No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 71

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Ms. Jones (5.19)

#21 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that it was a pretty solid episode. It gave an occassional guest actress the chance to do something bigger. It had a pretty funny B plot with Magnum trying to avoid TC after accidently destroying his binocculars.

The one thing I didn't really care for in the episode was Magnum never really seemed to take the case too seriously. I know they were going more for a comedy episode, but when you factor in the actual reasoning behind the case and that it, obviously, involved the government in some form I'd expect Magnum to have been a bit more serious about it.

I thought it was a unique enviorment to have Buck Greene. It wasn't involving Michelle or top level Navy officials. He was simply after a civillian that had developed a program the military may want to use. Obviously, if they had used Maggie Poole then Magnum would've known what was happening much faster. I didn't really understand the technical computer terms they were using, but I'm sure it made sense to a lot of the people into computer programming at the time. Higgins being overly excited about the chance to learn rare, but devestating chess moves was classic Higgins. Great touch to the episode.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Milton Collins »

I like this episode, an 8.0 for me. I think Ms. Jones was funny and a solid character even throughout some of her annoying personality traits. Even though she had some bit parts earlier in the series this was the only episode she had a substantial appearance in and I wouldn't have minded seeing her back for more appearances later on.

This episode included a somewhat strange appearance for Col. Buck Greene though, he's usually in the more serious military episodes. But of course Ray was dealing with some extremely sensitive information with his "artifical intelligence" and I could see where that could draw the attention of Naval intelligence like Buck.

That strip club scene ending with TM getting thrown out on his ear was absolutely hilarious! Not to mention the chess connection that "Maddy" had with Higgins and the way her impressive knowledge of complex moves totally drew him to her. I loved that part where he hypnotizes her and "abuses" the situation by making her show him the Rodmanavich?? (just a total guess, not an easy one to spell regardless lol!) move.

Overall not one of the more memorable episodes but a light, comedic episode with likable Ms. Jones and Ray that made for a fun watch!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Dave Anderson »

Milton Collins wrote:That strip club scene ending with TM getting thrown out on his ear was absolutely hilarious!...
I remember there actually were quite a few male strip clubs in the 80s (for women, not gays). The portrayal in the episode seemed pretty hokey though, I tend to doubt that's really what they were like, in the same way that TV of the time often portrayed female strip clubs kind of silly with the men usually clapping loudly and swaying in time to the music. And it seemed more of a mixed club or something with dancers of both sexes. Anyway, its interesting that the whole male stripper fad seemed to get really big for a few years and then mostly disappear.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

A perfectly delightful episode using a humorous character (well played by Margie Impert) that kind of stuck in your mind from previous episodes. I would have liked her character to have come back again and surprised me as to whether she would have treated TM better or not.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

The chess connection between her and Higgins led to a rather poignant moment that I think has been overlooked.

MS. JONES: Most people don't find me very interesting. Ever since I can remember I was always considered aloof and strange. A know-it-all. I've always felt unliked, and, uh...
HIGGINS: Alone?
MS. JONES: How did you know?
HIGGINS: [smiles]

My heart... :cry:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ccw6982
Ensign

#26 Post by ccw6982 »

No mention of Little Allison?! Good Lord! She has to be the most incredibly attractive female on all of 80's TV! Does anyone have any info on the actress Kim Bevers who played her?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

ccw6982 wrote:No mention of Little Allison?! Good Lord! She has to be the most incredibly attractive female on all of 80's TV! Does anyone have any info on the actress Kim Bevers who played her?
This was apparently the only thing she ever did. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2560555/
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by Lord Ickenham »

K Hale wrote:A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

The chess connection between her and Higgins led to a rather poignant moment that I think has been overlooked.

MS. JONES: Most people don't find me very interesting. Ever since I can remember I was always considered aloof and strange. A know-it-all. I've always felt unliked, and, uh...

Ms. Jones has autism (Asperger) and savant-syndrome with photographic memory and genial logical mind.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by K Hale »

Lord Ickenham wrote:
K Hale wrote:A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

Ms. Jones has autism (Asperger) and savant-syndrome with photographic memory and genial logical mind.
And isn’t it interesting how much Higgins can relate to her.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.19 Ms. Jones

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 2
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/568987657

In the preview, we hear the lines of dialogue from the first strip club scene:
Magnum: No, wait a minute, I know her.
Bouncer: I know…she’s your sister.
Magnum: No!
But in the episode proper, we only hear Thomas say “wait a minute” and it happens slightly earlier than in the preview. For the rest of the shot, their mouths move but the dialogue is inaudible. https://vimeo.com/568985930
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#31 Post by Treadwell »

Higgins obviously is already very familiar with the chess moves in question, given that he recognized them, so it doesn't make sense that he'd need her to show them to him. If she saw them in a magazine, then they're publicly recorded and he could find them as well.

Higgins wouldn't need to stop trimming the trees just because someone was in the house. When Thomas drives off at the end of that scene, isn't he just heading to the guest house?

When she drove over the grass, I'm amazed Higgins didn't take exception to that.

Thomas was wearing his driving sunglasses strangely. The nose rests were too close together, making them rise more over his forehead than his eyes.

Apparently Ray and Buck were not on set at the same time. In the final strip club scene, all shots are carefully framed to show one or the other, not both.

Ray's life work is research that he will only keep to himself and never utilize? What inventor has ever done that?
Last edited by Treadwell on Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#32 Post by Aloha Friday »

I am one of the very few who grade this episode as one of the best. I like the recurring role of Ms Jones and how she frustrates Magnum...and we finally get to meet Ray. The AI thing didn't mean much back to the 1985 me, but today it is amazing how ahead of its time this episode was...at the end when Ray warns of the dangers of the new technology.
I was probably a little generous with the score, but this episode had a lot to offer....could have used more TC and Rick. Was Rick even in it? I do not recall. TC and the binocular sub-plot was fun...
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia