1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

All For One (2) (5.16)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for All For One (2) (5.16). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/7/1985
In this thrilling two-part episode, Magnum, T.C., Rick and Higgins find themselves on dangerous foreign territory when they agree to help find an old Vietnam war buddy who is being held hostage in Cambodia.

Tanaka's Hat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2 Post by Tanaka's Hat »

I have to say I really enjoyed this episode and it was great in showing that none of them had really moved on from their previous lives. For me, Higgins role in the episode was the one that stood out the most and, despite his usual demeanor, showed how much cared for the very people who tend to make him the butt of many a joke. Once again, it's an episode that make's you feel really sorry for TC. That chap has got serious parental issues (Tran Quoc Jones, Round and Around)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Second half of this two-parter, and I’ve got to say, it’s a pretty good one!

[rating=9.5]

As Magnum, Higgins and Tyler are held prisoner by the sadistic Vietnamese Major, it becomes apparent that Tyler has not been completely honest about their mission. An excellent conclusion to this decent two-parter…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

Although part one of this two-part story was slow in places, and left me with a mixed opinion, things really come to life in this concluding part.

Larry Manetti gives a decent performance of the delirious Rick, as he spurts out things about his past (although you might need the subtitles on to catch all of it, as he says much of it under his breath). Manetti must have loved this, coming in a season in which Rick hasn’t had all that much to do thus far.

As he and Higgins are held captive, Magnum’s monologue is also good, but a bit overlong, repeating Part I’s trend of dragging things out a little too much.

I like T.C.’s friendship with young ‘Joe’, and the two actors work really well together. However, you just know that Joe is going to buy the farm by the end of the episode!

Although I enjoy the deeper story, one of my gripes about the fifth season has been that it is over-talky and lacking real action. Well this episode serves to address that, and is one of the most action-packed instalments not only of the season, but of the entire series.

As I said in my review of Part I, this story could easily been condensed and worked well as a standard single episode – presumably the budget needed for such an explosive story dictated that it be worked into a two-parter?

Not much more to say on this one really; just to say that this comes off as one of the best of the fifth season, and it’s a shame more of the 1984-85 season didn’t see more of this quality.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* In the scene just before Higgins arrives in the truck, there are several shots of Magnum firing his rifle where there is no audio effect of it being fired. I’m not sure if this is the same as my version recorded off-air (see below), or if this was an audio error on the DVD (a batch of ‘Knight Rider’ third season DVDs had many such effects missing due to a production error).

* Part I of this story had no narration from Magnum; this part has no narration until the very end of the final scene.

* As mentioned on my review for Part I, I seem to have misplaced the videocassette that I recorded this episode on. I’ll have to search through my (enormous) old box of tapes to find it sometime. So I can’t tell if Five’s broadcast of this episode in 2001 was altered in any way. I’d imagine that Tom Selleck’s “Last week on Part I, of ‘All For One’” was altered (as with ‘Echoes of the Mind (part II)’, as the episodes were being shown each weekday, not weekly. Also, I’d expect that some of the shots of people being gunned down were edited. Updates when I find the missing tape in question!
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Is Rick using a Detonics Pocket 9?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:Is Rick using a Detonics Pocket 9?
No, that is a compact 1911-type gun.

There are 3 basic sizes for 1911-type guns:

• Colt Government Model size (5" bbl.)
• Colt Commander size (4.25" bbl.)
• Colt Officer's ACP size (3.5" bbl.)

There are also some examples of mixing and matching with those three basic sizes, such as a Commander-length slide/barrel on an Officers ACP-size frame; and "longslide" variants (6" or 7" bbl.—Arnold used a 7" bbl. AMT Longslide with a comically huge [by today's standards] laser sight in The Terminator).

The gun in that picture is Colt Officer's ACP size. It has a ribbed slide, flared ejection port, and spur hammer, meaning it is not a Colt Officer's Model. My guess is that it is a Detonics Combat Master. It would be nice if the hand wasn't in the way, because the Detonics Combat Master has a distinctive rear sight, which the hand is covering. I'll see if I can watch this episode again (it has been a long while since I've seen it) and get a better look at the gun.

BTW, technically the Colt Officer's ACP size 1911s could be called "Detonics Combat Master size", since it was the original production 1911-type gun in that size (it predates the Officer's ACP by about 10 years).

Edited to add: Yes, the gun is definitely a Detonics Combat Master:

As you can see from the forward-mounted rear sight preceded by a flat area milled into the top of the slide, which is a Detonics trademark. The Combat Master also has a distinctive looking flare-job on the ejection port:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, thanks again Max! :)

Nice job with the screen shot. I tried to get it before the hand covered the gun, but I just couldn't do it! You have mad screen shot skills! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by robspace54 »

My wife and I were vacationing on Maui in 1985 when this episode aired. I remember getting ready for dinner at our Kalapana hotel and this episode was on. Seemed really neat to be in Hawaii, the home of Magnum, watching the show. Of course the episode was taking place in Cambodia.
Still with the moon shining in the hotel window over the palm trees while watching Magnum, it was a special moment.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Also, when Tyler says Magnum was "the best at bringing back scalps", what exactly does this mean? I've heard of guys bringing back ears and other "things" to prove their "hit count", but never scalps! Is it just a figure of speech?

I recently re-watched the opening "Battle of Salamanca" scene and you know what, it is strongly implied that he is firing his cannon! At first I thought maybe we are supposed to think they rigged up some small explosives around the ground, or something. But in re-viewing it, it's pretty clear - Higgins is seen loading and firing the cannon, Rick is shouting out, "Hey, that almost hit me!". Not only is this shocking from the standpoint of "it's dangerous as hell to shoot in the general direction of people with a cannon, no matter how old the cannon is!", but also because Higgins is destroying some of his beloved flora and lush lawn! Bizarre! :shock:
I think that the "scalps" term was just a figure of speech...and meant that Magnum could take out the enemy pretty good as they invaded certain territories in Vietnam. But, I'll be honest and say that phrase has always somewhat had me stumped too...I'm not really sure what it meant? :?: I'm just guessing. But, I don't really think Magnum literally brought back scalps of dead Vietnamese soldiers. :shock:

Anyway, yeah the cannon thing with Higgins at the beginning was humorous...but very unrealistic and out of character for Higgins to fire his cannon on flowers/plants/lawn of the Robin Masters' Estate! :o I'm sure Higgy Baby had no problem firing it at Rick and T.C.--but he would've chosen a better area that would not have put any of the lush and beautiful landscaping in jeapordy. :wink:

However...leaving out the couple relatively unimportant issues mentioned...I really have grown to love this 2-part episode! If I'm to be honest, the part or aspect I love the most is that everyone helps and takes part in the mission....even Higgins!! Dang...Higgins can fire a machine gun with no problem! That was awesome! I also enjoyed the fact that this time he was helping and being involved with a military operation that wasn't his own...or tied to one of his old stories.

This is a very heart-felt and somewhat sad episode...but captivating and action-packed just the same! I had great respect for all the characters in this one and (like the 2-part "Did You See the Sunrise?") really showed what those guys had to go through in Vietnam. The care, love, and bravery that everyone showed was amazing!

Even though this is a somewhat "dark" 2-parter...I still enjoy viewing it and it "touches" me everytime! Excellent...and I rated it as such.

(I put this same review for Part 1)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

RamblerReb
Commander

#9 Post by RamblerReb »

A technical note or two:
  • The truck Higgins (cigar clenched firmly in teeth) picks up Magnum and the others in is a Kaiser Jeep M715, made from 1967 to 1969.
  • The jeep Joe picks up TC in is an M151 MUTT (Military Utility Tactical Truck). They were renowned for their tendency to roll over during quick turns on paved roads. The DOD determined them to be unsafe for highway use and so few made it onto the civilian market. Their top speed of 55mph would have made them less-than-popular anyway, at least among those stuck behind them on two-lane roads.
Now a little niggle I had with this episode: How is it that Rick brought his Detonics with him, but Magnum left his 1911 at home? Surely if Rick could get his piece in-country, Magnum should have been able to. It's not important, but it bothered me.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MaiTaiMan »

RamblerReb wrote: Now a little niggle I had with this episode: How is it that Rick brought his Detonics with him, but Magnum left his 1911 at home? Surely if Rick could get his piece in-country, Magnum should have been able to. It's not important, but it bothered me.
Just a little show-quirk you're just supposed to go with. :wink: Sometimes if you get too "technical" or try to analyze every aspect to each episode...you'll find things don't always match reality. Sometimes you just have to watch the episode and go with it...you'll enjoy it a lot more. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

RamblerReb
Commander

#11 Post by RamblerReb »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
RamblerReb wrote: Now a little niggle I had with this episode: How is it that Rick brought his Detonics with him, but Magnum left his 1911 at home? Surely if Rick could get his piece in-country, Magnum should have been able to. It's not important, but it bothered me.
Just a little show-quirk you're just supposed to go with. :wink: Sometimes if you get too "technical" or try to analyze every aspect to each episode...you'll find things don't always match reality. Sometimes you just have to watch the episode and go with it...you'll enjoy it a lot more. :)
I understand that, but I, as you may have noted, am a technical kind of guy. I still enjoy Magnum, don't worry. I wouldn't have four seasons of it if I didn't! :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MaiTaiMan »

RamblerReb wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:
I understand that, but I, as you may have noted, am a technical kind of guy. I still enjoy Magnum, don't worry. I wouldn't have four seasons of it if I didn't! :)
LOL! :lol: I have noticed you are a very technical guy (walking encyclopedia)--have learned a lot and find some of it very interesting.

But even though I like some "technicality", after a while it gets old for me, and it sort of ruins the "point" to episodes/shows. That's just me, though. 8)

But...you have only 4 seasons?? Why not all 8? :)

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by miltontheripper »

I am posting this for both of the two part episodes. Wow this was a great two parter! Even though he's pretty much a complete schmuck Tyler P Mickenny is a GREAT character in my opinion, out of sight lol! Seeing all the guys pool together for the same mission was awesome. Loved the action in this episode, especially Higgins with a machine gun. Definitely one of the highlights of season 5 in my opinion. Rated it a 9.0

mandolabar
Captain

#14 Post by mandolabar »

I watched this last night with my daughter...we liked it, the way it contrasted their "at home" level of sparring, which can seem very serious, with their support and care for each other when it really counts.

I loved the interaction, and how it showed how each of them really understood the others. Best line was Higgins': I'll go next, after he and Magnum heard the torturers bringing McKinney back. Knowing quite well what he faced and willing to put himself before those he cared about.

~Amanda

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by robspace54 »

Watched both parts the other day. The last time I saw it was in Feb. 1985 when on vacation in Maui. We were staying in Lahaina and remember getting ready for dinner with the TV on and it all fit with Magnum on the tube. The crescent moon was shining over the palm trees, and my pregnant wife was wearing a fetching outfit. That in utero baby girl is now a married woman and is 26 years old... How time flies.

Hard to think now what a long shadow the Vietnam War cast over that era, and Magnum, p.i. , a tv show, dealt very well with it.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.