7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#21 Post by rubber chicken »

lol Sam, too funny! :D

Even after 20+ years, we're still discovering new aspects of the show. That's what I call depth!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:p.s. - I couldn't help but laugh at your second screenshot. Why they didn't have more story-lines concerning Magnum's narcolepsy, I'll never know.

I too am surprised but to their credit they didn't try and hide it.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/2_7_a_full.jpg

http://magnum-mania.com/images/7_4_c_full.jpg
LOL Sam!

:lol:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

dick butkus
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by dick butkus »

A fine episode. Touching in many ways. Excellent play by that cowboy, whatever his name is. I enjoyed it a lot. A somewhat unusual episode on Magnum, p.i. Surprises like this is what makes the series so extraordinary.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

I hope I'm not repeating anyone but here goes... Dennis Weaver is an accomplished musician in real life. He did a great job in this part.

This story line is alot like the Hank Williams story...

I was a huge McCloud fan as a kid. It was good to see Dennis teach Magnum the old school way!

Red West aka Elvis' old body guard. What an imposing dude!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#25 Post by SelleckLover »

I liked Dennis Weaver in McCloud also. I liked the way he kind of always played a kind of intelligent country hick-type character. (My husband jokes that he always played a "Hillbilly-Physicist" or "Hillbilly-Rocket Scientist" character.)LOL :lol:

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I'm a long way off from re-watching / reviewing this ep, but just thought I'd note that, after the original working title of 'Secret Rainbows', the story became 'I Just Want To Hold You' for a while.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by lutherhgillis »

SL,

You got something against hillbillies, you left coast neocommie...? :lol:

Why do you think hillbilly physicist is a dichotomy? Hillbillies can cypher with the best of 'em... And, by the way, there are nearly as many places of higher learnin' in the hills as there are on the extreme-leftist coast... higher by way of elevation that is... :lol:

Go ahead, make fun of the hill folk who cling to their guns and Bibles... They'll laugh in the end... :lol:

Having fun at your expense.

Drop a flower on the corner of Haight-Ashbury for me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll stop now.

This is a J-O-K-E . Please do not be offended.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I *want* to like this episode, and Dennis Weaver is a terrific guest star, but I find the plot just so darn boring.

[rating=6.0]

Thomas is hired by a talented musician to track down five unpublished songs penned by legendary country star George Lee Jessop shortly before he was killed. But the woman that the songs were written for denies ever knowing him. Great guest star, dull plot

-----

‘Let Me Hear the Music’ (original working title: ‘Secret Rainbows’, later ‘I Want To Hold You’) is an episode that part of me really wants to like, but I just can’t warm to it due to such a dull and unengaging plot.

Dennis Weaver, playing musician Lacy Fletcher, is a great guest star, and for this alone I want to like the episode. Weaver is immensely likable, and it is such a shame that he didn’t get a stronger story to appear in. He also plays the guitar and fiddle in this episode, as well as writing two of the three songs featured.

The story begins with a flashback to the 1950s, with George Lee Jessop and Lacy Fletcher performing on the evening shortly before George was killed in an aeroplane crash. In this sequence, Lacy (Weaver) is played by Weaver’s son Rusty Weaver, and the young George by another son, Robby (the same device of using actors’ offspring to play younger versions of themselves was previously used in the enjoyable first season episode ‘Lest We Forget’). Also to note for trivia fans, is that yet another of Weaver’s sons, Rick Weaver, was a producer for the series through most of its run.

Anyway, as I say, I find the plot itself to be extremely weak. I just couldn’t warm to what was going on, and my attention wandered from the plot at some points.
The fight at the peak of episode, between Weaver and Desmond Crane, is very unconvincing, and doesn’t work at all.

The only thing I do like about this episode is Lacy’s unending loyalty to his old deceased friend George, which is handled in the final scene very well. If only the rest of the story had more of this warmth, maybe I would have liked it a bit more.

For me, this episode sums up how many feel the series changed its tone somewhat in the fifth season, lacking its well-written and well-balanced qualities of earlier seasons, instead going for more out-and-out, take-it-or-leave it dramas such as this.

All-in-all… this one of my least favourite episodes, I’m afraid. There are others that are more ridiculous, but this one loses a lot of marks for just being so darn boring. Dennis Weaver is the best thing about him and, as I say above, its such a shame that he didn’t get a stronger story to showcase his talents in.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Nothing more to add on this one, other than, once again, on the DVD version, the act breaks are abridged (i.e. there is no gap in-between scenes)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Coops »

Wow...is it me or did Rusty Weaver (Lacy, '54) look just like a young Steve Carell? I was absolutely convinced of it unitl I say the listing for Rusty Weaver in IMDB. That really freaked me out!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:Wow...is it me or did Rusty Weaver (Lacy, '54) look just like a young Steve Carell? I was absolutely convinced of it unitl I say the listing for Rusty Weaver in IMDB. That really freaked me out!
Didn't notice it while watching recently. Maybe I'll have to take another look.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Coops wrote:Wow...is it me or did Rusty Weaver (Lacy, '54) look just like a young Steve Carell? I was absolutely convinced of it unitl I say the listing for Rusty Weaver in IMDB. That really freaked me out!
Ha! He does look like a young Steve Carell! :lol:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Great episode

#32 Post by nha trang »

The writing for this episode was top notch, in my opinion, this was a very well written story, with plenty of sentimentality though not overly so, I question how appropriate of a story it was for Magnum PI, but to the credit of the script, I think the story could have been pulled off with any number of prime time TV shows. Well done, though not a particular "Magnum-esque" favorite of mine, on the first viewing at least.

burny
Commander

#33 Post by burny »

I really enjoyed this episode - there are lots of good "character" moments in
this epi. MPI was cool as it took time to 'endear' the characters to the viewers.
Like Hig singing with Lacey in the study, the funny banter before/during the
barfight....all character driven stuff. Living in Nashville and being in the music
biz and being a collector of obscure songs, made the story kinda cool to me. 8)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

As I've stated before in other posts, I don't really care for cowboy/hick/western/hillbilly type or style shows/movies. So, this is not one of my favorites. :? Some "Cowboy-Bob" running around looking for some goof-ball songs (that he actually wrote) so he could claim the loser singer guy supposedly wrote them.

I don't know...the plot just seemed silly, hillbilly, and goof-ball. :roll: I rated this "Not So Good"...because (in my opinion) it wasn't. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#35 Post by miltontheripper »

I liked this episode more than I remembered from previous viewings. I recognized the red headed young cowboy (now much older) as the same actor from season two's "all roads lead to floyd." I thought this was a good episode with an interesting plot. Higgins singing country music with Lacey was great!