3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: One of the best

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

nha trang wrote:The other impression this episode made on me is due to the comparison/contrast between Magnum PI and Jean Claude Fournier (forgive me if I spell his name incorrectly). In the climactic scene, Magnum interrupts Jean Claude's murderous act of vengeance - retribution, and we the viewer become privy to the contrast of the French hero's existential ethics vs. the American hero's (Magnum's) existential ethics. While both are heroes in their own way, Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice, in that he (notably, he is accompanied throughout the episode by Carol in her professional role) prefers a more formal justice to be obtained (and I reach when I say "Justice" because I know he insinuates what will people think of Jean Claude for such a murderous, wanton act of retribution? But is not the judgement we pass on ourselves via our conscience, our "little voice," the ultimate judgement that we are borne to suffer as terrestrial beings)?
Great review nha trang. I can always dig a little existential analysis of Magnum (I'll have to dust off my Kierkegaard tomes from the bookshelf - they haven't seen much action since my angst-riddled teens!).

One thing I take issue with though is when you say that in this episode "Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice." Isn't it actually the opposite? My impression of American values on justice - at least when they resonate through pop culture - is a celebration of the vigilante. I'm thinkin' John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, etc.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Re: One of the best

#42 Post by nha trang »

Thanks for the appreciation, Styles, I enjoyed this episode a lot.
One thing I take issue with though is when you say that in this episode "Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice." Isn't it actually the opposite? My impression of American values on justice - at least when they resonate through pop culture - is a celebration of the vigilante. I'm thinkin' John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, etc.
Well I'm no expert on American justice per se, but for Magnum, my opinion is that he struggles with right and wrong and still trying to sort out things in his head about what went on in 'nam. I think death (or violent acts, injury etc) has a strong effect on him, like in the episode where his stray bullet flips the lady's car over. I think much of the show is about Magnum juggling when taking action, even violent vigilante action, is justified.

My judgement of Magnum's character and ethics, sense of justice, (up to Season 5 that I've watched) is that things should generally take their proper legal course of action.

In many episodes he suggests that people call the police instead of taking action themselves. Yes, of course we have "Did you see the sunrise?" but I think that serves as an exception given the circumstances.

Perhaps it may be less clear what Magnum's "justice" is, but I think American justice would be trial by jury, innocent until proven guilty, etc, and this is what I saw Magnum embodying in his decision to stop Fournier.

I guess this is a topic that could be explored in an entirely new thread if one desired, because now I remember the episode with Magnum on the stand (Carol-centric episode) with the little girl's tape recording of the murder and how he kind of let the situation dictate his next steps as it evolved...

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#43 Post by Agatha »

Interesting discussion, guys! I, too, think Thomas struggles with right and wrong...a very endearing quality as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm here to interrupt your deep and intelligent thoughts with a trivial little news flash...

GUESS WHO I SAW ON "THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!" - ?????

Paul Verdier!! I can't even tell you how many times I've watched that movie but THIS time, one of those Russian sailors kept looking familiar to me and when I looked at the credits....there he was!! A LOT younger!

The mind is a mysterious thing...or at least mine appears to be!

End of interruption. You may resume your most worthy discussion.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:I gave this one a 7.0, which is being charitable. As for the DVD, the transfer on this one is subpar and I'm irked at the cut scene w/ Tanaka. Still, it's IMO the worst episode of S5 and one I barely remembered during the series' original run.
Are the episodes on the DVD sets edited/syndicated versions? I'd heard before that most of the episodes are the original airings...but reading this old post by Little Garwood, maybe this isn't true? Just wondering.

As for the episode, it was fairly decent...I enjoyed the Magnum/Carol aspect--with their humorous banter and as they worked together to expose Jean Claude Fournier. Some decent action scenes too--love the drive-by shooting scene at the restaurant!

But I also thought for an Asst. D.A. Carol was really ridiculous--and in reality would have seriously reprimanded (probably fired/disbarred) for so casually giving Jean Claude confidential info because she supposedly was so captivated by his French mannerisms. :roll:

Not one of my favorites but a pretty decent episode for season 5. I watch it when going through the show.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

RamblerReb
Commander

#45 Post by RamblerReb »

I have shared this with JJ already, but here, for your reading pleasure, is the Wikipedia entry for the song "Misty," complete with my contribution to it. See if you can guess what I added.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#46 Post by Agatha »

I love it, Rambler Reb!! Although I have come to believe...from watching this episode many many times because it's one of my favorites...that Tom Selleck doesn't really have a bad singing voice. I mean he sang the tune well...he just didn't manage to stay with the music!! Very fun!

One of my absolute favorite scenes in the whole series is when Thomas and Carol are outside arguing after Jean Claude has been shot...and Carol has told him confidential information. Thomas is SO frustrated that he can't even get his words out!! And the looks on his face are just priceless!! :)

Oh, and I also love it that I recognized a very young Paul Vernier in The Russians are Coming; The Russians are Coming!

It's a small world, after all... It's a small world, after all... Hm..hm hm hm....

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

RamblerReb
Commander

#47 Post by RamblerReb »

He did sing it again in "Solo Flight," when he's trapped under the plane, and did a better job a cappella, but still not a Grammy performance. I think personally that Selleck was trying to redeem himself.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I gave this one a 7.0, which is being charitable. As for the DVD, the transfer on this one is subpar and I'm irked at the cut scene w/ Tanaka. Still, it's IMO the worst episode of S5 and one I barely remembered during the series' original run.
Are the episodes on the DVD sets edited/syndicated versions? I'd heard before that most of the episodes are the original airings...but reading this old post by Little Garwood, maybe this isn't true? Just wondering.

As for the episode, it was fairly decent...I enjoyed the Magnum/Carol aspect--with their humorous banter and as they worked together to expose Jean Claude Fournier. Some decent action scenes too--love the drive-by shooting scene at the restaurant!

But I also thought for an Asst. D.A. Carol was really ridiculous--and in reality would have seriously reprimanded (probably fired/disbarred) for so casually giving Jean Claude confidential info because she supposedly was so captivated by his French mannerisms. :roll:

Not one of my favorites but a pretty decent episode for season 5. I watch it when going through the show.

I agree. Not a favorite but still entertaining, I have it an 8.0 I like seeing Carol again for sure, one of her better episodes. And I even like the Jean Claude Fournier chracter. A rival detective to Magnum, how cool! I had to crack up at Rick and TC busting the Sing Sing as liquor control agents. Those two are great especially when they are together and really take the show to the next level.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#49 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Also, no flubs for this episode? There must be something!
Here's one for you: for some reason cars in Marseilles seem to have American-spec headlamps. Quite extraordinary, as Higgins would say.

Not flubs per se, but three arguable points:

-When they're at the karaoke place Magnum tells Fournier to let him do the talking, seems Fournier is too conspicuous in that place. It's a sailors' dive. It must be full of foreign sailors, so how is Fournier conspicuous?

-Tanaka talks to Fournier in French yet Fournier talks to the French villain in English? :?:

-What's with the ridiculous uniforms worn by the sailors on the boat. Are we supposed to believe that's what French sailors look like?

kademan100
Ensign

#50 Post by kademan100 »

This is one of a few episodes in the series where someone says they are going to the restroom to "power their nose". Is this a reference to Carol using cocaine?! Sorry about the fact that I sound like an amature, because I am haha. I was born in 1993, so Magnum PI was far before my time, and I do not know how the culture and lifestyle of the 80's played out from a personal account. But, through modern technology and the era of Netflix, Magnum PI has become my all-time favorite T.V. show, hands down!!! I watched the first episode of my life a month ago. I work full-time and I have already watched and enjoyed myself to the beginning of season 6. Oh, and in addition to my question, can anyone tell me which characters, and what previous episodes have used the phrase, "powder my nose". Just curious. I am very glad to have never heard Magnum mention this personally.

JT
Captain

#51 Post by JT »

Powder your nose:

Ladies restrooms used to be called "powder rooms" and they had chairs and mirrors so a woman could check out her make-up. Face powder was commonly used rather than liquid make-up. Women didn't want to reveal the true nature of their visit to the restroom. So they would say, "I am going to powder my nose."

So, no, Carol is not doing cocaine.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Power my nose", heh. :)

I never thought about it before, but "powder my nose" is pretty funny when the context of cocaine is thrown in. It must have been somewhat confusing in the 70's.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to powder my nose"....
"No, no, just make-up, not blow!"
"Sorry!"
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

kademan100
Ensign

#53 Post by kademan100 »

Ah! That makes a lot more sense. For a second I thought she was doing cocaine, and thatMagnum was for some reason okay with it! Haha glad I got it cleared up I would have lost some respect for my favorite TV show! Haha.like I said all this way way before my 90's childhood!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Man From Marseilles (5.20)

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

This, to me, was a so so episode which I vaguely remembering seeing on it's original transmission run on ITV in the Uk in the mid 80's, I remember the boat party at the end and the syringe sticking put of the villain of the episode.

Maybe I've mellowed with continued exposure to the character Carol but I no longer wanted to put my foot through the TV screen when she appeared - well not instantly anyway !

The french detective was played by a chap with a lazy right eye and was balding and yet Carol was swooning over him, huh ?

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Man From Marseilles (5.20)

#55 Post by Stelth »

charybdis1966 wrote:This, to me, was a so so episode which I vaguely remembering seeing on it's original transmission run on ITV in the Uk in the mid 80's, I remember the boat party at the end and the syringe sticking put of the villain of the episode.

Maybe I've mellowed with continued exposure to the character Carol but I no longer wanted to put my foot through the TV screen when she appeared - well not instantly anyway !

The french detective was played by a chap with a lazy right eye and was balding and yet Carol was swooning over him, huh ?
Pubehead tries to get it anyway she can.