6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 70

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:I know what you're thinking, and you're right. A lesser show would have simply let the hero KO the bad guy and be done with it. But this is Magnum, p.i., in which the hero will soon find himself fending off Yakuza henchmen by using a large bowl full of lemons... :D
LOL!! :D

Note: As I was typing my post, the Maybelline mascera commercial that uses the Magnum P.I. theme song began playing in the background! Bizarre!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MaiTaiMan »

As I've mentioned a couple times before...I love episodes that are spooky, bizarre, suspenseful, psychological, etc...

"Compulsion" has all of that...and it's all about Carol! Double awesome!! I really like her in this episode and how she handles being stalked/terrorized. Pretty freaky! :shock: One of my favorites of season 5! :)

This is my favorite Magnum/Carol episode...and I even liked the subtle hints that maybe they could end up having a "thing". :wink: But, they are wise and decide against it. If Kathleen Lloyd had gotten rid of her 80's frizzy perm-job (which was in style back then) and straightened it somewhat, she would have been even better looking. :lol:

I think this episode should have been the season finale...instead of "Dancing Chicken"...my least favorite Magnum/Carol episode. :?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Coops »

Wow, I can't believe I didn't post this when I first joined the forum but the actress that plays "Sunshine", Susan Swift, was a friend of one of my brothers when they were in high school. I met her quite a few times and then she went off to do The Chisholms tv show. I'm going to see if my brother is still in contact with her and see if I can do an informal interview with her regarding her time on the show.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Coops »

Wow, no sooner do I ask him if he is still in contact with her he sends her an email asking if I can ask her some questions about M.P.I.

Awesome.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by miltontheripper »

[quote="MaiTaiMan"]As I've mentioned a couple times before...I love episodes that are spooky, bizarre, suspenseful, psychological, etc...

"Compulsion" has all of that...and it's all about Carol! Double awesome!! I really like her in this episode and how she handles being stalked/terrorized. Pretty freaky! :shock: One of my favorites of season 5! :)

I agree! This episode is very good and probably the best Carol episode. Not to mention that the Higgins/Sandhurst subplot was also very good. Pretty funny seing TM, Rick, and TC as "servants" of Higgins when his friends arrived.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Sisophous »

Coops wrote:Wow, I can't believe I didn't post this when I first joined the forum but the actress that plays "Sunshine", Susan Swift, was a friend of one of my brothers when they were in high school. I met her quite a few times and then she went off to do The Chisholms tv show. I'm going to see if my brother is still in contact with her and see if I can do an informal interview with her regarding her time on the show.
Susan Swift really caught my eye in the role of Sunshine, looking like a flower child from the 60s era. I had never seen her before. She doesn't smile at all, seems serious and doesn't have a big role. She does have an unusual, fresh look, wears provocatively skin tight jeans and is very petite.

Her acting resume is pretty short and wikipedia says she has 7 children and practices law in downtown LA.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sisophous wrote:Her acting resume is pretty short and wikipedia says she has 7 children and practices law in downtown LA.
How in the world does someone have seven children AND go to law school AND have a legal practice? That's crazy.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Sisophous »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
How in the world does someone have seven children AND go to law school AND have a legal practice? That's crazy.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Obviously she must have been getting a lot of help along the way and it doesn't say she is the biological mother. If you think about it anything is possible if you prioritize what means the most to you and the finances are there. Children are expensive as is Law School.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Sisophous wrote:Her acting resume is pretty short and wikipedia says she has 7 children and practices law in downtown LA.
How in the world does someone have seven children AND go to law school AND have a legal practice? That's crazy.
She keeps busy..Here is her blog and a youtube from a call in to Rush two years ago.

http://www.susaninglendale.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-S0J9vvRYs

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:
She keeps busy..Here is her blog and a youtube from a call in to Rush two years ago.

http://www.susaninglendale.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-S0J9vvRYs
Wow! That's one passionate woman! :shock:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

mandolabar
Captain

#31 Post by mandolabar »

We just saw this last night--whole family was watching--and there was spontaneous cheers and applause at "Last one in the copter is a rotten egg!" They were also very pleased with themselves for having spotted who the bad guy was.

I know there's flaws with it, but I gave it a Perfect based on how much the kids got into it. Also with the superb acting from John Hillerman.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Sisophous »

Coops wrote:Wow, I can't believe I didn't post this when I first joined the forum but the actress that plays "Sunshine", Susan Swift, was a friend of one of my brothers when they were in high school. I met her quite a few times and then she went off to do The Chisholms tv show.
Any episode featuring Kathleen Lloyd (Carol Baldwin) is an automatic killer. Just seeing her wants me to turn it off the show she is so annoying.

I got around to watching this episode last night and really the only thing appealing was to see Susan Swift again. She didn't have many lines in her appearance but her acting skills seem as good as others who have become stars. It makes me wonder why some people who have average looks like a Meg Ryan or a Julia Roberts become mega stars while others seem to fade away. Perhaps she got bored with acting.

And what is that thing in her hair???????

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Compulsion (5.14)

#33 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yes, I too immediately knew John Pleshette was the stalker the moment he appeared on screen.

Even before I saw his mannerisms or his fondness for Carol it was obvious to me that it would be him. It's usually the friend that you work with that turns out to be the creep in these types of shows. Plus I vividly remember John Pleshette playing a stalker psycho in the excellent 5th season episode of THE ROCKFORD FILES "Black Mirror" -- it was a 2-part episode with Kathryn Harrold guest-starring as a blind woman who Jim Rockford befriends on the beach, who begins to be stalked and terrorized by Pleshette. I'm almost positive that someone remembered his performance in that episode when they cast him as the stalker here. Of course he was much more creepy and menacing in his ROCKFORD appearance.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#34 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

In the episode 'Squeeze Play' (4.7) we learn that Higgins has a Victoria Cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross).
Not sure but I guess in this episode we can see that VC for the first time. (top right corner of this pic)

Ehy I thought the complete Higgins' name was 'Jonathan Quayle Higgins III'!
Maybe a little flub?
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#35 Post by marlboro »

I didn't care for this one. There was no mystery since the bad guy was obvious from the start and only became more so as the story unfolded. It was just one "damsel in distress" scene after another.

Carol has been so manipulative in her previous appearances that i was surprised that she didn't fake twisting her ankle at the end.

Why doesn't Magnum carry a gun anymore? There have been several instances this season where it's obvious that he will need a weapon and, yet, he repeatedly walks into dangerous situations unarmed. A lazy way to create suspense and danger by the writers imo.

The Higgins subplot was the highlight of the episode. Which has become very common this season. And maybe even in season 4.