7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Let Me Hear the Music (5.18)

#41 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Wasn't a fan of this one at all. It just didn't make much sense to me at all. Why would the band have let Jessup fly the plane when he was so heavily intoxicated and admitting that he'd probably crash? It seemed WAY too convienient that the girl from 30 years earlier just happened to not only still be on the islands, but have the missing songs that the two sides were searching for at the same time. The fight scene was probably the worst of any on Magnum, p.i. It didn't seem likely that Higgins was a huge fan of, what sounded like, bluegrass music. How would an Englishman that was in remote outposts in the 50s have become a fan of an American bluegrass singer to the point he'd know the value of undiscovered songs he'd written? Why was Lacy so hardcore about people revering Jessup despite it being widely known that he had lots of issues that contradicted that image? Why did Magnum return the retainer if he'd already performed the work he was hired to perform?

I did like the scene where Higgins was astondished that someone would pick up a valuable violin and start playing it like that. That seemed very in character with him. I also thought it was funny that Higgins just happened to be conducting an orchestra at the same exact time Magnum gets hired by a well known musician to solve a case.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#42 Post by Dave Anderson »

I enjoyed this episode and continue to enjoy it on subsequent viewings. Its important to remember how big the country music fad was in the 1980s to understand it in context. That it would even spread to Hawaii made sense. I don't really see the downsides to the episode that others have expressed here, its not the best episode but its definitely a very good, solid Magnum episode.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#43 Post by Dave Anderson »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I just watched this one again last night on Encore and have to admit I haven’t seen this one in a while. There are a few episodes I typically skip and this is one of them. Anyway, I just read through everyone’s comments for this episode and I didn’t see this mentioned so maybe I’m nuts, but I got the feeling that Lacy was in love with George.

If you’re still with me, I think the writers establish this in the first scene with the adoring way Lacy looks at George when performing in ’54 (although the screen cap below doesn’t quite capture it like watching it does.) Then there are the emotions/actions/comments they have Lacy exhibit for George that to me seem beyond a friendship from 30+ years ago. Finally, and perhaps the most telling for me, the original title for this episode was “Secret Rainbows.” I can’t think of what else that title could have meant…or am I missing something and I’m completely embarrassing myself here?!

Anyone else think that? Next time you watch this episode, keep that idea in mind. Curious if anyone else sees the possibility.
I'm sure he was "in love" with George but not in a sexual sense.

The idea that men can and do have admiration and even affection for other men, as friends, without any homosexual or sexual aspect is sadly being obscured nowadays due to the fact we hear so much about homosexuality. Its perfectly normal for men to have admiration and affection, brotherhood maybe is a better term, for their best friend or other male buddy.

As for the rainbow aspect, this was in the mid-80s, rainbows had NO association with homosexuality or gay politics. This did not start until at least the 90s (and probably the late 90s). Rainbows were of course associated with Hawaii. They had nothing to do with sex or sexual politics during the 80s.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by Milton Collins »

MaiTaiMan wrote:As I've stated before in other posts, I don't really care for cowboy/hick/western/hillbilly type or style shows/movies. So, this is not one of my favorites. :? Some "Cowboy-Bob" running around looking for some goof-ball songs (that he actually wrote) so he could claim the loser singer guy supposedly wrote them.

I don't know...the plot just seemed silly, hillbilly, and goof-ball. :roll: I rated this "Not So Good"...because (in my opinion) it wasn't. :wink:

You must have read my mind MTM, I thought this episode was flat out boring! I rated it not so good as well. It wasnt completely annoying or anything (like Kiss of the Sabre, or By It's Cover, two of my least favorite episodes) but it just didn't keep me interested at all. The only positive thing I can say was seeing Higgins and Lacey singing country music was hilarious!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KingKC »

No, this was not the strongest plot or role for Dennis Weaver. But Weaver did a good job and made the show memorable in a feel-good way. Maybe country-western singers had more loyalty to the past in the eighties than they seem to have now. The early eighties, IMO, was the last good era for CW music so this episode just barely made it in if they were trying to play off of the times. Heck, CW hasn't been worth a darn since George Jones sang "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Is it just me or do the opening credits to this episode have louder drums? I watched the opening to the previous episode for comparison. I know sometimes the opening theme would be altered slightly for only an episode, but this instance isn't mentioned on the episode page. :?:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#47 Post by marlboro »

Yeah, the drums are pretty loud in the mix. At least compared to the dvd menu music and the opening credits of "All for One" part 1. "Compulsion" also seems to have louder drums.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Dave Anderson wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I just watched this one again last night on Encore and have to admit I haven’t seen this one in a while. There are a few episodes I typically skip and this is one of them. Anyway, I just read through everyone’s comments for this episode and I didn’t see this mentioned so maybe I’m nuts, but I got the feeling that Lacy was in love with George.

If you’re still with me, I think the writers establish this in the first scene with the adoring way Lacy looks at George when performing in ’54 (although the screen cap below doesn’t quite capture it like watching it does.) Then there are the emotions/actions/comments they have Lacy exhibit for George that to me seem beyond a friendship from 30+ years ago. Finally, and perhaps the most telling for me, the original title for this episode was “Secret Rainbows.” I can’t think of what else that title could have meant…or am I missing something and I’m completely embarrassing myself here?!

Anyone else think that? Next time you watch this episode, keep that idea in mind. Curious if anyone else sees the possibility.
I'm sure he was "in love" with George but not in a sexual sense.

The idea that men can and do have admiration and even affection for other men, as friends, without any homosexual or sexual aspect is sadly being obscured nowadays due to the fact we hear so much about homosexuality. Its perfectly normal for men to have admiration and affection, brotherhood maybe is a better term, for their best friend or other male buddy.

As for the rainbow aspect, this was in the mid-80s, rainbows had NO association with homosexuality or gay politics. This did not start until at least the 90s (and probably the late 90s). Rainbows were of course associated with Hawaii. They had nothing to do with sex or sexual politics during the 80s.
Oops, I'm only just now reading the reply above from 2104...

Of course men have admiration and affection for one another without it being sexual, as do women. My point was that I saw something different in the writers' story. I'm not "obscuring" anything... this is my point of view.

I also need to point out that the rainbow flag has been around since 1978 and indeed had a major association with homosexuality and the social movement when this episode was written... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by K Hale »

My hope is that someday, western society can just accept that men have normal human emotions without there being a sexual element to everything. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I almost feel like the term brotherhood was co-opted to describe this exact thing because we as a society aren't comfortable with it.

Wouldn't you say Magnum and Higgins, for example, love one another? It seems quite obvious to me, even though there is no romantic aspect to it.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#50 Post by brianw »

Pretty boring to me, sorry. Not much here to hold my interest.

Nifty911
Captain

#51 Post by Nifty911 »

This goes down as one of the few episodes I couldn't follow. I watched it a few months ago and even after seeing it maybe a half dozen times I still couldn't follow it.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by nha trang »

I rewatched this one today and thought it was a stinker, unlike on my first viewing. The best thing about the episode is the banyan tree...I guess my taste has changed over the years!

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.18 Let Me Hear The Music

Famous guest stars: 1 Dennis Weaver
Image Image
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations: .5 Oahu String Quartet – only a half point since it lacks the usual “Anglo Hawaiian” moniker
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/568234073

That is a truly horrific color combination Higgins is sporting. Surely the budget could have allowed for matching tops and bottoms?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this today and can only echo those who said Dennis Weaver plays a very likeable character.
I am so done with hillbilly stereotypes that Hollywood bombard us with nowadays “Oooh, look at the unsophisticated, rustic bumpkins ! What a bunch of rubes” and it was a pleasant change not to have to put up with this offensive portrayal of mid west and southern people.
I have no knowledge of country and western music (I like either heavy metal or 19th century symphonies) and should in theory have no interest in this kind of story but something about the humanity of Weaver’s portrayal spoke to me and kept me interested.

Canman
Ensign

#55 Post by Canman »

Watching this episode right now. Dennis Weaver is a great guest star in this episode. For some reason, the song Let Me Hear The Music at the end gets to me 🎶😢