5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 84

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#41 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

A few observations:

1) There is no slavery in Japan

2) Higgins opens the shower door expecting to find Magnum but finds one of the Japanese girls instead. Is he that close to Magnum that he thinks nothing of opening the shower door when Magnum is inside?

3) All airports in California seem to look remarkably similar.

4) Is is so expensive to shoot in an actual airport terminal? They did it several times during the run of the show...

5) When the Yakuza henchmen are on Mac's boat and Magnum tries to hide, he's dropping lemons like they were free. Hardly the best way to go unnoticed. Are those lemons suddenly so important to him that he can't put them down or was he actually planning in advanced to use them in lieu of his gun?

Pretty enjoyable silly episode though whith one memorable quote:

"Mac": 'What kind of sleaze do you think I am?'
Magnum: 'Is this multiple choice?

Not to mention 'Bye, Mr. Wong!'

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Kevster »

So nobody has yet identified the pistol that Rick pulls out after getting ruoughed up in his office? Is it the same Detonics .45 Combat Master from All for One 1 & 2?
Trust Me!!!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaximRecoil »

Kevster wrote:So nobody has yet identified the pistol that Rick pulls out after getting ruoughed up in his office? Is it the same Detonics .45 Combat Master from All for One 1 & 2?
Yes, and in at least one other episode as well.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17)

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

Any Magnum episode with the lovely Marilyn Tokuda is worthy, just from her presence. And, her two equally lovely sisters, Jeanne Kanai and Masayo Ha, totally enhance the viewing pleasure.

As has been said, it's a very silly, unrealistic show, but a fun one.... especially after following "All For One", which was really heavy and serious.

Like so many others, I don't see how Magnum and Rick can keep letting themselves be deceived by Mac. Well, Rick, maybe because he seems to be pretty naive and easily conned. But, Magnum with his type of job would never really fall for all the lies that Mac throws out there. I rather like the Mac character, though.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#45 Post by Doc Ibold »

Doc Fred wrote:Any Magnum episode with the lovely Marilyn Tokuda is worthy, just from her presence. And, her two equally lovely sisters, Jeanne Kanai and Masayo Ha, totally enhance the viewing pleasure.

As has been said, it's a very silly, unrealistic show, but a fun one.... especially after following "All For One", which was really heavy and serious.

Like so many others, I don't see how Magnum and Rick can keep letting themselves be deceived by Mac. Well, Rick, maybe because he seems to be pretty naive and easily conned. But, Magnum with his type of job would never really fall for all the lies that Mac throws out there. I rather like the Mac character, though.
I think Magnum gives him some slack because "Mac" has helped him out before, in a twisted sort of way. Rick, for being able to spot a con a mile away is a bit of a different story, strictly because his character is based upon street smarts.

It's a silly, cheesy episode, but it goes well in its placement after All For One to she you everything has its place in the Magnaverse

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by charybdis1966 »

I found certain aspects of this episode's storyline a bit uncomfortable, partly fake Macs mercenary manipulation of his so called friends but mainly the whole geisha/enslavement aspect.

While I appreciate the tone of the episode was light hearted I didn't like the "selling" of the 3 girls from one man to another yet I appreciate the values of the 1980's are different to that of the those some 30+ years later.

There is a possibility that my ignorance of aspects of Japanese culture is making me read this all wrong, but I'm glad Higgins saw it as I did. Proof I have become an old git perhaps ! :lol:

EZiller
Captain

#47 Post by EZiller »

Good silly episode. The 3 oriental ladies are delightful, especially in the bikini scenes at the end. Higgins has some funny scenes with them. The rental cars bits with TSM are good.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#48 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I like the comedy episodes usually, but I did not like this one at all. There's lots of gripes to this one. Mac had JUST scammed the club and Rick, personally, out of $3,000 worth of meals yet Rick jumps at the chance to do buisness with him. Rick planned to ask Robin Masters pay off a member of organised crime so that other members of organised crime will be dealt with easier. Rick knows enough inside information on little league exhibition games to be able to make informed bets, but he didn't know that ten goals in soccer was an astrinomical amount? Despite being told repeatedly that the man in her house was not Danny the aerobics instructor she was still wanting him to work on her legs. The girls would start serving anyone if they mentioned they were their new master. Zeus and Appollo had the ability to get into the study and untie Higgins and yet Higgins didn't think to have them do it until he needed them to answer the telephone. The lads had the ability to get into the room and were supposed to be security, but seemingly just stayed near the beach playing with the girls while Yakuza were invading the house. One of the guys that roughed up Rick, whom was in the military and once went after his sister's killers alone, was taken out by three girls that maybe weighed 95 lbs each with ease while Magnum took out the much larger guy with a bowl of lemons and a chair. The guys didn't turn Mac over to the authorities when he had, obviously, been running serious crimes against them. Higgins thought nothing of opening Magnum's shower door and exposing him to the Japaneese women he had just met.

Some of the positives of the episode include Magnum being one step behind Mac and having to keep renting a different car to get to the next town. The brilliant way that Mac had planted the ticket for the dinner for two courtesy of Rick knowing that he'd take them to the estate and Mac could get them back there. Rick having to face that Icepick wasn't going to help him out of the jam.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#49 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's best to not think about the plot holes too much and just enjoy the ride. ;)
SignGuyHPW wrote:One of the guys that roughed up Rick, whom was in the military and once went after his sister's killers alone, was taken out by three girls that maybe weighed 95 lbs each with ease while Magnum took out the much larger guy with a bowl of lemons and a chair.
That scene is a classic 80's TV brawl right there. On some level, you know you liked it. A bowl of lemons can be a very effective weapon in a fight. What would you do when faced with a barrage of lemons launched at your head from an ex-QB/Navy Seal? :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Lemon_Brawl.html
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#50 Post by SignGuyHPW »

J.J. Walters wrote:It's best to not think about the plot holes too much and just enjoy the ride. ;)
SignGuyHPW wrote:One of the guys that roughed up Rick, whom was in the military and once went after his sister's killers alone, was taken out by three girls that maybe weighed 95 lbs each with ease while Magnum took out the much larger guy with a bowl of lemons and a chair.
That scene is a classic 80's TV brawl right there. On some level, you know you liked it. A bowl of lemons can be a very effective weapon in a fight. What would you do when faced with a barrage of lemons launched at your head from an ex-QB/Navy Seal? :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Lemon_Brawl.html
I generally can just enjoy the ride, but I thought this one was actually damaging to the characters. I don't mind the comedy at all, but when it makes the characters look bad then I can't enjoy it as much. The brawl was a great comedic brawl, but was out of place considering the situation.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#51 Post by marlboro »

Steve wrote:I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the picture is a photograph of Larry Manetti's wife. I'm sorry I couldn't capture the following picture of Larry and his wife at the "Monte Walsh" premier I found on IMDB, but just click on the link and try to imagine her twenty years ago.....

http://us.imdb.com/media/rm3283589120/nm0542027
J.J. Walters wrote:Hmm, I don't know. I don't think it's her. Here is a screen cap of her from "Computer Date" (1982)...

I think the pic is Mrs. Manetti:

Similar forehead and jawline. Similar hair styles.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Milton Collins »

I think this episode is completely ridiculous and fun and gave it an 8.

- I am in the minority but I like fake Mac. He gives a good comedic element in his recurring role.

- Any episode focusing on Rick is awesome, he completely cracks me up with his crazy and usually unsuccessful business deals.

- Pretty hilarious that poor Magnum didn't get his fishing trips. Mr Wong? Ha ha ha died laughing when they kept calling TM that.

- The Lad's holding the phone for Higgins was the highlight for me, I LOVE those two and feel like they are vital to the show altogether.

- Would Icepick really treat Rick that harshly? I mean, breaking his legs when he's like a son to him? I get that he lent him a large sum of $ but I'm always a little surprised at this part given their long time relationship.

- The lead Japanese girl is very easy on the eyes :)

- The lemon scene is just awful but is so dang funny I can't help but laugh. And I love TC throwing Mack back in the drink at the end lol.

This is just a silly episode that I enjoy. More evidence of the fantastic range that Magnum PI showed, it could be silly and comical or deadly serious and be awesome either way!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by KingKC »

The "lemon" scene was just way too silly on what already was a pretty silly episode. The shocker to me was Icepick's attitude toward Rick and the loaning/payback of the money. I thought they were closer than that.

PickledEggPlease
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by PickledEggPlease »

Interesting that the sisters are named Tamiko, Umeko and Shakiko in the credits, but Rick clearly introduces Umeko as "Shazuay" (sp?). Well, interesting to me as I write the DV - I had to go back and change all my descriptions - "Umeko hits him with a champagne bottle" etc. :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by K Hale »

Magnums Little Voice wrote:Not a bad one, but The Mac Character so so so gets on my nerves!!!
I mean Thomas, Rik and TC are all clever guys yet they keep getting had by MAC, I mean this is getting silly now!!!

Still some good bits in this episode, Love when Higgins talks Japanese!! Does anyone know what he said??? :?
I want to know this too. It bugs me the way they never give subtitles/translations when people aren't speaking English.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!