9%
5.0 (Just Awful)
15%

Total votes: 81

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Kiss of the Sabre (5.11)

#31 Post by Doc Fred »

If this wasn't the worst episode in the entire series, I can't recall anything worse. I know it was supposed to be a farcial episode, but it didn't even succeed as a farce. No character development, no real plot, nothing..... Just a waste... :(
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Stelth »

I enjoyed this episode...it was a lark. As for the blonde chick...I don't find her nearly as annoying as Carol.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Fred wrote:If this wasn't the worst episode in the entire series, I can't recall anything worse. I know it was supposed to be a farcial episode, but it didn't even succeed as a farce. No character development, no real plot, nothing..... Just a waste... :(

I agree . . . I should probably try it again but this is the only episode I ever turned off.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Fred
Admiral

#34 Post by Doc Fred »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:If this wasn't the worst episode in the entire series, I can't recall anything worse. I know it was supposed to be a farcial episode, but it didn't even succeed as a farce. No character development, no real plot, nothing..... Just a waste... :(

I agree . . . I should probably try it again but this is the only episode I ever turned off.
Well, all I can say is that with all those episodes, one of them had to be the worst.... Overall, though, I think we Magnum fans were blessed to have such a great show that lasted for as many years as it did. It's my all-time favorite show... easily.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Seaver41 »

holy moly this episode SUCKED. This may be the worst episode to date in the series. It was poorly directed and not very well written.........quite the irony when it centered on a writer. Blah.

How about that back-hoe scene.........was that the Masked Marauder at the controls? Then I actually was laughing as he made his 'getaway' in it...........too funny.

I do not believe I will ever sit through the episode again.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by charybdis1966 »

I quite liked this one, it was an episode light in tone and Cassie Yates was quite pleasing to look at and vaguely interesting as a character. The switching from the actual story to Cassie's work of fiction was quite amusing and I liked that I didn't quite know where the story was going most of the time.

EZiller
Captain

#37 Post by EZiller »

Another of the rather goofy, comedic episodes that MPI occasionally turned out. It's pretty silly, but I have no complaints about them experimenting with different script ideas and having some fun with it.

Cassie Yates-one of the more bizarre MPI leading ladies. She's the type of woman I could probably find somewhat alluring given the proper time, place and combinations of liquor. Then I would want to leave the next morning and not reconnect. It's not that she's unattractive when she's pimped up, but she would seem too obsessive. Maybe it was just good acting on her part.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Stelth »

EZiller wrote:Another of the rather goofy, comedic episodes that MPI occasionally turned out. It's pretty silly, but I have no complaints about them experimenting with different script ideas and having some fun with it.

Cassie Yates-one of the more bizarre MPI leading ladies. She's the type of woman I could probably find somewhat alluring given the proper time, place and combinations of liquor. Then I would want to leave the next morning and not reconnect. It's not that she's unattractive when she's pimped up, but she would seem too obsessive. Maybe it was just good acting on her part.
I see what you are saying and up until two days ago I would have agreed with you. Then I watched her in "Photo Play" and I realized she has a Sally Struthers vibe to her which I find very unappealing.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

Stelth wrote:
EZiller wrote:I see what you are saying and up until two days ago I would have agreed with you. Then I watched her in "Photo Play" and I realized she has a Sally Struthers vibe to her which I find very unappealing.
The likability of Cassie Yates is another of my contrarian-held viewpoints in the world of Magnum. I adore her as well as her performances. As for the Sally Struthers comparisons, they do have vaguely similar-sounding voices, but Cassie never, ever descended into "Save the Children"-style histrionics in anything I ever saw her in. She also gave solid performances in episodes of Quincy, M.E. and Simon & Simon in roles different from those of her MPI roles. I also happen to think she is quite pretty.

Nope, there's nothing but love for Cassie Yates here.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

EZiller wrote:Cassie Yates-one of the more bizarre MPI leading ladies. She's the type of woman I could probably find somewhat alluring given the proper time, place and combinations of liquor. Then I would want to leave the next morning and not reconnect. It's not that she's unattractive when she's pimped up, but she would seem too obsessive. Maybe it was just good acting on her part.
LOL! :)

You might want to check out The Osterman Weekend (if you can find it). Make sure you've had a few drinks first.

By the way, welcome!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#41 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I wasn't a huge fan of this one, but I didn't outright hate it either. I generally enjoyed the comedy episodes like this one. The only real problems I had were that it was a REAL stretch that Magnum solved the real life case by having read the rough draft of the book and the backhoe scene. It didn't make a lot of sense that with the Ferrari in use that Magnum couldn't have just used one of Robin's other vehicles especially since the girl didn't plan to leave the estate anyways. I thought that the fantasy sequences were pretty well done. It was classic Magnum comedy I thought. I thought it was slightly strange that Magnum had worked with the villians for so long and never suspected a thing yet some woman with no experience in the field had it figured out in a few hours, but that was part of the farce theme I think.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Milton Collins »

I certainly have my top five but now I have to get to my worst five and this tops the list. Cassie Yates completely sucks and so does this episode!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#43 Post by marlboro »

Easily one of the series worst. Nothing worked. The acting was terrible by everyone involved - possibly intentional, but it didn't add to the comedy. The "real world" scenes were weak, but the fantasy sequences were absolutely abysmal. And as others have said, their is just something unappealing about the characters Cassie Yate's played on Magnum.

The low point for me was the backhoe scene. That masked man must have one souped up 'hoe if he can make it from a down town hospital to a "remote" section of the island without Magnum catching up to him in a Ferrari.

Why would the bad guys bring Magnum into the middle of their scheme? How was the hit and run guy's ex-wife involved in the plot? Did they steal her car?

FWIW, Yates was pretty hot when she was young:

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by Dave Anderson »

ConchRepublican wrote:

I have never made it through this whole episode either. I've tried a few times but just can't take it.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Milton Collins »

Dave Anderson wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

I have never made it through this whole episode either. I've tried a few times but just can't take it.

You are both right! I've been contemplating my top ten episodes (which is REALLY tough) for the Top Ten Episode thread and I'm also throwing in my least fav. 5 episodes for good measure and this will top the list. Absolutely the worst of the entire series, not sure what the thought process on this one was. Ok, I feel bad bashing my all time favorite show so I'll leave it at that:)