3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#61 Post by Milton Collins »

Little Garwood wrote:I gave this one a 7.0, which is being charitable. As for the DVD, the transfer on this one is subpar and I'm irked at the cut scene w/ Tanaka. Still, it's IMO the worst episode of S5 and one I barely remembered during the series' original run.

I agree I gave it a 6.5 the worst rating to date. I've seen it a couple times over the years and I'm re watching randomly and I'm calling this one a flop mid episode lol I just find Jean Claude to be downright dumb and annoying. But I always say that any Magnum even a less than average episode is better than most other shows. Side note: is it just me or is Larry magneto extremely red faced or sunburned in this one?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Man From Marseilles (5.20)

#62 Post by Milton Collins »

Meant Manetti not Magneto lol (this isn't x men lol)

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re:

#63 Post by Dave Anderson »

kademan100 wrote:This is one of a few episodes in the series where someone says they are going to the restroom to "power their nose". Is this a reference to Carol using cocaine?! Sorry about the fact that I sound like an amature, because I am haha. I was born in 1993, so Magnum PI was far before my time, and I do not know how the culture and lifestyle of the 80's played out from a personal account. But, through modern technology and the era of Netflix, Magnum PI has become my all-time favorite T.V. show, hands down!!! I watched the first episode of my life a month ago. I work full-time and I have already watched and enjoyed myself to the beginning of season 6. Oh, and in addition to my question, can anyone tell me which characters, and what previous episodes have used the phrase, "powder my nose". Just curious. I am very glad to have never heard Magnum mention this personally.
I see someone already explained it to you, but I find it interesting that you wouldn't have heard of going to the powder room. I didn't realize the term was no longer in general use. Interesting. Also makes me feel, aaargh, old, or at least as Magnum once put it, "its not that we're old, we're just not young anymore."

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re: Re:

#64 Post by Dave Anderson »

Milton Collins wrote: I agree I gave it a 6.5 the worst rating to date. I've seen it a couple times over the years and I'm re watching randomly and I'm calling this one a flop mid episode lol I just find Jean Claude to be downright dumb and annoying. But I always say that any Magnum even a less than average episode is better than most other shows. Side note: is it just me or is Larry magneto extremely red faced or sunburned in this one?
Haven't watched this one in a while but I remember I didn't particularly care for it. It does have a few high points, such as the sleezy bar scene; even a not so great sleezy bar scene is worth a few brownie points. The basic premise though is rather dated, ie the French guy automatically being considered sexy. This was a stereotype through much of the 20th century, but I don't think it works anymore and probably was already wearing thin by the time the show originally aired.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by ENSHealy »

MACattack wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 am I was totally shocked by the sce where Jean injected the villain with poison.
I've always assumed it was heroin in the syringe, i.e. taste of his own medicine, or ironic revenge for the overdose of his wife.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 amThe french detective was played by a chap with a lazy right eye and was balding and yet Carol was swooning over him, huh ?
I laughed out loud when I read that! I have to admit, I had a similar thought about his appearance and Carol's swooning while watching the episode, he's sort of an odd looking fellow, but upon further reflection, I believe her swooning really starts when Jean Claude lays on the poetry (mahogany orbs, etc.). So it may be more because of his smooth talking than his looks. I've heard talk that women sometimes do prefer personality over appearance...but I can never bring myself to believe it.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#67 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 amThe french detective was played by a chap with a lazy right eye and was balding and yet Carol was swooning over him, huh ?
I laughed out loud when I read that! I have to admit, I had a similar thought about his appearance and Carol's swooning while watching the episode, he's sort of an odd looking fellow, but upon further reflection, I believe her swooning really starts when Jean Claude lays on the poetry (mahogany orbs, etc.). So it may be more because of his smooth talking than his looks. I've heard talk that women sometimes do prefer personality over appearance...but I can never bring myself to believe it.
In my experience, I’ve come to believe that men are attracted to women by visual appeal more than anything else. On the other hand, women are attracted less by how they feel about the man, looks or otherwise, but more by how the man make them feel about themselves. There are many exceptions of course, but Carol’s attraction to Jean Claude seems quite plausible to me.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 am
ENSHealy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm
In my experience, I’ve come to believe that men are attracted to women by visual appeal more than anything else. On the other hand, women are attracted less by how they feel about the man, looks or otherwise, but more by how the man make them feel about themselves. There are many exceptions of course, but Carol’s attraction to Jean Claude seems quite plausible to me.
Pahonu,
You are spot on, I didn't think Carol's feelings for Jean Claude seemed out of place either.
By the time people have reached their 30's they have sown their wild oats. Women especially aren't looking for boys but men, men who actually listen to what they say, their wants and desires.
Going to bed is all well and good but its the waking up the next day, sharing all the joys and pains of life together that counts. Because at that point looks don't count for much, you couldn't pay me
enough to live with one of those Khardashian creatures in their cretinous world of false values and utterly vapid discourses.
Check out Murphy's Romance(1985), wherein Sally Field at her most beguiling falls for the much older James Garner though her handsome man-child ex husband is still panting for her.
Excellent flick, the Oscar nominated Garner's interactions with Field's son, teaching him right from wrong, are beautifully done, Ward Cleaver would approve.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.20 The Man From Marseilles

Famous guest stars:
Image Image
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 3
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/569860137

The reference to interrogations in French sure doesn’t make sense without the missing 3 minutes.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#70 Post by Treadwell »

7, although I could be convinced to give it a 7.5

The Tanaka scene is present in the Amazon Prime version. Has anyone transcribed an English translation of the French dialog?

I was just asking a few episodes ago about whether the Jimmy was even still around, given Magnum rented a car instead of using it in that episode. But here it is. (Why he didn't use the Ferrari is not explained. Yeah, it was a rough area, but that's never stopped him before. And they don't even roll up the windows when they park.)

Higgins is justified in calling the study his, just as he could call his bed his, even if both are owned by someone else. He's the one living there and using them.

Given Magnum's moral stance during the climax, I wanted to ask him if he'd seen the sunrise.

frao51
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#71 Post by frao51 »

What Tanaka and Fornier say when they speak French at the police department? Can anyone write their French dialogue here, please?