6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#16 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I like the ending. The irony of Rick killing the girl's father, the apparently selfish Tyler sacrificing himself for those children and finally the sweet rest of the warriors.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: All For One (2) (5.16)

#17 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Good episode even though it seemed to move kind of slow in the begining.

I'm not sure how the major was able to shake off being blown up like it was nothing. He must have been really, really tough. I thought the part with Rick falling in love and wanting to marry the girl was a bit much. They'd done it so much with him that I think it lost a little of the impact here. Instead of thinking, "wow, he must not be thinking clearly about this. He's only known her a few hours and most of those he was delerious" I thought, "oh, this again."

The parts where TC and Joe interacted were really great. TC running out to get the kid's body in hopes that he may be alive despite the heavy fire around him was a pretty dramatic scene. The guys being helpless as the woman was shot above them was also pretty dramatic. Once it was wrapped up and they went back to their normal lives it was a great metaphor for what happens in war.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: All For One (Part Two)

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count: 1 – Only counting Major Thieu, not all the extras
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 3
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/566759476
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#19 Post by Blackmamba »

My favorite moment? Higgins driving up in that truck with a stogie in his mouth! Very believable.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by charybdis1966 »

This story had so many A Team overtones - did they just lift some incidental music from that programme onto MPI as it was just TC instead of BA Baracus ? I believe the Post/Carpenter team worked on both series.

That gripe aside this was a counterbalance to the proliferation of light-hearted “fluff” episodes in season 5.

The darkest scene was TM’s monologue while McKinney’s shrieks from being tortured were heard occasionally.
Higgins showed he was a courageous man when he said he’d go next after McKinney was brought back, a bloodied and bruised mess.

The final scene back at the estate did bring into sharp relief how the war never really left TM, TC and Rick.

Despite some cheesy interludes this one made me think.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:42 am This story had so many A Team overtones - did they just lift some incidental music from that programme onto MPI as it was just TC instead of BA Baracus ? I believe the Post/Carpenter team worked on both series.

That gripe aside this was a counterbalance to the proliferation of light-hearted “fluff” episodes in season 5.
The darkest scene was TM’s monologue while McKinney’s shrieks from being tortured were heard occasionally.
Higgins showed he was a courageous man when he said he’d go next after McKinney was brought back, a bloodied and bruised mess.
The final scene back at the estate did bring into sharp relief how the war never really left TM, TC and Rick.
Despite some cheesy interludes this one made me think.
It struck that while this 2 parter is a prominent episode teeming with subtext which give a searing insight into who Magnum and the boys are,
there have been a grand total of 20 comments since 2007 while some inferior episodes have reams of replies.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by charybdis1966 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:52 am
It struck that while this 2 parter is a prominent episode teeming with subtext which give a searing insight into who Magnum and the boys are,
there have been a grand total of 20 comments since 2007 while some inferior episodes have reams of replies.
Yes, that occurred to me too; the only thing I can think of to rationalise this is maybe a lot of people have commented on the Part 1 thread for the whole two parter instead.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:20 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:52 am
Yes, that occurred to me too; the only thing I can think of to rationalise this is maybe a lot of people have commented on the Part 1 thread for the whole two parter instead.
Hi Charybdis1966,
You are right of course, I came across All For One (5.16) without thinking to check the comments for the first part, 5.15.
Color me red for I was one of many posting there about this excellent 2 parter, but once you get over 900 comments on the MM boards you forget what you posted.
The most chilling moment we discussed there was when Higgins reluctantly translated to Magnum what the Thai hooker said to and about Rick, that she was looking into the eyes of a dead man.
What a stone, soulless bitch and what good writing. How many other series would have included such a moment?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by charybdis1966 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:54 pm
Hi Charybdis1966,
You are right of course, I came across All For One (5.16) without thinking to check the comments for the first part, 5.15.
Color me red for I was one of many posting there about this excellent 2 parter, but once you get over 900 comments on the MM boards you forget what you posted.
The most chilling moment we discussed there was when Higgins reluctantly translated to Magnum what the Thai hooker said to and about Rick, that she was looking into the eyes of a dead man.
What a stone, soulless bitch and what good writing. How many other series would have included such a moment?
[/quote]

You’re so right about forgetting what you’ve posted. I’m only in the 200 and something number of posts and I have several times in the last few months watched an episode for what I think is the first time and then looked at the relevant thread and found a comment from myself from about 9 years ago saying how much I liked or disliked it.
The trouble is my opinions back then don’t even always agree with what I think now !
It feels like I’m contradicting myself when that happens. 😬

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#25 Post by Treadwell »

Funny how editing works out: Part 1 apparently came up short, hence the extended teaser and end credits.

THIS one probably has the shortest end credits of the series! ;)