6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 83

Bes
Commander

#46 Post by Bes »

I think this is the worst episode ever thanks to Jillie Mack's gratingly awful 'English' accent; it really is unbearable!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MACattack »

actually, it was supposed to be 'cockney'. Can you believe that Jillie Mack actually sounds different? She's also married to TS!
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

OK, Mack's cockney is over the top - I agree. But she's very hot as an 80's punk, so I forgot all about it very quickly.

The story is a bit flimsy, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable ride. I like how Rick and TC actually get involved in this case as though they are an investigating team. They must have really wanted that trip to Disneyland!

A few things didn't quite make sense, but the one that was most outstanding was how trigger happy the bad guy in the office was. Would he really be willing to go from embezzling to murder without hesitation?

Overall a decent episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I know I'm kinda becoming the car guy, but here it is anyway. Obsessed Agatha fans might want to pick up this '63 Rambler American on ebay in Arizona: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Looks awesome!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MACattack »

The moral of the story is.... don't eat Mama Peroni's pizza!!! RED BARON is way better, dude!
I just don't give a damn!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Danno »

We somehow missed seeing this episode because it was on the next screen on the DVD menu. DUH... the effect was like having an Episode Easter Egg though. Much enjoyed parts of it- although more to do with the significance of Jillie Mack/Tom Selleck being on screen together. 'You're a bit of alright?!'

Her accent was painful.

... but are there really that many British in Hawaii?!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by nha trang »

The best part of the episode is TM's popcorn popper in the ferrari - and the fact that he contemplates discussing its overactive tendencies (even being a 'free' gift) with the scam-running gift-giver...wow, nice touch TM

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Decent, and humorous episode where Higgins and Agatha have to make a "true" British lady out of an 80's punk wild-child. Love the orange hair! :lol:

I love the ending where Sally ends up tricking her "moronic" finace and helping Magnum and Higgins. :)

Not wonderful, but still a silly, humorous, and entertaining episode for season 5.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#54 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Decent, and humorous episode where Higgins and Agatha have to make a "true" British lady out of an 80's punk wild-child. Love the orange hair! :lol:

I love the ending where Sally ends up tricking her "moronic" finace and helping Magnum and Higgins. :)

Not wonderful, but still a silly, humorous, and entertaining episode for season 5.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#55 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Danno wrote:... but are there really that many British in Hawaii?!
That's one of my pet hates with the show. If your only source of knowledge for all things Hawaiian was Magnum PI, you would be forgiven for thinking that at least 80% of the islands' population is British. It really takes a lot of suspension of disbelief

Speaking of pet hates, once again Magnum prances about like a raving homosexual. The trigger this time is the chance to meet Donald Duck. He's not the only Disney fan though - Rick and TC are ready to get killed for the privilege.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by MaximRecoil »

The battery-operated popcorn popper was comical, though quite impossible; impossible with regard to how it was depicted in this episode at least.

Hot air popcorn poppers are typically between 1000 and 1500 watts, and little flashlight batteries wouldn't even come close to cutting the mustard. It could be done with something like a car battery, which is quite large and weighs about 40 pounds. Also, since a car battery is only 12 volts, a 1000 watt device would draw over 80 amps of current from it, and a 1500 watt device would draw 125 amps. You'd want some heavy power and ground wires for that kind of current, at least 2 gauge.

The reason that thin (16 or 18 gauge) wire can be used for the power cord on ordinary hot air poppers is because they are plugged into 120 volts, which means a 1000 watt device will only draw 8.33 amps, and a 1500 watt device will only draw 12.5 amps.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Sisophous »

Danno wrote:
... but are there really that many British in Hawaii?!
It must be an Oahu thing why they have so many British people. After all, it is not that far from England, only 7,239 miles, or a 14 hour flight. The last time I was in Oahu I met more Brits than Hawaiians....NOT.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Professor Jonathan Higgins (5.13)

#58 Post by Doc Fred »

I gave this a 9, not because of the story line, but because once again, Higgins' honor as a man comes shining through.

I react so positively to episodes where the four main characters show their high regard for each other. In this one, Magnum's empathy for Higgins' unfortunate incident at Sandhurst is clearly shown in his expressions and when Magnum poses as the butler when Higgins' old schoolmates are at the estate. That was excellent.

Showing snobbery as being less than positive (Mrs. Finch and guests) was good to see.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#59 Post by Doc Fred »

IslandHopper wrote:Flubs for Professor Jonathan Higgins:

1. After Sally arrives she, Higgins and Agatha go into the Study. Sally is wearing very heavy make-up and fairly dark lipstick. As Higgins is explaining to Sally that Timothy's family will never accept her as she is, she is wearing the dark lipstick. Magnum comes barging into the Study and when Sally gets out of her chair to talk to Magnum she does not appear to be wearing the dark lipstick anymore.
Nor does the paint on her cheeks seem to be nearly as dark, nor as widespread.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#60 Post by Doc Fred »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:While Magnum tracks down a shady investment company that swindled Agatha and her friends out of $100,000, Higgins attempts to make his distant punk rocker cousin into a lady before she marries into a society family. Silly, but one of the season’s better eps…
Wasn't that $10,000?