2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 84

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Love-For-Sale Boat (5.17). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/14/1985
Jim "Mac" Bonnick is back, and he takes Rick for a ride by "selling" him a luxury boat and four beautiful geishas. But some angry yakuza businessmen and the boat's actual owners aren't exactly pleased with the deal.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I know many people despise this episode, but I rather fancy it myself. Jim "Mac" Bonnick gets major screen time. The three beautiful Japanese ladies. The amusing side story of Magnum and his attempts to go fishing. And of course, the legendary "Lemon Brawl" scene at the end! Magnum launches a Lemon Attack on a guy wielding a meat cleavor! LOL! That scene just kills me every time! A classic Magnum brawl if there ever was one.

I added a Flash video clip of the "Lemon Brawl" on the Video page: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Lemon_Brawl.html
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

I like this episode too. You gotta love the 3 women in bikinis. Not just supernumeraries in bikinis, but key players. My favorite scene is when the 3 bikini clad ladies are running on to the helicopter to escape from the bad guys. :wink:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

AJL
Commander

#4 Post by AJL »

I rated this one a 9, just fun and exciting from beginning to the end. Sure the story didn't completely make sense, you could argue it was very prejudice against japanese, etc., but in the end, I was entertainet form start to finish.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

Not a bad one, but The Mac Character so so so gets on my nerves!!!
I mean Thomas, Rik and TC are all clever guys yet they keep getting had by MAC, I mean this is getting silly now!!!

Still some good bits in this episode, Love when Higgins talks Japanese!! Does anyone know what he said??? :?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

In Rick's office there is a picture of a lady that can be seen in several episodes....

I'm assuming it's supposed to be his deceased sister Wendy, but, it doesn't really look like her. Instead, it looks a lot like his future fling Jeannie from Season Six's "A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief"!

This is also odd, because at this point he hasn't met her yet! :?

Could it be somebody else?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

James...She looks like Ms. Kane,from "The Case of the Red Faced Thespian"

http://magnum-mania.com/images/4_12_d_full.jpg

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

I can tell you unequivocally that is NOT Collen Camp. ;)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

I still think it's a pic of Ms.Kane but I would need to see her legs to be sure. :lol:

Carmen
MPI

#10 Post by Carmen »

Men :!: Ts ts ts ts ts ...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:In Rick's office there is a picture of a lady that can be seen in several episodes....

I'm assuming it's supposed to be his deceased sister Wendy, but, it doesn't really look like her. Instead, it looks a lot like his future fling Jeannie from Season Six's "A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief"!

This is also odd, because at this point he hasn't met her yet! :?

Could it be somebody else?
I think it IS Wendy. It does look like her (just with teased hair)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the picture is a photograph of Larry Manetti's wife. I'm sorry I couldn't capture the following picture of Larry and his wife at the "Monte Walsh" premier I found on IMDB, but just click on the link and try to imagine her twenty years ago.....

http://us.imdb.com/media/rm3283589120/nm0542027

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

Looks like a good guess there!

We need to ask Rick Romer (if he decorated the set) or email Larry Manetti via his website and ask him if he remembers a picture of Nancy (isn't that his wife's name?) on a bookcase in that episode? Or a picture of Nancy used ever as a set decoration item?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hmm, I don't know. I don't think it's her. Here is a screen cap of her from "Computer Date" (1982)...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I may be entirely off base here, but the screen cap you posted looks MORE like her in that framed picture -- to me! Sorry!

On another note, for the gun experts here, on the picture of Rick with the framed picture we're discussing on the bookshelf -- isn't his thumb WAY too high on that gun???? Looks like it would pinch the skin at the base of his thumb (or burn it) if he fired the gun holding it in that grip.

I know NOTHING about automatics, so I may be totally off the radar here, but that just looks at least awkward and at most just plain wrong -- to me.

golf
"Portside, buddy."