! I believe this episode also contains the longest bit of Orson Welles dialog in the series (during an answering machine message for Magnum).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

This is an excellent episode with some great scenes.

A flub occurs when we see Higgins and Luther dressed in black at the dock looking for Warren. The camera is behind a dumpster focusing on Higgins and Luther as they are walking. As they get closer the inside of the dumpster comes into view, and as Luther is singing "Anchors away my boy" you will see Warren in the left-front corner of the dumpster moving his left hand and breathing. This is a flub because Warren is supposed to be dead.

Not necessarily a flub but when we first see Luther going to his office he uses his key to unlock the door. Why was this necessary because Higgins was already inside waiting for him? How did Higgins get into the office? At the end of the episode, Magnum and Higgins had to break into the office using Magnum's credit card. :?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:you will see Warren in the left-front corner of the dumpster moving his left hand and breathing. This is a flub because Warren is supposed to be dead.
LOL! A "Shocking Flub", to say the least! :lol:

wilko
Captain

#6 Post by wilko »

Not sure if you'd call this a flub or anomaly.

When Higgins recounts his time in Kenya during 1954 to Luther he says that he was the youngest one in his platoon. In 1954 Higgins would have been 36, it is hard to believe that he was the youngest, especially when you consider that in 1953 he was a Sergeant-Major leading troops aged 20 or less (Episode Black on White) against the Mau Mau.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice catch there wilko. There is no way Higgins, as a mid-thirties RSM, would have been the youngest person in the platoon!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Although Luther episodes are generally fun, I really feel the fifth season was starting to plod along by this point.

[rating=8.5]

Robin asks Thomas to work on an embezzlement case. But when Higgins wants to hire him at the same time, he hands the case over to p.i. ‘friend’ Luther Gillis, and the pair investigates the blackmail of Higgins’ old flame. Another middling fifth season ep…

-----

When Luther Gillis first appeared, in the fourth season episode ‘Luther Gillis: File #521’, I couldn’t really decide whether I liked him or not. But by his third appearance here, Eugene Roche’s portrayal of him had softened into a well-meaning but bumbling oaf, and I started to warm to him more.

This is a ‘Magnum-lite’ episode – he takes a backseat working on an embezzlement case for Robin Masters, while Higgins and Luther take the spotlight for the bulk of the story. It is a fun pairing, and John Hillerman and Eugene Roche work well together.

Talking of Robin, this is the final time in the series that the legendary Orson Welles provides the voice for the unseen author (Robin’s voice was provided by a different actor in the sixth season’s feature-length / two-part ‘Deja Vu’).

I find the title of this episode to be a little strange – ‘File #001’ suggests that it is Luther’s first case. Maybe it is implying that it is his first case in Hawaii (where he has relocated to in this story); still, it is a little odd.

As I say above, Hillerman and Roche work well together; the highlight of the episode is probably when Higgins and Luther visit the cowboy bar for a lead, with Higgins adopting the Texan drawl of his half-brother Elmo (from the second season’s ‘The Elmo Ziller Story’). It is always amusing to see Hillerman break out of Higgins’ upper-class English accent into another voice, and it is easy to forget that Hillerman – despite the perfect English accent – is actually a Texas native himself.

The plot on the whole is reasonable, but sadly it suffers from the trend of fifth season stories which are watchable, but lack the polish of earlier episodes, and don’t have as much re-watchable value.
It is one of the marginally better episodes of the season, but as with most other episodes of the season, doesn’t really stand out from the series overall.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* I spotted something in this episode that I hadn’t seen before: on Magnum’s hat-rack by the guest house door, alongside his regular caps, he has a ‘Sherlock Holmes’ deerstalker hat!

* After the brawl outside the bar (which we never actually see), Luther’s band-air, over his left eye, changes size and angle in different scenes.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

I disliked this episode the last time I saw it but this time around I liked it it a bit better. I voted it "decent."

Seems to me that Higgins should've been more affected by the death of Warren, who may have been his son. This may come from the fact that Luther Gillis episodes are supposed to be "lighter" in tone, but we did get some bonding between Luther and "The Butler." It also would've been nice if we'd had a "young Higgins" flashback with him and his ladylove of '54. However, this being the fifth season, of course there had to be something lacking.

The scene at the bar could've been disastrous but Hillerman is great and it helps that Eugene Roche helped the scene as sometimes he's just too much to take. In my view, Luther Gillis, File #521 and The Return of Luther Gillis are the great Luther Gillis episodes; the others, not so much.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by nha trang »

Agree with the other reviews,

Luther Gillis cracks me up, at first I didn't like him.

"Shove it, scrunge-o"

I guess he grows on you, like some kind of fungus. This one, in addition to being "Magnum-lite" also seemed to me to be "Gillis-lite" and for that I was truly sorry,

Because that Gillis character cracks me up, I still laugh when I think of the scene where he sings "you only hurt the one you love" after being whacked over the head with the cast iron skillet by Artie whats-his-face Kayanu?

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by zebra3 »

Jay firestorm, would you say the sixth season is better? I only ask because I have not seen it yet.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I almost rated this "Not So Good"...as once again it's a Luther Gillis episode. :? I can't hardly stand him or the Fake Mac.

However, I ended up rating it "Average at Best"...just because some of the scenes with Gillis and Higgins working together were somewhat hiliarious. :lol:

However, once again...it's still Luther! :roll: He still mostly annoys the crap out of me. :x Also, I wasn't real pleased with Magnum and how cavalier he treated Higgins and his case. :? I realize that he felt an obligation to Robin Masters, but...it was Higgins! Higgy Baby had never hired Magnum personally before...hello! :shock:

Out of all the Luther Gillis episodes, this is one I can somewhat stand to watch and be entertained...but it's still not really one I love watching when going through season 5.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by miltontheripper »

Even though it wasn't great, I actually more or less liked this episode. Pretty good plot and probably the best Luther episode, he and Higgins working together was pretty funny at times. I love when they go to the cowboy bar and Higgins turns into "Elmo" and hustles the guy at pool. Not much of an episode for Magnum but still entertaining. Mostly I was just glad to move on from Tran Quac Jones because that is one BAD episode!

mandolabar
Captain

#14 Post by mandolabar »

I agree with MaiTaiMan--Higgins coming to Magnum, asking for his *professional services,* and Magnum doesn't jump right on it? Higgins clearly distracted--sufficient to agree to let Gillis work it--and Magnum not immediately concerned?

The Gillis/Higgins conversation at the estate, before they head out to the boat--an understanding was reached because of Gillis' daughter, and maybe that's why they did it, it would have been a different conversation with Magnum--but still. This did not show Magnum in a good light, and I was disappointed by that.

The acting was all good, though...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#15 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

When Higgins punches David on the boat you can clearly see Hillerman's stuntman. It's hilarious because he looks like Charlie Chaplin and Hillerman's clothes look ridiculously baggy on him.