3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Man From Marseilles (5.20)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Man From Marseilles (5.20). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/14/1985
When a famous French detective contacts Magnum about a missing heir, Magnum eagerly says "bonjour" to the high-profile case of multiple identities, drug possession, and fraud.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Danno »

'Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree...'

Hilarious. :lol:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GTS »

Hi Guys

Just watched this episode on my region 2 DVD and the dialogue in French
between Lt.Tanaka and Jean Claude is all there. Side note. Season 5 has so many of the recurring characters which is great, Tanaka and Mac in particular are a joy to watch. Carol is also in many of the episodes too.

I get my Season 6 DVD's this week from Amazon...aloha.
Last edited by 308GTS on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, thanks for the info regarding the Region 2 DVD version of this episode, 308GTS! I wonder why they left it out of the Region 1 DVD? :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

I gave this one a 7.0, which is being charitable. As for the DVD, the transfer on this one is subpar and I'm irked at the cut scene w/ Tanaka. Still, it's IMO the worst episode of S5 and one I barely remembered during the series' original run.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode has really grown on me. Love the story and the tie-in with the Robin Masters novel Die, and Die Again. Magnum, Jean Claude, Carol and Higgins make one heck of a good investigative team! The Sing Sing Palace scenes are just classic. And I love all the screen time Carol gets in this episode, although I wouldn't quite characterize it as a "Carol-centric" episode. Love the brawl at the end. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the only time Carol gets involved in fisticuffs. And by golly, she holds her own!

She starts off with a knee-kick to the gonads...

Then she grabs the guys head, about to do who-knows-what!

Before she is slapped hard in the face and knocked backwards. :shock:

Lastly, during the Sing Sing Palace scene, I noticed something on the wall that just dropped my jaw to the floor...

The poster in the middle-left is for the semi-obscure, Atlanta-based, funk rock band Mother's Finest. These guys have been around since the early 70s, but are not really well-known outside of The South. I've actually heard some of their stuff. I was totally shocked to see a poster of them on the wall! And next to ToTo of all bands! :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

Great spot for finding the Mother's Finest poster! I saw them several times back in the 70s. They were a great band. I saw them open for Molly Hatchet (wierd combination) and they stole the show! It was awesome.

How that poster ended up in a dive bar on Oahu is a mystery.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think you and I are on the same rotation, James, because I watched this one this morning too.

I am going to go out on a limb and call this a Carol centric episode

(I think I did it in my list of charactercentric episodes....where's that thread?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hehe, Doc! I actually watched it last night. I only watch Magnum at night, after the kids are in bed, the dishes done, the floors swept, the toys picked up, the bills paid, etc. It's my "happy place". ;)

Luther, your coolness meter just went up a couple of notches with me! You saw a double bill of Molly Hatchet and Mother's Finest! If you don't mind me asking, where did you see them?

Sam, thanks for the link. It is indeed an album, Live (from 1979).

It looks to me like the Sing Sing Palace was a set, not a real location. If so, then the props department put all the posters/album covers on the walls. Someone in the props department must have been a fan of the band! Cool! :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

I saw them in Greenville, SC at the city auditorium. It held about 8000 people. We got some pretty good concerts there. The opening act was Nantucket who had a small hit with "Heartbreaker". They were from Charlotte, NC. Next was MF. They rocked as usual. So much so that the majority redneck crowd stood and cheered during the entire 1 hour set! When Molly came out, everyone had a blank stare on their faces for a while. Some people even left after 30 minutes or so. Molly played well but they were sticks in the mud compared to MF. I still to this day find myself singing "Mickey's Monkey" and "Baby Love" in my head.

Cool to have such an odd connection to someone else. I didn't think many people knew Mother's Finest. I used to have a t shirt with the superman type of MF logo on it. Those were the days...

P.S. I also saw MF open for Styx in 77 or 78. They played well but did not steal the show from Styx.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool! Yeah, I'm into all kinds of music, although I don't see many shows anymore (I saw a ton when I was younger). A friend of mine in HS turned me on to Mother's Finest..... and Bad Brains, and Television, and The Stooges, and all kinds of good stuff. Classic Rock is still my favorite genre, however. Lowell George-era Little Feat, Rush and The Cars are some of my favorite bands.

And we have more in common Luther. My very first concert was Styx/REO Speedwagon in '81 (when I was almost 12). Great show, but the opening siren on "Riding the Storm Out" scared the hell out of me! I thought it was an attack warning, like the kind at school! :)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, my very first concert was The Grateful Dead back in the 1960's...I'm feeling ancient now... :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:I am going to go out on a limb and call this a Carol centric episode
Upon further review, I think you are right Doc. I'll update the Episode Guide.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

More about Mother's Finest... BB Borden the drummer is now playing for the current version of the Marshall Tucker Band. I'm not sure what the rest are doing but I have seen some youtube clips of MF with what looks like the original singers but I am not sure about the bandmates.

I still cannot believe the MF poster was in an MPI scene. That is really odd. I cannot believe MF would have mode it to Oahu bit you never know. Luther Gillis made it there from St Louie...

Luther