1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Little Games (5.12)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Little Games (5.12). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/3/1985
Magnum is dazzled by a stunning security expert who is watching over the estate during a priceless jewelry exhibition...until he discovers she's also the daughter of a notorious thief.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum crashes the Dracos III computer security system while trying to beat the Dungeon Master. Who knew Magnum was a "gamer"? Mac has plenty of screen time and does some computer programming. Jenny Agutter and Cesar Romero are bank heist "experts", although Cesar has a disappointingly small amount of screen time. Throw in some good scenes with "The Lads" and you've got yourself a pretty good episode.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgiebaby
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by Higgiebaby »

Yeah the first 25 minutes where pretty funny :D .

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

Another Robin masters novel is named. In a very brief view during the opening scene, the security guard is reading "Tales Of The Voyeur".

At the police station, Magnum's "VMO2 DA NANG" cap has white lettering and insignia instead of the usual yellow.

When Magnum is explaining to "Mac" that he needs him to reprogram the estate computer, the camera flashes to the reception desk where another "TS Look-alike" happens to be standing.

Higgins mentions the Kona Winds, which become the subject in season 6 with an episode of the same name.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

N1095A wrote:At the police station, Magnum's "VMO2 DA NANG" cap has white lettering and insignia instead of the usual yellow.
Wow, that's weird. The episode title for this episode is also in white letters, instead of the usual yellow! :shock:

I now shall refer to this episode as "The White Episode"! ;)

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

I noticed the white lettering in the titles too. I wonder if that was just a problem in the film? Maybe the lettering was yellow, and it just didn't come out that way.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

Do you think the white lettering has anything to do with the relationship to the use of the computer? I don't remember off hand, but did the computer monitor have white lettering? Why this would be significant enough to alter the color of the title's lettering, I don't know. Just throwing darts. Or, maybe the lettering was white to match Cesar Romero's hair? :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

AJL
Commander

#8 Post by AJL »

I thought this one was pretty bad. Basicly it was just boring, there were just no suspense, tension or excitement until the end. Only saving grace was a couple of funny moments IMO
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

I liked this episode, although not very dramatic, it was quite funny!!
Loved TC and Rick dressed up as the burgular's and Rick tearing his sweater!! Also the fake Mac wasn't as annoying as normal!
Good little twist at the end too.

Also did people actually play computer games like like!!! Makes my old Spectrum Computer look amazing!! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnums Little Voice wrote:Also did people actually play computer games like like!!! Makes my old Spectrum Computer look amazing!! :)
Not in 1984. The graphics are too advanced. They created a little mock animation sequence to make it look like a computer game, a game that no one had seen at that time.

Also, computer games from that era (or any era for that matter) didn't call out your name ("Hurry Magnum") and they didn't crash when you typed in "drop dead" (or some other combination of words).

It's still a great scene, however.

armysaber
Ensign

#11 Post by armysaber »

Hi Guys!,
This episode appealed to me because it had Jenny Agutter to begin with. It showed the human side of TSM in that he didn't get the girl.

I do find it hard to believe she lifted that jewel box and didn't notice it was light.

All in all thought I rate this episode as excellent.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by lutherhgillis »

One of you guys asked if people really played games like the one from this episode in 1984. The answer is yes and no. There were no graphics like the ones seen (as James mentioned) but I had a small computer that played games and had a game similar to the one Magnum was playing.

It was by Magnavox if I remeber correctly. You would type in commands like "move left 5 paces" and the character would move around. The point of the game was to find the sleeping vampire and kill it before it awoke and bit your neck. Stupid for our current times but quite cool for 1984.

The screen showed a blue print of the vampire's castle but did not show characters or any type of animation. It was like a souped up version of Pong...

Wow, I'm getting old :lol: :lol: :lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

I liked this episode. The 'game' was mind games played between Magnum and Ms. Villaroch. I figure Magnum suspected her all along to be potentially a jewel thief. I also figure he was hoping against hope that she was not. The 'game' was not only about the jewels but about games of the heart that Krista told Magnum she did not play. However, the heart games were being played throughout the episode.

I think this episode is cleverly written like so many others.

A P Leyland
Captain

#14 Post by A P Leyland »

Best. Episode. Ever.

Why? Two Words. Jenny. Agutter. :P

I loved Jenny Agutter as a kid. Walkabout, Railway Children, American Werewolf, Logan's Run - all fueled my prepubescent dreams. Really nice to see her (I'd forgot she'd done a Magnum episode). She was recently in Spooks and still a striking woman.

The episode was pretty good as well.

Andy

N1095A

#15 Post by N1095A »