1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Little Games (5.12)

#46 Post by BWheelz54 »

This episode is my favorite out of season 5. Even makes my top ten.

Turkey
Admiral

#47 Post by Turkey »

Great ep, I'd forgotten how much fun the final twist was.

Part of me wonders whether she'd have checked the box/case/felt the weight difference? But if she was stressed out about the job (as the episode set up earlier) then why not?

Poor Magnum, unlucky again
Make it two weeks.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Little Garwood »

Given his limited screen time, I would even "boldly" venture that Cesar Romero didn't make the trip to Hawaii for this episode. He has two scenes: the one in his and Krista's place. The second is in the dark--looking very studio-like--and surrounded by foliage as he's setting off the fireworks distraction.

I suppose that Cesar provided some "elder statesman" flair so that we at least get a look at who Krista's legendary cat burglar father is since he and his infamous reputation are mentioned a few times during the episode.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but...

There are four episodes where we see the Dracos III and each time it has a different keyboard (and never plugged in). In this episode, it is a Kaypro 10 keyboard (full computer can be seen in this episode earlier as a "security terminal"). Then it becomes a Kaypro 16 keyboard (white keys). After that, an Amiga 1000. Finally, an IBM XT.

Closeups of the screen are usually of a Commodore 64. The "system crash" is 80 column, so probably from an IBM PC.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#50 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but...

There are four episodes where we see the Dracos III and each time it has a different keyboard (and never plugged in). In this episode, it is a Kaypro 10 keyboard (full computer can be seen in this episode earlier as a "security terminal"). Then it becomes a Kaypro 16 keyboard (white keys). After that, an Amiga 1000. Finally, an IBM XT.

Closeups of the screen are usually of a Commodore 64. The "system crash" is 80 column, so probably from an IBM PC.
Great 80's computer-related info there! So hilarious that the keyboards were never plugged in!

What are your thoughts on the "Dungeon Master" computer game visuals? I came to the conclusion that they were a "mock animation sequence, complete with original artwork, audio and text made to look like a real game." I based this on the style of the game animation, the year the episode was filmed (late 1984) and the obviously overdubbed audio. In the Episode Guide, I noted that the game visuals seemed to be "inspired by the classic, landmark 3D first-person perspective games 3D Monster Maze (1981) and Dungeons of Daggorath (1982).". I've been into computer games since 1983 (and know a fair amount about computer history and games) and have worked in IT for 20+ years, but I've never been entirely sure about my assessment of the "Dungeon Master" game seen in this episode. It's always intrigued me, especially considering the 1984 time period.

"Dungeon Master" computer game

Dracos III crash!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#51 Post by marlboro »

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

Actress Jenny Agutter, 59, awarded OBE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -work.html

Anybody checked on the Crown Jewels lately?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

J.J. Walters wrote:What are your thoughts on the "Dungeon Master" computer game visuals? I came to the conclusion that they were a "mock animation sequence, complete with original artwork, audio and text made to look like a real game." I based this on the style of the game animation, the year the episode was filmed (late 1984) and the obviously overdubbed audio. In the Episode Guide, I noted that the game visuals seemed to be "inspired by the classic, landmark 3D first-person perspective games 3D Monster Maze (1981) and Dungeons of Daggorath (1982).". I've been into computer games since 1983 (and know a fair amount about computer history and games) and have worked in IT for 20+ years, but I've never been entirely sure about my assessment of the "Dungeon Master" game seen in this episode. It's always intrigued me, especially considering the 1984 time period.
I actually wrote a bunch of video games back in 1984/85 and did lots of computer graphics.

Yes, you're right. The animation sequence is definitely faked - by someone who didn't know much about computer games. The resolution is far too high (no pixels seen, no jagged lines) and although it looks like limited colours, there are actually many shades - too many for most computers back then. If the computer had the ability to do such smooth scaling (when character moves up and down the corridor) and smooth animated flip (when character turns), then it could have easily had better character animation instead of that stupid skip it does (with annoying clacking shoes sound - actually far better sound than most computers at the time).

The dungeon master screen is reasonable looking so could be real graphics (or not) but the text countdown is probably a video overlay and not part of the computer graphics. The RIP Magnum screen looks real. At least they didn't fake the sound when Magnum types on the keyboard. I have the same keyboard and that's exactly how it sounds.

The real question is: why would an expensive security computer play video games at all? Computer games had to be compiled and written specifically for different computers back then. Why would anybody be writing and selling video games that ran only on this security computer? Why would a security computer have advanced graphics? The biggest question: why the hell would a security computer cost $100,000 and why would Robin Masters pay for it?

The only thing that makes sense is that the Dracos III is the security system, not just the computer - and that the whole system costs $100,000 and Robin is only renting the expensive bits for the jewellery competition. The Dracos III system uses an IBM PC as controller, with added cards for graphics, sound, etc. and that's how you can run some games on it. As for how it uses a Kaypro keyboard that isn't plugged in, I... don't really have an explanation for that. :D

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

J.J. Walters wrote:I noted that the game visuals seemed to be "inspired by the classic, landmark 3D first-person perspective games 3D Monster Maze (1981) and Dungeons of Daggorath (1982).".
Yes, there were plenty of wire-frame maze games back then. I used to play a game called Androne:

It goes all the way back to 1973 and a game called Maze War:

The 1987 Amiga game, Dungeon Master ended up looking pretty close to the Magnum one:

...but I suppose a there are only so many ways a brick dungeon could look.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I actually wrote a bunch of video games back in 1984/85 and did lots of computer graphics.

Yes, you're right. The animation sequence is definitely faked - by someone who didn't know much about computer games. The resolution is far too high (no pixels seen, no jagged lines) and although it looks like limited colours, there are actually many shades - too many for most computers back then. If the computer had the ability to do such smooth scaling (when character moves up and down the corridor) and smooth animated flip (when character turns), then it could have easily had better character animation instead of that stupid skip it does (with annoying clacking shoes sound - actually far better sound than most computers at the time).

The dungeon master screen is reasonable looking so could be real graphics (or not) but the text countdown is probably a video overlay and not part of the computer graphics. The RIP Magnum screen looks real. At least they didn't fake the sound when Magnum types on the keyboard. I have the same keyboard and that's exactly how it sounds.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it! Good to know my conclusion was correct. 1984 was the year I got my first IBM PC. First game was The Ancient Art of War. Great game!
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:The real question is: why would an expensive security computer play video games at all? Computer games had to be compiled and written specifically for different computers back then. Why would anybody be writing and selling video games that ran only on this security computer? Why would a security computer have advanced graphics? The biggest question: why the hell would a security computer cost $100,000 and why would Robin Masters pay for it?

The only thing that makes sense is that the Dracos III is the security system, not just the computer - and that the whole system costs $100,000 and Robin is only renting the expensive bits for the jewellery competition. The Dracos III system uses an IBM PC as controller, with added cards for graphics, sound, etc. and that's how you can run some games on it. As for how it uses a Kaypro keyboard that isn't plugged in, I... don't really have an explanation for that. :D
LOL! :lol: I guess the retcon answer would be: Because Robin Masters made it so! He had the money, the means, and the connections to make it happen. He even put in R&D money to develop the worlds first wireless keyboard! Unfortunately, the prototype was destroyed by Magnum by a spilled beer. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#56 Post by ☨magnum.t »

This episode has probably my all time favorite ending, Magnum waiting on the girl who he hopes will show up and prove every bad feeling he has about her wrong and then....she stands him up for the jewels. A lesser man might have left or been embarrassed or have been really upset but not TM he mans up orders an 18oz T-Bone and a glass of scotch, and I bet it would've been the best steak he ever had.
That reminds me of the time....

f14peter
Lieutenant

#57 Post by f14peter »

Always fun to read comments from years ago.

So I read with interest the comments about the title and Magnum's VMO-2 hat with white characters instead of the traditional yellow. I just watched the ep the other night and didn't notice anything odd and I'm sure I would have spotted the white text and hat lettering.

Went back and checked, and for the episode on Encore VOD available in the USA in 2018, the text/characters are more like their usual yellow, not white ...

Not exactly overflowing with chroma, but it is yellow and does offer up a puzzle ... why was there a version of the ep with white text/characters. Working in TV/video production, I can really only offer up that in post-production color correction (standard procedure to make sure all the film matches), either by accident or design at one point the yellow was desaturated, and then at some point restored to its usual color.

I don't have a screen shot but I did notice that in the Encore version, the shoulder patch on Officer Lee's uniform is pretty vivid yellow, but in the website's screen shot shown here the yellow looks equally desaturated ...

Fascinating Captain

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:Given his limited screen time, I would even "boldly" venture that Cesar Romero didn't make the trip to Hawaii for this episode. He has two scenes: the one in his and Krista's place. The second is in the dark--looking very studio-like--and surrounded by foliage as he's setting off the fireworks distraction.
Self Correction Dept.

I must retract my initial statement about Cesar Romero not being in Hawaii. In Aloha Magnum, Larry Manetti states that "Cesar Romero entertained us with stories of old Hollywood."

Little Games remains among my top 10 MPI episodes, and my favorite of season five.

Oh, and this Friday I'll be having that Magnum-style steak dinner once again (with my wife and not alone, thankfully). An 18-ounce steak, though...no way! :lol: Potato skins and Scotch, absolutely.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

cbjoru
Ensign

#59 Post by cbjoru »

Just wanted to add that i spotted a Commodore 64 program list output behind doc in this episode.
Also the fonts of "system crash" and similar looks like early PC/DOS.
So it seems they used many different systems displaying outputs from Dracos III :-D
Liked the episode, simple, funny, and entertaining...

brianw
Rear Admiral

#60 Post by brianw »

Another meh episode, it was OK, nothing outstanding. I did like Krista though.