No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 84

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: All For One (1) (5.15)

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

These are a bit un Magnum like but are still fun!

- The benning Battle of "Salamander" (lol) battle is hilarious. And like many of you, I'm thinking it is completely insane that Higgy is shooting at our boys with his little cannon. Personally, I loved the fact that TM burst in and spoiled the reinactment. Like he said, if he can't play to win he doesn't want to play!

- Tyler P McKinney is AWESOME/OUT OF SIGHT! Love his character, completely ridiculous yet somehow believable, Robert Forster did a great job here.

- Higgins in battle just cracked me up completely.

- I loved the airplane scene where they all showed up seperately, really cool to see them band together.

By no means a favorite of mine but this two parter (which I think is technically a very long one parter much like "Did You See the Sunrise") is a good solid episode. I like to watch it every now and then just for a change of pace.

Oops, just realized that I made the last two posts on this episode dating back to last December. Wow, maybe I need to shut off Magnum and get a life? Lol!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#47 Post by marlboro »

Milton Collins wrote: Wow, maybe I need to shut off Magnum and get a life? Lol!
I think, if you jump from rooftop to rooftop a few times, that you will realize that your Magnum watching life's mission was the correct choice after all.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Milton Collins »

marlboro wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: Wow, maybe I need to shut off Magnum and get a life? Lol!
I think, if you jump from rooftop to rooftop a few times, that you will realize that your Magnum watching life's mission was the correct choice after all.

Ha ha ha I love it!!!! There are certainly far worse ways to spend your time!!! I usually watch three or four episodes a week, just can never get enough:)

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MaximRecoil »

Not Rick, meet Not TC. Not TC, meet Not Magnum. Not Magnum, meet Not Rick.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#50 Post by marlboro »

^^^ lol

1 - Higgy Baby has snapped and started dressing Robin Master's guests as Rick, Thomas, and TC so that he can hunt them down with his cannon "Most Dangerous Game" style.

Or

2 - they did a sloppy job of hiding the stunt guys.

Both scenarios are equally likely, imo.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:^^^ lol

1 - Higgy Baby has snapped and started dressing Robin Master's guests as Rick, Thomas, and TC so that he can hunt them down with his cannon "Most Dangerous Game" style.

Or

2 - they did a sloppy job of hiding the stunt guys.

Both scenarios are equally likely, imo.
It's totally #1.

But to be serious, this is an amazing and very moving episode in about fifty different ways, most of which have been spelled out already in this thread so I won't rehash it. I did not find it cheesy at all. I liked the way it was obvious the mission would not have succeeded without the unique contributions each one of them brought to the team. Good stuff.

The airplane door lowering and the old warhorse standing there prepared to board is probably my #1 favorite moment in the entire series.

Small but great moment: when the gang arrives back at the village after the mission and TC grabs Magnum in a bear hug, then turns to hug Higgins, who glares at him like "Don't even think about it," then grabs his hand and gives him a manly clap on the shoulder. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#52 Post by K Hale »

RamblerReb wrote:
  • In the shootout on the river with the bandits, Selleck again shows his real-life weapons experience by firing his MP5 in short, controlled, aimed bursts with the extended stock firmly against his shoulder, no flinching or blinking to be seen. Hillerman again shows his relative inexperience by "spraying and praying" into the jungle, stock retracted, closing his eyes every time he pulls the trigger.
They should've given him a TSMG.

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#53 Post by brianw »

Other than the combat scenes being a little corny, this (along with part 2) is one of the better episodes of the series for me. Especially in Season 5, where it seems like most of the other episodes are pretty boring. It really hammers home the relationship of the guys, and makes Higgins basically an equal to them. And Robert Forster is definitely one of the better guest stars of the series as well.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:I just saw this episode again recently. This one seems to get better with repeated viewings. All for one and one for all! Tyler Peabody McKinney may be my all-time favorite "episode character" of the show. Robert Forster is just fantastic in this role! "Outasight!". :)
Also, when Tyler says Magnum was "the best at bringing back scalps", what exactly does this mean? I've heard of guys bringing back ears and other "things" to prove their "hit count", but never scalps! Is it just a figure of speech?
Hi JJ,
I agree with you 100% on Tyler being a great character portrayed by one of the best character actors ever, Robert Forster. Forster owns the screen whenever he appears,
as he usually does - when allowed - in whatever production he is in on TV and the movies. Credit Selleck and cast for letting him steal every scene and getting the best lines(some of the best in the series) in this episode. Almost any other lead actor would never let a guest actor shine like that, TS is indeed a very big man.
Tyler: "I think it's about time we stopped putting conditions on the words freedom, and commitment. You live them or you don't. And that's why we're here."
Magnum, wryly ironic: "And the action."
Tyler, battered & wounded: "Yeah. Only right now the action hurts too much."

As Rick leaves the Thai hotel bar to go off to bed, the B Girl he was partying with coldly makes a remark which the guys picks up on though none of them except
Higgins understands the lingo. Magnum asks what she said. Higgins: "She said she was looking into the eyes of a dead man." Great scene!
I think this episode provides the key to who Rick is with his almost innocent romantic delusions about the daughter of the old villager he later has to gun down as
his training and circumstances requires.
Rick is shattered when he sees the look on his 'beloved's' face when he kills her Dad. Though he was doing his 'duty', for the greater good, Rick seems always to differ
from his comrades in that they are more easily able to put their emotions and humanity in check. Thomas has to walk over and take Rick's pistol away, just in case.
This is as opposed to Magnum, who casual fans of the series mistakenly view as a sports car driving PI in paradise who is merely eye candy for the ladies that he
chases non-stop.
The stone cold warrior Magnum is actually quite dark and not someone you'd ever want to cross in a way that resolves him to decide you are a mortal
threat to him and his own. If the job calls for someone to hunt down the enemy and remorselessly kill, he is your man, be it in Vietnam or home in Hawaii.
Hence Tyler's assessment of Magnum, which a stone faced Magnum can't deny though his new life in Hawaii is his attempt to bury that Magnum
forever -
Tyler: "And you was the best guy I ever seen at going behind the lines and coming back with the scalps."
That would never be Rick or TC. Higgins, yes, maybe that's part of his unspoken bond and shared regret with Magnum.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#55 Post by 308GUY »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:I just saw this episode again recently. This one seems to get better with repeated viewings. All for one and one for all! Tyler Peabody McKinney may be my all-time favorite "episode character" of the show. Robert Forster is just fantastic in this role! "Outasight!". :)
Also, when Tyler says Magnum was "the best at bringing back scalps", what exactly does this mean? I've heard of guys bringing back ears and other "things" to prove their "hit count", but never scalps! Is it just a figure of speech?
Hi JJ,
I agree with you 100% on Tyler being a great character portrayed by one of the best character actors ever, Robert Forster. Forster owns the screen whenever he appears,
as he usually does - when allowed - in whatever production he is in on TV and the movies. Credit Selleck and cast for letting him steal every scene and getting the best lines(some of the best in the series) in this episode. Almost any other lead actor would never let a guest actor shine like that, TS is indeed a very big man.
Tyler: "I think it's about time we stopped putting conditions on the words freedom, and commitment. You live them or you don't. And that's why we're here."

As Rick leaves the Thai hotel bar to go off to bed, the B Girl he was partying with coldly makes a remark which the guys picks up on though none of them except
Higgins understands the lingo. Magnum asks what she said. Higgins: "She said she was looking into the eyes of a dead man." Great scene!
I think this episode provides the key to who Rick is with his almost innocent romantic delusions about the daughter of the old villager he later has to gun down as
Rick is shattered when he sees the look on his 'beloved's' face when he kills her Dad. Though he was doing his 'duty', for the greater good, Rick seems always to differ
from his comrades in that they are more easily able to put their emotions and humanity in check. Thomas has to walk over and take Rick's pistol away, just in case.
This is as opposed to Magnum, who casual fans of the series mistakenly view as a sports car driving PI in paradise who is merely eye candy for the ladies that he
chases non-stop.
The stone cold warrior Magnum is actually quite dark and not someone you'd ever want to cross in a way that resolves him to decide you are a mortal
threat to him and his own. If the job calls for someone to hunt down the enemy and remorselessly kill, he is your man, be it in Vietnam or home in Hawaii.
Hence Tyler's assessment of Magnum, which a stone faced Magnum can't deny though his new life in Hawaii is his attempt to bury that Magnum
forever -
Tyler: "And you was the best guy I ever seen at going behind the lines and coming back with the scalps."
That would never be Rick or TC. Higgins, yes, maybe that's part of his unspoken bond and shared regret with Magnum.

Great post! So much to like about this episode...so much to take in. This woulda/coulda/shoulda been a good big screen movie release, IMHO.

Well said Dobie. I also liked the interaction between TC and his helper while trying to refurbish the "chopper"....as I said...so MUCH to take in and like about this video play! :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Hi JJ,

chases non-stop.
forever -

Great post! So much to like about this episode...so much to take in. This woulda/coulda/shoulda been a good big screen movie release, IMHO.
Well said Dobie. I also liked the interaction between TC and his helper while trying to refurbish the "chopper"....as I said...so MUCH to take in and like about this video play! :geek:
Hi 308Guy or CCCVIIIHominem,
Thank you. And I have to agree with you that this could make a stand alone movie, even without any Magnum ties. You know we never talk much about the Magnum writers in Magnum Mania, perhaps in future we could note who wrote the better episodes and see if any name repeatedly sticks out. This episode is written by one Reuben Leder who also wrote, directed and produced many others. We could also see who was nurtured on Magnum and went on to bigger things, as Leder has done.
One guy on the Route 66 forum I belong to came up with a list of some 20 odd future Oscar winners associated with the series, including it's creator Sterling Silliphant
who won for writing In the Heat of the Night(1968). And who maintained to the end of his life he did better work on Route 66.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

AJL wrote:I just finished watching these 2 episodes, and I gotta say they are maybe the worst so far (I'm watching chronologically). I voted both of them just awful. This is just not what I'm looking for in a Magnum P.I. episode at all. Instead of good times, beatiful Hawaiian scenery, hot cars & girls etc., we get bad, generic, mediocre at best, vietnamese war action. Just terrible, and Higgins just felt so out of place. Just my 2 cents :)
Oh yeah, and I also found the whole recreation battle at the beginning quite bizarre, stupid, and again: out of character for Higgins.
What you said is not remotely a matter of differing opinions. You haven't the faintest understanding of who these four men are when you write that
Magnum PI should be about "good times, beatiful Hawaiian scenery, hot cars & girls."
That's a teenagers grasp of Magnum PI, with all due respect.
This episode has some of the richest subtext in the series, and what seems like a silly but fun opening features throw away lines that aren't.
When Magnum complains to Higgins that he wants the boys to serve but won't let them win the faux("bizarre, stupid" as you termed it), battle, the writers
are actually referring to the Vietnam War...as is Tyler's constant changing the reasons for why they are fighting when they get back overseas. Tyler's first reason
is in fact a lie(hello Gulf of Tonkin Incident).
Higgins out of place on this run? Well maybe, but the other vets understand that this winner of the Victoria Cross!!! is honoring the soldiers code of being there
for your buddies, which is also addressed in this episode. Besides his knowledge of the terrain and languages do come in handy, and his revealing to TM of what
the B Girl in the hotel said about Rick is great writing and one of the most chilling lines/scenes - for me - in the entire series as it came out of left field.
If this wasn't a ongoing series but a one off movie no doubt Rick's fate would have been as the B Girl predicted.
I also liked that Higgins obviously ordered the girl to get the hell out as soon as he heard her prediction of Rick's death, Magnum instantly picking up on all this and
demanding a translation of what transpired. Magnum is back in warrior SEAL mode and not much escapes his notice, now there is a guy you want guarding your flank.
This episode is "just awful"?
You remind me of what the Beatnik said when the Square wandered into the coffee house and asked him to explain Jazz:
"Man if you got to ask, as the poet said, you'll never know"

PS - I just noticed this post has some of the same themes as my above post. I was revisiting this thread and was replying to a page one post from some years back, had forgotten all about my later post in this thread. I wasn't trying to belabor a point but "AJL" rankled me.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

Hear hear. Let me add a couple things...
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:When Magnum complains to Higgins that he wants the boys to serve but won't let them win the faux("bizarre, stupid" as you termed it), battle, the writers
are actually referring to the Vietnam War...
Great take and one I never thought of.
Higgins out of place on this run? Well maybe, but the other vets understand that this winner of the Victoria Cross!!! is honoring the soldiers code of being there
for your buddies, which is also addressed in this episode. Besides his knowledge of the terrain and languages do come in handy, and his revealing to TM of what
the B Girl in the hotel said about Rick is great writing and one of the most chilling lines/scenes - for me - in the entire series as it came out of left field.
If this wasn't a ongoing series but a one off movie no doubt Rick's fate would have been as the B Girl predicted.
They would have been crazy to leave Higgins behind. Sure he's older than they are (although they're not spring chickens) and out of shape, but I didn't see him having trouble keeping up, in fact he reached the enemy camp faster than Magnum and Tyler did at the end of part 1 (despite having exsanguinated himself saving Rick's life) because he knew the terrain better and took all the short cuts. And not only does he know the terrain and the languages, he has more experience than Magnum, TC, and Rick put together. Plus he has medical training, which came in super handy for Rick, the guy who tried to tell him "You're too, too...."

My favorite shot in the entire series was the plane door coming down and seeing Higgins standing there, having come on this mission thinking he was the only one who would be coming -- remember, they all told each other they weren't going -- and even though he didn't know Quincannon, was not in the Vietnam War, and as an MI6 agent for all we know could even have had something to do with MI6's work in keeping Great Britain out of the war, he showed up believing he'd be going into this alone except for Tyler, another guy he doesn't know. This gets overlooked. Higgins was there, I think, for multiple complex reasons, more so than the others; helping Quincannon, proving something to himself (though one would hardly think that necessary!), and maybe missing the action too as Tyler perceptively says.
I also liked that Higgins obviously ordered the girl to get the hell out as soon as he heard her prediction of Rick's death, Magnum instantly picking up on all this and
demanding a translation of what transpired.
One of many times in the series when I wish the captions translated the dialogue instead of just "speaking Vietnamese" or whatever it said. I would really like to know exactly what was said.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:Hear hear. Let me add a couple things...My favorite shot in the entire series was the plane door coming down and seeing Higgins standing there,
having come on this mission thinking he was the only one who would be coming.

KHale,
I totally missed that, good point!
By the way, when Tyler is in Higgins's office trying to enlist the guys (in part one), several times you can spot Higgins's decorations mounted on the wall.
COZI TV's version was a little dark, can any of the awards be recognized? Is Higgins's Victoria Cross evident? Are they ever seen in other episodes?

--------------------------------------------------------------
"I told the doctor these new pills she prescribed gave me suicidal thoughts. Now she wants me to pay in advance"
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#60 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Just watched this episode again the other night. Excellent display of the bond these men shared. I noticed something though this time around I hadn't before, I think Higgins Paternal role was the main reason he went. Of course he was a distinguished war veteran and even had England's version of the Medal of Honor but he went because Magnum went. TM told him he was "going to Maui" so Higgins knew he had to go and be a steward of sorts. I fully believe if Tom had not gone Higgins would not have either. I also love the stark contrast in tone this episode takes. The guys don't really smile. The bar scene even shows them conversing coldly and stoic. The CIA aspect was interesting as well, I fully believe Tyler was a spook and was bankrolled by the CIA which makes me wonder after he was killed how did the guys fly back? I cant imagine it would be easy buying a ticket from Cambodia to Hawaii.
That reminds me of the time....