6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 84

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:In Rick's office there is a picture of a lady that can be seen in several episodes....

I'm assuming it's supposed to be his deceased sister Wendy, but, it doesn't really look like her. Instead, it looks a lot like his future fling Jeannie from Season Six's "A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief"!

This is also odd, because at this point he hasn't met her yet! :?

Could it be somebody else?
I think it IS Wendy. It does look like her (just with teased hair)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the picture is a photograph of Larry Manetti's wife. I'm sorry I couldn't capture the following picture of Larry and his wife at the "Monte Walsh" premier I found on IMDB, but just click on the link and try to imagine her twenty years ago.....

http://us.imdb.com/media/rm3283589120/nm0542027

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

Looks like a good guess there!

We need to ask Rick Romer (if he decorated the set) or email Larry Manetti via his website and ask him if he remembers a picture of Nancy (isn't that his wife's name?) on a bookcase in that episode? Or a picture of Nancy used ever as a set decoration item?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hmm, I don't know. I don't think it's her. Here is a screen cap of her from "Computer Date" (1982)...

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I may be entirely off base here, but the screen cap you posted looks MORE like her in that framed picture -- to me! Sorry!

On another note, for the gun experts here, on the picture of Rick with the framed picture we're discussing on the bookshelf -- isn't his thumb WAY too high on that gun???? Looks like it would pinch the skin at the base of his thumb (or burn it) if he fired the gun holding it in that grip.

I know NOTHING about automatics, so I may be totally off the radar here, but that just looks at least awkward and at most just plain wrong -- to me.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by lutherhgillis »

Golf,

You are correct. He would get a bad scrape from the action of the semi-auto is he had fired it. I wonder if he held the gun this way entirely or if the screen capture took place while he was in the process of getting a good grip on the pistol?

BTW, the picture is not Valerie Cane from Thespian. The gap between the fron teeth is nowhere near large enough... :wink:

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

So Claudia in Computer Date is Larry Manetti's real wife????

Oh! My! God!

How do you guys KNOW all this stuff?????

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Sam »

Agatha..A lot of the information is contained in the episode guides.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... _Date.html

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#19 Post by Agatha »

Thanks, Sam! I'll get started on my homework right away!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#20 Post by Doc Ibold »

Ha Ha.....

Years of extensive knowledge, semi-obsessive behavior, and cutting off our pinkies all make us this powerful!

(Actually, its the very friendly forumites here who are more than pleased to share their knowledge to whomever asks!).

The best part is that even if the question has been asked numerous times before (I've given up SEARCHING for the threads), it will invariably end up taking us to a tangent that HASN'T been discussed before.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#21 Post by Agatha »

Too true, Doc...and also fun!!

PS - SEMI-obsessive behavior?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

Back to discussing this episode... I did not love this one. It seemed like all of the writers were hung over and they realized they needed to put in another script at the last minute. This one could have been written in just a few minutes...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Luther. Plus, you'd think that eventually Jim/Mac would go to jail for some of his transgressions. At least they didn't give us a metaphor and have Magnum make lemonade at the end.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

:lol: I love it...IKNOW...

Magnum making lemonade...! Priceless!

I thought having the lemons on hand was fitting for this episode since it was truely a lemon!

Maybe that was a way of the writers apologizing for putting out such a terrible story- show the lemons at the end... :wink:
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A new week, a new batch of reviews. This has to be one of the daftest entries of the entire series, but I have to say, I don’t completely dislike it.

[rating=8.5]

Mac (mk. II) has landed in trouble with the Japanese Yakuza, and to get the money he needs, he tricks Rick into buying a stolen sailboat, complete with three geishas – landing Rick in trouble with both the Yakuza, and Ice Pick. A very silly, but watchable ep…

-----

This review contains mild spoilers.

I know that a lot of people don’t like this episode. But, while it is far from being a favourite of mine, I personally can bear it – it is a very silly story, and doesn’t take itself at all seriously.

The episode is penned by J. Miyoko Hensley and Steven Hensley, their second of only two works on the show – the other being the third season episode ‘The Arrow that is Not Aimed’. The pair obviously have a love from all things Japanese, as both that episode and this one feature Japanese elements. (And yes, Miyoko does sound a Japanese name, which probably does have something to do with it).

It is good to see Mac, mark II, otherwise known as Jim Bonnick (amongst other names) to get a lot of screen time in this one. I love how the original Mac was always being conned himself, but this second incarnation of Mac instead spends his time conning everyone else!

One element I really like is Magnum, travelling from airport to airport trying to track down Mac – each airport is clearly the same set, just with a different poster on the wall, changing with each city visited. It is tongue-in-cheek things like this that made the series so fun. I haven’t a clue what all the lemons were about though!

The story is a fun one (although it doesn’t seem to completely make sense in places), and the climatic scene, with the brawl on the stolen sailboat, complete with Magnum lobbing lemons at a brute brandishing a meat cleaver, sums up how delightfully daft this instalment is.

In a way, this episode falls into the “so-bad-its-good” category, but as I say, I personally find it quite bearable. Although it is a long way from being one of the shows finest hours, I can personally think of far worse in the MPI barrel.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* I don’t think this is really a flub, but something that did stand out to me. When Rick first meets Mac in this story, Rick is wearing a red and white striped polo shirt. Then in the very next scene on the sailboat, Rick is suddenly in a same design shirt, but now the stripes are green and white. Mac has changed too, but I assumed he had clothes with him or on the boat. I assumed one scene followed on from the other, but maybe the second scene was actually supposed to take place a little later?

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the act breaks abridged.

* As I said with ‘All For One’, I can’t find my off-air recordings of when Five broadcast this episode in 2002 at the moment, so I can’t compare. But I’m pretty certain that the knife-cautious Five would have removed some of the shots of the meat cleaver.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!