3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

Don't feel ancient alone. My first concert was, I think, Glenn Yarborough ("Baby, The Rain Must Fall") in college. Then Jackie Wilson, same timeframe.

When did the term "Classic Rock" originate? James mentions bands I wouldn't consider "classic" in terms of age (due to my ADVANCED age!). Are what I would consider "Classic Rock and Roll" bands/artists considered "Oldies"? In my mind, "Classic Rock" goes from Bobby Darin, Martha & the Vandells, Four Tops, Temptations, and Elvis, etc., to the Grass Roots, e.g., -- probably basically from the late 1950s to about 1970 (leaving out completely "The British Invasion," which gets its own category). Or is "Classic Rock" 1970s forward? Prior to then, it was simply "Rock and Roll" or "Golden Oldies"?

Are SL and I the only "oldies" here who even remember these early artists when they were making their then-current hits and weren't already "oldies"?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#17 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
Are SL and I the only "oldies" here who even remember these early artists when they were making their then-current hits and weren't already "oldies"?
GOSH!! I hope not! :D

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by lutherhgillis »

Man, I thought I was old. I'm glad I'm not the only 'mature' MPI fan!

Cheers.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, who here was actually an adult when MPI was on? Who watched it as a contemporary of the "guys," as I was?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:When did the term "Classic Rock" originate? James mentions bands I wouldn't consider "classic" in terms of age (due to my ADVANCED age!). Are what I would consider "Classic Rock and Roll" bands/artists considered "Oldies"? In my mind, "Classic Rock" goes from Bobby Darin, Martha & the Vandells, Four Tops, Temptations, and Elvis, etc., to the Grass Roots, e.g., -- probably basically from the late 1950s to about 1970 (leaving out completely "The British Invasion," which gets its own category). Or is "Classic Rock" 1970s forward? Prior to then, it was simply "Rock and Roll" or "Golden Oldies"?
"Classic Rock" is a broad classification (started in the early 80s) that generally covers most of the Album Oriented Rock (AOR) music from the late 60's to the early 80's, artists like Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Boston, Foreigner, etc. Most of the music from the mid-60s and earlier is generally considered to fall under the "Oldies" category, with different sub-genres under it (surf music, doo-wop, etc.).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:James,

More about Mother's Finest... BB Borden the drummer is now playing for the current version of the Marshall Tucker Band. I'm not sure what the rest are doing but I have seen some youtube clips of MF with what looks like the original singers but I am not sure about the bandmates.

I still cannot believe the MF poster was in an MPI scene. That is really odd. I cannot believe MF would have mode it to Oahu bit you never know. Luther Gillis made it there from St Louie...

Luther
Wow, I had no idea the Marshall Tucker Band was still around! It looks like three of the five original members are dead, but they are still finding bookings (~ 150 dates a year!). Clay Cook, who was an early partner with John Mayer (The LoFi Masters), is also in the band now. "Can't You See", "Heard It In a Love Song".... never get tired of those songs!

As for the Mother's Finest album on the wall, I can only assume it was "donated" by a MPI crew member (along with the ToTo poster). Someone probably said, "Hey, we need some rock posters to go on the wall of the "Sing Sing Palace". Can anybody help out?" This would actually be a good question to ask Rick Romer!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

The MTB's original members retired in 1988 except for Doug Gray and Jerry Eubanks. The two originals hired some very good session musicians and continued to tour and record as the MTB. They travel a great amount each year and have recorded some very good music. They are considered a nostalgia act even though the current lineup are very good in their own right.

I grew up in Spartanburg, SC which is the hometown of the original MTB. I would see them around town regularly when they were not touring during the 70s and 80s. George McCorkel would visit the local musical instrument store and jam with fans sometimes. You could also see them at local nightclubs sometimes and they might even jam with the houseband.

As a side note, Artimus Pyle from Lynyrd Skynyrd sat with me and my friends and talked about a local band that was playing in a nightclub once. Cool, eh?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's very cool Luther!

I passed through Spartanburg one time. Interesting town, for sure. At the time, I had no idea it was a "college town". Boy was I in for a surpise. *sigh* Wofford.... ;)

Ice_Pick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#24 Post by Ice_Pick »

This is kind of a lame epi, but I love the part where Magnum is singing :lol:

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Another so-so episode from the fifth season. My reviews at this point are a little shorter than usual, as I just don’t have as much to say on the episode.

[rating=7.5]

A famous French Detective, who is the basis for Robin Masters’ latest book, asks Magnum to help him track down a missing heir. But as the case unfolds, Magnum finds himself questioning just whose side the detective is really on. Another middling episode…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

‘The Man From Marseilles’ is another middle-of-the-road fifth season episode of MPI. Like many of the season, it sadly has little to make it really stand out.

Famous French Detective Jean Claude Fornier (Paul Verdier) at first seems like he could be an interesting character, and he has a few fair moments, but unfortunately, the story soon nosedives, and isn’t really all that engaging.

The only notable sequence from the episode – and one of the most memorable from the season – is where Magnum is forced to sing in the karaoke bar – he struggles his way through ‘Misty’, and for all of Magnum’s talents, he’s no great singer.

Carol has a lot to do in this story, as she starts to get close to Jean Claude, making Magnum jealous. Once again, Kathleen Lloyd and Tom Selleck work very well together – one might wonder why after ‘Compulsion’ previously in the season, and now this, why T.M. and Carol never got it together.

Other than that, there isn’t much to note here. The story plods along, there is little real action, and as with a number of fifth season episodes, I found myself not really caring about what happened.
The ending is okay I suppose, but after such a so-so story, it didn’t really have the impact it should.

All-in-all, I give this one a 7.5, which is probably being generous.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* On one of the threads for an episode review earlier in the season, it was noted about what seems to be a painting in the study of a bearded woman. Near the beginning of this episode, we get a clear shot of it behind Higgins (I’ll try and get a screen grab at some point) – it seems she is not bearded after all – it is just the shadow on her face and neck that, at a glance, could be mistaken for it.

* Although I fall under Region 2 on DVDs, I got the Region 1 versions (they were released sooner and sometimes had more bonuses), so I am annoyed at the three minutes edited from this episode. I’m pretty certain my off-air recording from Five in 2002 has the deleted scene, but I still can’t find the videocassette that I recorded this batch of episodes on!

* On the DVD version of this episode, all of the act breaks are abridged.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by 308GTS »

Just watching this ep for the second time and I gotta say it's great! Some superb dialogue between TM, Carol and Higgins at the start, then some excellent exchanges from Jean Claude and even Rosine at the seedy bar, "but of course".

All in all a very enjoyable episode. Carol actually looks pretty hot too!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MACattack »

This episodes had a lot of firsts for MPI. The first time we see Magnum singing karaoke (and the only), and the first time I ever saw a drive-by shooting on TV (the scene at the french restaurant).

I was totally shocked by the sce where Jean injected the villain with poison.
I just don't give a damn!

Rob
Ensign

#28 Post by Rob »

MACattack wrote:The first time we see Magnum singing karaoke (and the only)
That's classic scene(!)
Mrs. Perroni's for
a thick slice of life
:)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I love the way this thread digressed into a conversation about classic rock just based on flash appearance of an album cover on the wall of the Sing Sing (an awesome name for a karaoke bar, btw).

I'm not sure why this ep doesn't rate higher. While it's not one of the best, it's pretty solid. Classic footage at the Sing Sing, a nice glimpse of Mag's life while not investigating (reading novels with a beer on the beach), a little peppering of the international life Robin leads (sipping cognac at his villa in the Cote d'Azur).

Anybody know about the Marseilles stock footage and the initial scene that is supposed to take place there? I assume it's in Honolulu.

What is it with these famous European detectives that seem to exist in Hollywood? Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, even Jacques Clouseau! Is there really such a thing as a police detective who is so good at his job that people recognize him on the street?

Also, no flubs for this episode? There must be something!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

firefly
Commander

#30 Post by firefly »

very cool info in re the marshall tucker band! they (the current version) just played a show not far from me at the infinity hall http://www.infinityhall.com/. although i did not go to that particular show, the theater itself is absolutely amazing. i highly recommend that if any of you are in this neck of the woods and get the chance check out a show there.

as far as the episode, it seemed to me to be a little discombobulated. magnum singing at the sing sing was def. one of my favorite scenes of season 5.