6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

hehe, that's one of things I like about this stuff - following up on "clues" which eventually lead me to the right place. It's pretty fun actually, when it works.

Yeah, I think if you watch the scenes - and there's actually two in the show - where they're at the tree, you'll see that the top right photo is correct, as well as can be concluded with current aerial photos (not from the time of the show). But it does appear that the building has been renovated so that the two roof levels have combined into one, or that it's a new building entirely. Feel free to watch and give your opinion though.

It would be easier in person to point out things. It's hard to note everything in a picture. Having the dvd to watch while viewing different things in google earth is the best way to demonstrate and would be much more clear.

I also tried looking for photos of the campus, which according the map of the Windward Community College doesn't include the exact area where the tree is, but is just across the small street. It seems like the "changed or new building" would be connected in some way to the college, but the map oddly doesn't show that as being the case.

The circles didn't work for me either, but I didn't notice before all the arrow links which go to pictures of the campus, thanks for linking that. There is this picture below that shows the tree on the other side of the "changed or new" building (the tree which in my collage photo is just above the "changed" word). It's the one in the distance just to the left of the minivan. That one looks a little bit too small to be our tree, which works with my theory. Unfortunately the one I'm thinking is the right tree would be just behind the building and to the right just a tad.

(link to this picture's page)

Sorry if all this is confusing to anyone, it's hard to write all this out in a coherent manor. It would be so easy in person.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

It's becoming clearer...

>>>It seems like the "changed or new building" would be connected in some way to the college, but the map oddly doesn't show that as being the case. <<<

In doing the research yesterday I found out that prior to 1972,the college was a State Hospital.If you look at your link of the college,just to the west is a state hospital.So I'm wondering if that building is part of the hospital and that is why it isn't included in the campus photos..

I know what you're thinking....I did a Google image search but to no avail.Maybe you can come up with a pic.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, just a great job of tracking that down rubber chicken! First class sleuth work! :)

You know, it's funny you mentioned a hospital with regards to the "Banyan Tree" property Sam. In the first scene with Lacy and Magnum at the tree, an "establishing shot" is used which shows the Ferrari parked and a sign that says "Pearl Harbor Hospital". Heh.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

I tried to post the picture of me in front of the banyan tree, but it didn't work! :( Must be doing something wrong...

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

I think someone will just have to go to Hawaii to make the final conformation. Any volunteers? :)

SelleckLover - what's the problem you're having?

Here's an easy way of posting an image:

1. If you don't already have the image online, go to imageshack and push the "choose file" button, select the image from your computer, and then choose "host it!"

2. You'll then get a page at imageshack with a number of html address's. Copy the address (near the bottom) to the left of "Direct link to image"

3. Back in this Magnum P.I. forum press the "Img" box when making your post here and you'll get this - [img]

4. Paste the address that you copied from imageshack directly after [img]

5. Then press the "Img" box again and you'll end up with this - [img]image[/img] - with the image being address of the image.

SelleckLover

#16 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks rc....It looks like I was leaving out steps 3. 4 and 5! I'm so NOT computer savvy...don't know how I even make to the magnum-mania website half the time! LOL :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Looking for another location ID (paging rubber chicken).

It looks similiar to the setting used in "The Treasure of Kalanoipu'u", as seen here.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#18 Post by rubber chicken »

I've been meaning to look for this location. You're right that they're both the same place. The location (seen here) is called McCoy Pavilion, 1201 Ala Moana Blvd., and it's part of Ala Moana Park (or Ala Moana Beach Park / Ala Moana Regional Park). (2).

Here's a few articles with a picture each:
Honolulu Magizine
Honolulu Star Bulletin

It seems to often be used as a music venue. Here's a few more links concerning different uses:
book awards ceremony
Puerto Rican Cultural & Salsa Festival
Greek Festival photo (with the same large building in background as seen in Magnum P.I., as well as one built since the show) (2, 3, 4)

The large building seen in the background is here. It's a condo building, address of 1350 Ala Moana Blvd.

p.s. - I couldn't help but laugh at your second screenshot. Why they didn't have more story-lines concerning Magnum's narcolepsy, I'll never know.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

And there it is! Thanks RC! :)

What a beautiful setting that is for concerts & festivals, especially with the pond right in front of the stage.

Ala Moana Beach Park is already on my list of places to go whenever I get back to Oahu. I'll be sure to pop in to McCoy Pavilion while I'm there. I can just see it now, "And honey look, over there is where Magnum was beat up in "Let Me Hear the Music"!" ;)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Sam »

As usual RC,good job on finding the location.

p.s. - I couldn't help but laugh at your second screenshot. Why they didn't have more story-lines concerning Magnum's narcolepsy, I'll never know.

I too am surprised but to their credit they didn't try and hide it.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/2_7_a_full.jpg

http://magnum-mania.com/images/7_4_c_full.jpg

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#21 Post by rubber chicken »

lol Sam, too funny! :D

Even after 20+ years, we're still discovering new aspects of the show. That's what I call depth!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:p.s. - I couldn't help but laugh at your second screenshot. Why they didn't have more story-lines concerning Magnum's narcolepsy, I'll never know.

I too am surprised but to their credit they didn't try and hide it.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/2_7_a_full.jpg

http://magnum-mania.com/images/7_4_c_full.jpg
LOL Sam!

:lol:

dick butkus
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by dick butkus »

A fine episode. Touching in many ways. Excellent play by that cowboy, whatever his name is. I enjoyed it a lot. A somewhat unusual episode on Magnum, p.i. Surprises like this is what makes the series so extraordinary.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

I hope I'm not repeating anyone but here goes... Dennis Weaver is an accomplished musician in real life. He did a great job in this part.

This story line is alot like the Hank Williams story...

I was a huge McCloud fan as a kid. It was good to see Dennis teach Magnum the old school way!

Red West aka Elvis' old body guard. What an imposing dude!

SelleckLover

#25 Post by SelleckLover »

I liked Dennis Weaver in McCloud also. I liked the way he kind of always played a kind of intelligent country hick-type character. (My husband jokes that he always played a "Hillbilly-Physicist" or "Hillbilly-Rocket Scientist" character.)LOL :lol: