6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 84

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

#31 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

Whenever I watch an episode from a TV Series, I always make my own critique. I thought the episode was excellent.

Northern_Union
Lieutenant Commander

#32 Post by Northern_Union »

I'd forgotten how revealing the bikini's were back in the 80's. The Japanesse lady that did most of the talking, her eyes must have been watering durring that final sequence.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#33 Post by Olivier »

Italian Ice wrote:Ok, I wanted to inquire as to if anyone thinks this may be a flub, but this more of a "what the heck is that" sort of flub.

The moment after Kanki's newphew fires 2 shots at the chopper Mac used to take the girls away from the estate (about 40+ minutes in. The scene shifts to the outside of the estate (Higgins, Rich and TC are tied up) where you here Higgins say:

"I have never seen such a craven display of cowardice in my entire life"

You will notice on the far right you can see a white door opening, and a person gets out and closes the door. Who is that? And why is that person not saving the others? Stage crew person perhaps?
Yes you're right, we can see a crew member on the right. He's closing a door, it seems high, maybe a production truck was there.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

I believe this episode holds the title for "Highest Number Of Beautiful Women With Speaking Lines" - all three Japanese ladies, all four rental car agents, and an aerobics Carolyn Seymour. ;)

Just a fun, fun episode!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

burny
Commander

#35 Post by burny »

I enjoy the silly episodes that ensure the show does not take itself too seriously. Actually, I am kinda sure the producers intentionally had a certain
amount of "silly" episodes to ensure the show was not ever perceived as
taking itself too seriously and maintained its "escapist entertainment" motif.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by wwmd »

This episode was on last night. Magnum throwing lemons = HILARIOUS!!!

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#37 Post by Agatha »

I have a little trouble with the Love Boat episode...pretty silly. But fun...over the top...

By the way...GREAT avatar, Sammy!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Ok...all you have to include is Fake Mac, and you automatically equal a crappy or stupid episode! :x

I find this episode ridiculous and dumb...I can't believe that #1 Fake/Loser Mac would be so stupid to try and pull one of his usual cons over on the "gang" again--like they wouldn't guess he was lying? Hello!! :idea: And #2 I couldn't believe that they'd have the "gang" be so stupid to go along with and/or fall for one of Fake Mac's cons once again...hello!! :shock:

Then we have Ice Pick wanting to beat the crap out of Rick! :? Okay, in reality any mob/gangster guy wouldn't care about anyone but himself...so killing or breaking the legs of anyone he suddenly decided to wouldn't be that big of a deal. But...this was "Magnum" and Rick & Ice Pick! In the show they should've had Ice wanting to "ice" Fake Mac instead of Rick...and full-filling that want! :wink:

Okay...then we have Magnum trying to beat up/take down bad guys by throwing freakin' lemons at them?? :shock: What the heck!! :roll:

This was a "dud" episode, and one of Season 5's most pathetic. :x
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by miltontheripper »

I really liked this episode. I actually am even starting to like fake Mac more and more. Rick is such a good character, any episode focusing on him is a good one in my book. Not to mention three hot women in bikini's for most of the episode as well. Very entertaining, I rated it a 9.5

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#40 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:One element I really like is Magnum, travelling from airport to airport trying to track down Mac – each airport is clearly the same set, just with a different poster on the wall, changing with each city visited. It is tongue-in-cheek things like this that made the series so fun. I haven’t a clue what all the lemons were about though!
As Firefly indicated on the last page, the joke about the lemons is that at all of these car rental booths at the airports they have a "no lemons" sign [meaning that their cars aren't lemons] and, to be cute, are offering free (real) lemons!

This is one of my favorites from season 5. A good goofy one with three yummy ladies in scanty clothing throughout! (Pardon my sexism, but, come on, women in bikinis is one of the appeals of this show for me!) :wink:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#41 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

A few observations:

1) There is no slavery in Japan

2) Higgins opens the shower door expecting to find Magnum but finds one of the Japanese girls instead. Is he that close to Magnum that he thinks nothing of opening the shower door when Magnum is inside?

3) All airports in California seem to look remarkably similar.

4) Is is so expensive to shoot in an actual airport terminal? They did it several times during the run of the show...

5) When the Yakuza henchmen are on Mac's boat and Magnum tries to hide, he's dropping lemons like they were free. Hardly the best way to go unnoticed. Are those lemons suddenly so important to him that he can't put them down or was he actually planning in advanced to use them in lieu of his gun?

Pretty enjoyable silly episode though whith one memorable quote:

"Mac": 'What kind of sleaze do you think I am?'
Magnum: 'Is this multiple choice?

Not to mention 'Bye, Mr. Wong!'

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Kevster »

So nobody has yet identified the pistol that Rick pulls out after getting ruoughed up in his office? Is it the same Detonics .45 Combat Master from All for One 1 & 2?
Trust Me!!!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaximRecoil »

Kevster wrote:So nobody has yet identified the pistol that Rick pulls out after getting ruoughed up in his office? Is it the same Detonics .45 Combat Master from All for One 1 & 2?
Yes, and in at least one other episode as well.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17)

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

Any Magnum episode with the lovely Marilyn Tokuda is worthy, just from her presence. And, her two equally lovely sisters, Jeanne Kanai and Masayo Ha, totally enhance the viewing pleasure.

As has been said, it's a very silly, unrealistic show, but a fun one.... especially after following "All For One", which was really heavy and serious.

Like so many others, I don't see how Magnum and Rick can keep letting themselves be deceived by Mac. Well, Rick, maybe because he seems to be pretty naive and easily conned. But, Magnum with his type of job would never really fall for all the lies that Mac throws out there. I rather like the Mac character, though.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17)

#45 Post by Doc Ibold »

Doc Fred wrote:Any Magnum episode with the lovely Marilyn Tokuda is worthy, just from her presence. And, her two equally lovely sisters, Jeanne Kanai and Masayo Ha, totally enhance the viewing pleasure.

As has been said, it's a very silly, unrealistic show, but a fun one.... especially after following "All For One", which was really heavy and serious.

Like so many others, I don't see how Magnum and Rick can keep letting themselves be deceived by Mac. Well, Rick, maybe because he seems to be pretty naive and easily conned. But, Magnum with his type of job would never really fall for all the lies that Mac throws out there. I rather like the Mac character, though.
I think Magnum gives him some slack because "Mac" has helped him out before, in a twisted sort of way. Rick, for being able to spot a con a mile away is a bit of a different story, strictly because his character is based upon street smarts.

It's a silly, cheesy episode, but it goes well in its placement after All For One to she you everything has its place in the Magnaverse