6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 71

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

RamblerReb wrote:John W. Vessey, the person Ms. Jones plans to write a letter of complaint to, was at the time of the episode's broadcast the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is the only person ever to hold every rank the Army had to offer, and, at the time of his retirement in 1985, the last WWII four-star combat veteran on active duty.
Nice catch!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:For the other episodes, I always thought Ms. Jones was one of those useless, supposed to be humorous, characters that only showed up for once scene once in a "blue moon". :wink:

However, I found this episode enjoyable and entertaining! :) Even though Ms. Jones was still somewhat irritating or annoying...the action and plot help make-up for that. Plus, she does come around somewhat and help Magnum find the ever-mysterious Ray! :lol:

My favorite part is the very end...where we learn that Ray really did have plans for some kind of artificial intelligence, but he tricked the "evil", loathsome Col. Buck Greene! :) I hated Buck and anytime he was "screwed" was fine with me! :wink: That's a character they should have had killed somewhere along the line.

Agreed! Buck Green was a very hateable character. I have to say he made a really good rival for Magnum though, especially with his Navy ties. I thought this episode was pretty average but not bad by any means. Ms. Jones is a funny character and I think she should have made a few more appearances in the show.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Frodoleader »

Rambler Rob said, "The plane model that Buck Greene toys with while expositing the plot to Magnum and Ms. Jones is a Douglas A-1 Skyraider in Marine (naturally) livery."

Are you sure about that? When Buck picked it up the first thing I thought was F8 Bearcat. And if Buck is going to be in an episode, where was Maggie Poole (Jean Bruce Scott)? Maggie would have never made the mistakes Lt. Summers did!
Overall not a real great episode. But I appreciate centering an episode on a totally ancillary character, like Ms. Jones.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

RamblerReb
Commander

#19 Post by RamblerReb »

Frodoleader wrote:Rambler Rob said, "The plane model that Buck Greene toys with while expositing the plot to Magnum and Ms. Jones is a Douglas A-1 Skyraider in Marine (naturally) livery."

Are you sure about that? When Buck picked it up the first thing I thought was F8 Bearcat.
It's "Reb," not "Rob." :wink:

But, you're right, it's a Bearcat. I stand corrected. The underwing hardpoints fooled me.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Ms. Jones (5.19)

#20 Post by Doc Fred »

Personally, I can't stand women like "Ms." Jones, and how defensive, condescending and obnoxious they are, regardless of how attractive they are. Certainly, Margie Impert played her very well; hopefully, Margie was acting very well in the role.

The story was ok, once I could stop mumbling under my breath about the obnoxious Madeline Jones.

I felt badly for Ray at the end, and that he decided to remarry that woman. He seems like a glutton for punishment.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#21 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that it was a pretty solid episode. It gave an occassional guest actress the chance to do something bigger. It had a pretty funny B plot with Magnum trying to avoid TC after accidently destroying his binocculars.

The one thing I didn't really care for in the episode was Magnum never really seemed to take the case too seriously. I know they were going more for a comedy episode, but when you factor in the actual reasoning behind the case and that it, obviously, involved the government in some form I'd expect Magnum to have been a bit more serious about it.

I thought it was a unique enviorment to have Buck Greene. It wasn't involving Michelle or top level Navy officials. He was simply after a civillian that had developed a program the military may want to use. Obviously, if they had used Maggie Poole then Magnum would've known what was happening much faster. I didn't really understand the technical computer terms they were using, but I'm sure it made sense to a lot of the people into computer programming at the time. Higgins being overly excited about the chance to learn rare, but devestating chess moves was classic Higgins. Great touch to the episode.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Milton Collins »

I like this episode, an 8.0 for me. I think Ms. Jones was funny and a solid character even throughout some of her annoying personality traits. Even though she had some bit parts earlier in the series this was the only episode she had a substantial appearance in and I wouldn't have minded seeing her back for more appearances later on.

This episode included a somewhat strange appearance for Col. Buck Greene though, he's usually in the more serious military episodes. But of course Ray was dealing with some extremely sensitive information with his "artifical intelligence" and I could see where that could draw the attention of Naval intelligence like Buck.

That strip club scene ending with TM getting thrown out on his ear was absolutely hilarious! Not to mention the chess connection that "Maddy" had with Higgins and the way her impressive knowledge of complex moves totally drew him to her. I loved that part where he hypnotizes her and "abuses" the situation by making her show him the Rodmanavich?? (just a total guess, not an easy one to spell regardless lol!) move.

Overall not one of the more memorable episodes but a light, comedic episode with likable Ms. Jones and Ray that made for a fun watch!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Dave Anderson »

Milton Collins wrote:That strip club scene ending with TM getting thrown out on his ear was absolutely hilarious!...
I remember there actually were quite a few male strip clubs in the 80s (for women, not gays). The portrayal in the episode seemed pretty hokey though, I tend to doubt that's really what they were like, in the same way that TV of the time often portrayed female strip clubs kind of silly with the men usually clapping loudly and swaying in time to the music. And it seemed more of a mixed club or something with dancers of both sexes. Anyway, its interesting that the whole male stripper fad seemed to get really big for a few years and then mostly disappear.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

A perfectly delightful episode using a humorous character (well played by Margie Impert) that kind of stuck in your mind from previous episodes. I would have liked her character to have come back again and surprised me as to whether she would have treated TM better or not.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

The chess connection between her and Higgins led to a rather poignant moment that I think has been overlooked.

MS. JONES: Most people don't find me very interesting. Ever since I can remember I was always considered aloof and strange. A know-it-all. I've always felt unliked, and, uh...
HIGGINS: Alone?
MS. JONES: How did you know?
HIGGINS: [smiles]

My heart... :cry:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ccw6982
Ensign

#26 Post by ccw6982 »

No mention of Little Allison?! Good Lord! She has to be the most incredibly attractive female on all of 80's TV! Does anyone have any info on the actress Kim Bevers who played her?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

ccw6982 wrote:No mention of Little Allison?! Good Lord! She has to be the most incredibly attractive female on all of 80's TV! Does anyone have any info on the actress Kim Bevers who played her?
This was apparently the only thing she ever did. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2560555/
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by Lord Ickenham »

K Hale wrote:A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

The chess connection between her and Higgins led to a rather poignant moment that I think has been overlooked.

MS. JONES: Most people don't find me very interesting. Ever since I can remember I was always considered aloof and strange. A know-it-all. I've always felt unliked, and, uh...

Ms. Jones has autism (Asperger) and savant-syndrome with photographic memory and genial logical mind.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by K Hale »

Lord Ickenham wrote:
K Hale wrote:A cute episode, and I wish Ms. Jones had been brought back some, too. I like her better than Carol.

Ms. Jones has autism (Asperger) and savant-syndrome with photographic memory and genial logical mind.
And isn’t it interesting how much Higgins can relate to her.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.19 Ms. Jones

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 2
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/568987657

In the preview, we hear the lines of dialogue from the first strip club scene:
Magnum: No, wait a minute, I know her.
Bouncer: I know…she’s your sister.
Magnum: No!
But in the episode proper, we only hear Thomas say “wait a minute” and it happens slightly earlier than in the preview. For the rest of the shot, their mouths move but the dialogue is inaudible. https://vimeo.com/568985930
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."