2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 84

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#51 Post by marlboro »

Steve wrote:I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the picture is a photograph of Larry Manetti's wife. I'm sorry I couldn't capture the following picture of Larry and his wife at the "Monte Walsh" premier I found on IMDB, but just click on the link and try to imagine her twenty years ago.....

http://us.imdb.com/media/rm3283589120/nm0542027
J.J. Walters wrote:Hmm, I don't know. I don't think it's her. Here is a screen cap of her from "Computer Date" (1982)...

I think the pic is Mrs. Manetti:

Similar forehead and jawline. Similar hair styles.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17)

#52 Post by Milton Collins »

I think this episode is completely ridiculous and fun and gave it an 8.

- I am in the minority but I like fake Mac. He gives a good comedic element in his recurring role.

- Any episode focusing on Rick is awesome, he completely cracks me up with his crazy and usually unsuccessful business deals.

- Pretty hilarious that poor Magnum didn't get his fishing trips. Mr Wong? Ha ha ha died laughing when they kept calling TM that.

- The Lad's holding the phone for Higgins was the highlight for me, I LOVE those two and feel like they are vital to the show altogether.

- Would Icepick really treat Rick that harshly? I mean, breaking his legs when he's like a son to him? I get that he lent him a large sum of $ but I'm always a little surprised at this part given their long time relationship.

- The lead Japanese girl is very easy on the eyes :)

- The lemon scene is just awful but is so dang funny I can't help but laugh. And I love TC throwing Mack back in the drink at the end lol.

This is just a silly episode that I enjoy. More evidence of the fantastic range that Magnum PI showed, it could be silly and comical or deadly serious and be awesome either way!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by KingKC »

The "lemon" scene was just way too silly on what already was a pretty silly episode. The shocker to me was Icepick's attitude toward Rick and the loaning/payback of the money. I thought they were closer than that.

PickledEggPlease
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by PickledEggPlease »

Interesting that the sisters are named Tamiko, Umeko and Shakiko in the credits, but Rick clearly introduces Umeko as "Shazuay" (sp?). Well, interesting to me as I write the DV - I had to go back and change all my descriptions - "Umeko hits him with a champagne bottle" etc. :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by K Hale »

Magnums Little Voice wrote:Not a bad one, but The Mac Character so so so gets on my nerves!!!
I mean Thomas, Rik and TC are all clever guys yet they keep getting had by MAC, I mean this is getting silly now!!!

Still some good bits in this episode, Love when Higgins talks Japanese!! Does anyone know what he said??? :?
I want to know this too. It bugs me the way they never give subtitles/translations when people aren't speaking English.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#56 Post by K Hale »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:A few observations:

1) There is no slavery in Japan
There is slavery everywhere, they just call it human trafficking now.
2) Higgins opens the shower door expecting to find Magnum but finds one of the Japanese girls instead. Is he that close to Magnum that he thinks nothing of opening the shower door when Magnum is inside?
That was weird and while a funny idea to embarrass Higgins, it should have been rewritten to make it a more believable situation. Perhaps you hear the water turn off and she steps out of the shower at the same moment Higgins opens the bathroom door. Different camera angle, of course. LOL
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by K Hale »

charybdis1966 wrote:I found certain aspects of this episode's storyline a bit uncomfortable, partly fake Macs mercenary manipulation of his so called friends but mainly the whole geisha/enslavement aspect.

While I appreciate the tone of the episode was light hearted I didn't like the "selling" of the 3 girls from one man to another yet I appreciate the values of the 1980's are different to that of the those some 30+ years later.
I don't know about FakeMac, but I don't think Rick for a moment believed he really "owned" the girls. As TC said, he merely had them in his care for now. The whole "I bought these ladies with the boat" thing was just to egg Higgins on.
There is a possibility that my ignorance of aspects of Japanese culture is making me read this all wrong, but I'm glad Higgins saw it as I did. Proof I have become an old git perhaps ! :lol:
I don't think it's anything to do with Japanese culture per se, but rather an underworld crime element in which human trafficking is not out of the question.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

HTWoodson
Ensign

#58 Post by HTWoodson »

IMO this was the worst episode of maybe the entire show. So cringy that I almost couldn't finish it.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#59 Post by brianw »

Pretty bad, among the worst. Did not hold my interest at all.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:I found certain aspects of this episode's storyline a bit uncomfortable, partly fake Macs mercenary manipulation of his so called friends but mainly the whole geisha/enslavement aspect.

While I appreciate the tone of the episode was light hearted I didn't like the "selling" of the 3 girls from one man to another yet I appreciate the values of the 1980's are different to that of the those some 30+ years later.
I don't know about FakeMac, but I don't think Rick for a moment believed he really "owned" the girls. As TC said, he merely had them in his care for now. The whole "I bought these ladies with the boat" thing was just to egg Higgins on.
There is a possibility that my ignorance of aspects of Japanese culture is making me read this all wrong, but I'm glad Higgins saw it as I did. Proof I have become an old git perhaps ! :lol:
I don't think it's anything to do with Japanese culture per se, but rather an underworld crime element in which human trafficking is not out of the question.
Hi KHale,
I think we might have to keep in mind the writers were probably all born in the 1930's and as we have noted there is a lot of homages and winking of an eye to old movies/plots through out the series. Their sensibilities were formed when they grew up by the culture of men who were probably born at the turn of the century!
So, for instance, it was perfectly acceptable to have in separate episodes of Bonanza for Little Joe and Hoss to comically acquire Chinese slave girls, in Hoss's case Marlo Thomas. In B movies and cheap serials of the 1940's that was a theme, so maybe without thinking the writers - who are probably now in their 80's - recycled a plot line that for them had no implications of human trafficking as we understand it today.
Cultural values from the early 20th century seem so far away but they really aren't so a echo of them isn't that odd. The Napoleonic Era seems far off but my grandmother
when a young girl would listen to a ancient woman in her village tell stories of when Napoleon's troops marched thru their town when she was a wee girl. Okay I'm off on a tangent now, starting to sound like Higgy Baby.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.17 The Love-For-Sale Boat

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 3
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/567936325

The thought that ran through my mind when I started up this episode was, “Ah, the good old days, when human trafficking was still funny.”

I’m tired of fake-Mac’s shtick. Probably the biggest mistake of the series was killing off the real Mack, and then doubling down by creating this terrible character just to bring Jeff MacKay back. I mean, MacKay was good, but not that good.

Those girls on the boat would have been seriously cut up – they break bottles over the skinny enforcer’s head and then walk on and roll around in the broken glass shards. I know, I know…suspension of disbelief. But sometimes it’s hard.

I have to quibble with the second flub listed in the episode guide. Everyone, even the geisha girls, has changed clothes in that scene, and the light is noticeably different (although that may be coincidence, as they don’t always seem to worry about whether the light during filming matches when the scene is supposed to be taking place). I think the raffle ticket scene was occurring in the morning and the scene where fake-Mac cons Rick occurs in the late afternoon or evening (they are sipping cocktails, after all, it must be after 5) and Rick has obviously been home and changed clothes.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by Treadwell »

None of the main characters were accepting human trafficking nor taking it lightly. They were all quite clear in their disapproval, and Higgins was "deprogramming" them after all.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

Re: Re:

#63 Post by Spagnum »

K Hale wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 pm
Magnums Little Voice wrote:Not a bad one, but The Mac Character so so so gets on my nerves!!!
I mean Thomas, Rik and TC are all clever guys yet they keep getting had by MAC, I mean this is getting silly now!!!

Still some good bits in this episode, Love when Higgins talks Japanese!! Does anyone know what he said??? :?
I want to know this too. It bugs me the way they never give subtitles/translations when people aren't speaking English.
As my first post here, I'll take this one!

An English translation of what Higgins says would be: Sakiko, please forgive me. Think of yourselves as our guests here; furthermore, enjoy your time as my students. (Since he's going to school them in personal freedom.)

In Japanese, it would look like: サキ子さん、お許しください。あなたたちをここのお客様になって、そして、学生として大変楽しんでいただきます。

And in Romanized Japanese, would be: Sakiko-san, oyurushi kudasai. Anatatachi wo koko no okyakusama ni natte, soshite, gakusei to shite taihen tanoshinde itadakimasu.

As for the correctness (since they obviously had some sort of consultant write this for them), it's basically correct, but Japanese has different levels of speech depending on who is speaking and who is being spoken to, and a few of the words use the casual form when the polite form would be more appropriate. As for John Hillerman's pronunciation and delivery, it's very, very good! Probably one of, if not, the best examples of an actor speaking Japanese I've ever seen. Definitely the longest passage I've ever seen one recite. One or two of his pauses between words is a little unnatural, but otherwise great! I wonder how much coaching he needed, or whether he had had any prior experience with Japanese.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

#64 Post by Spagnum »

PickledEggPlease wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 pm Interesting that the sisters are named Tamiko, Umeko and Shakiko in the credits, but Rick clearly introduces Umeko as "Shazuay" (sp?). Well, interesting to me as I write the DV - I had to go back and change all my descriptions - "Umeko hits him with a champagne bottle" etc. :)
Yes, he introduced Umeko as "Shizue" (she-zu-ay).

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Spagnum wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:42 pm
K Hale wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 pm

As my first post here, I'll take this one!

An English translation of what Higgins says would be: Sakiko, please forgive me. Think of yourselves as our guests here; furthermore, enjoy your time as my students. (Since he's going to school them in personal freedom.)

In Japanese, it would look like: サキ子さん、お許しください。あなたたちをここのお客様になって、そして、学生として大変楽しんでいただきます。

And in Romanized Japanese, would be: Sakiko-san, oyurushi kudasai. Anatatachi wo koko no okyakusama ni natte, soshite, gakusei to shite taihen tanoshinde itadakimasu.

As for the correctness (since they obviously had some sort of consultant write this for them), it's basically correct, but Japanese has different levels of speech depending on who is speaking and who is being spoken to, and a few of the words use the casual form when the polite form would be more appropriate. As for John Hillerman's pronunciation and delivery, it's very, very good! Probably one of, if not, the best examples of an actor speaking Japanese I've ever seen. Definitely the longest passage I've ever seen one recite. One or two of his pauses between words is a little unnatural, but otherwise great! I wonder how much coaching he needed, or whether he had had any prior experience with Japanese.
Interesting stuff, Spagnum.
I have a question for you, have you ever noticed that a character speaking Japanese on a TV series or a movie
is actually sneaking in some off color remarks, or saying something that has nothing to do with the scene?
For instance when I was a kid my buddy's Yiddish speaking father would relate how Louie in the Bowery Boys movies would slip in some very blue Yiddish slang words.
And there are Westerns where local Indians on location shoots were hired to speak in their native tongue to the cowboy hero and are actually commenting on
the stock market or telling the hero to get stuffed.

Welcome to Magnum Mania Spagnum.
If I may ask, what does "spagnum" mean, isn't that some kind of moss?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Jack Irish" (much heralded Australian murder/mystery series on ACORN network) -

Old school copper Barry Tregear(Shane Jacobson), relates to his mate Jack Irish the horrors of being clinically dead for 3 minutes:
"I've seen the other side, Jack.
Shit house. The beer's light.
Got no sport.
Got to wear white. Everyone's happy.
It's a ...it's a bloody nightmare."