6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 72

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Also, no flubs for this episode? There must be something!
Found one... a Duran Duran poster. That's a mistake! ;)

The walls of the Sing Sing Palace are littered with dozens of album covers and posters. Most you can't get a good look at, but I know I saw Sting somewhere and an unidentified hair metal band. Hehe.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Found one... a Duran Duran poster. That's a mistake! ;)
I used to love Duran Duran back then!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Coops »

OK, I'm a little confused. How is it a flub when there are posters of muscal groups on the walls of a karaoke (sp?) bar?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's not really a flub. Just a bad joke on my part. I hate Duran Duran. The cheerleaders once did a "The Reflex/Wild Boys" medley at a school pep rally. I remember thinking, "That's it. It's all downhill from here!" What can I say, I carry the "rock torch".

In hindsight, compared to today's bleak music scene, it really wasn't so bad. And I do actually like some of their songs ("Girls on Film", "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf"). :)

Styles Bitchley

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:In hindsight, compared to today's bleak music scene, it really wasn't so bad. And I do actually like some of their songs ("Girls on Film", "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf"). :)
Yeah, that early stuff is still great in a nostalgic sort of way. Seriously, check out this video for Planet Earth. Like it or not, Simon Le Bon's fashion and new wave dancing were part of a pop-cultural revolution!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh wow, forgot about "Planet Earth"! Great song!

You know, sometimes I respond/answer in the forum with the mindset of what I was like in the 1980s (being an 80's show and all). I secretly liked the first two records, but never cared for anything after that (except maybe a song or two from Notorious). If I even hinted at liking Duran Duran back then my friends would have taunted me to no end! Different times! Today, I wouldn't think twice about singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" out loud. ;)

Still can't believe they're still around and putting out records! :shock:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#37 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:Oh wow, forgot about "Planet Earth"! Great song!

You know, sometimes I respond/answer in the forum with the mindset of what I was like in the 1980s (being an 80's show and all). I secretly liked the first two records, but never cared for anything after that (except maybe a song or two from Notorious). If I even hinted at liking Duran Duran back then my friends would have taunted me to no end! Different times! Today, I wouldn't think twice about singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" out loud. ;)

Still can't believe they're still around and putting out records! :shock:
Even though the were a little bit before my time, "Ordinary World" is a nice tune.

brunoffrance
Captain

The french touch....

#38 Post by brunoffrance »

Sunday around the dinner table and the average vote is 8.5...
Sure, as we are french, a special attention to this episode with jean claude Fournier ... We 've loved it as he was the icon of what France represent to you... charmous, elegant, style and good singer ( certainly for the relation Yves Montand and Marylin Manson ) . Ok , a bit lier on the border of this too much perfect caracter but it is what we call, the french touch ....
For the anecdoct, my grand mother's wife is a Fournier .... I can't imagine now that JC Fournier is or was, in my familly .... ;)) so total respect now !
TM performance as singer can be great with some vocal works... The voice is not so bad finally....
Very american 4 a french...

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by 308GTS »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Found one... a Duran Duran poster. That's a mistake! ;)
I used to love Duran Duran back then!
Unfortunately for Simon Le Bon, he still can't sing in tune, never could. Sorry but I disagree, Duran Duran were dire, one of the worst new wave wanabe kid rock bands of all time! Much preferred Spandau Ballet, although he couldn't sing either, always one or two notes out, must have been a British thing in the early mid eighties, the not being able to sing that is.

I was into Huey Lewis, Toto and harder rock acts like Van Halen and Journey. Now, that's what you call music, esp Steve Perry! Awesome.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

nha trang
Vice Admiral

One of the best

#40 Post by nha trang »

This episode is one of the best -

I know what you're thinking....(wait for it)....

and you're....RIGHT! It's not "one of the best" for the Magnum story line, but it is a SOLID episode. I ALMOST rated it a 10 - but to me, that is almost blasphemy with Magnum PI, because the 10.0 episode is to be imagined in your head for eternity, and in the last day of eternity we will watch the 10.0 episode we have written ;-)

The episode flows throughout - and to me represents the culmination of the BETTER second-half episodes of Season 5. Season 5 does have a definite lag to it, but there are several episodes prior to this one that are really good, though not quite "classic."

This episode struck me in a couple of ways, on this, my first viewing:

It's season 5, the dramatis personae for Magnum has been pretty well established, they can tell whatever tales they want with this framework - the setting, the characters, etc. And they do this well in this episode...

The other impression this episode made on me is due to the comparison/contrast between Magnum PI and Jean Claude Fournier (forgive me if I spell his name incorrectly). In the climactic scene, Magnum interrupts Jean Claude's murderous act of vengeance - retribution, and we the viewer become privy to the contrast of the French hero's existential ethics vs. the American hero's (Magnum's) existential ethics. While both are heroes in their own way, Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice, in that he (notably, he is accompanied throughout the episode by Carol in her professional role) prefers a more formal justice to be obtained (and I reach when I say "Justice" because I know he insinuates what will people think of Jean Claude for such a murderous, wanton act of retribution? But is not the judgement we pass on ourselves via our conscience, our "little voice," the ultimate judgement that we are borne to suffer as terrestrial beings)?

As in "Fragments," Season 5.6, we confront a sense of the Fatalistic -- definitely more to the point Deterministic, as in pre-destination. Magnum (and Carol) interrupt Jean Claude in the moment of his satisfaction, his jouissance, in the climactic moment of his vengeance...the dueteronomical 'eye for an eye' justice, and TS interjects with his own Raison d'être, and we are left to witness that Magnum's justice cleaves to the "Justice" of what unfolds...that is almost to say, the justice that is Holy.

"This then is the formula which describes the states of the self when despair is completely eradicated: In relating to itself and in wanting to be itself, the self is grounded transparently in the power that established it."

~Kierkegaard "The Sickness Unto Death"

but...let us also not forget this wonderful awkward scene of Magnum's karaoke...wow! what an excellent episode..

Styles Bitchley

Re: One of the best

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

nha trang wrote:The other impression this episode made on me is due to the comparison/contrast between Magnum PI and Jean Claude Fournier (forgive me if I spell his name incorrectly). In the climactic scene, Magnum interrupts Jean Claude's murderous act of vengeance - retribution, and we the viewer become privy to the contrast of the French hero's existential ethics vs. the American hero's (Magnum's) existential ethics. While both are heroes in their own way, Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice, in that he (notably, he is accompanied throughout the episode by Carol in her professional role) prefers a more formal justice to be obtained (and I reach when I say "Justice" because I know he insinuates what will people think of Jean Claude for such a murderous, wanton act of retribution? But is not the judgement we pass on ourselves via our conscience, our "little voice," the ultimate judgement that we are borne to suffer as terrestrial beings)?
Great review nha trang. I can always dig a little existential analysis of Magnum (I'll have to dust off my Kierkegaard tomes from the bookshelf - they haven't seen much action since my angst-riddled teens!).

One thing I take issue with though is when you say that in this episode "Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice." Isn't it actually the opposite? My impression of American values on justice - at least when they resonate through pop culture - is a celebration of the vigilante. I'm thinkin' John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, etc.

- J.Q.H.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Re: One of the best

#42 Post by nha trang »

Thanks for the appreciation, Styles, I enjoyed this episode a lot.
One thing I take issue with though is when you say that in this episode "Magnum embodies the American sense of ethics/justice." Isn't it actually the opposite? My impression of American values on justice - at least when they resonate through pop culture - is a celebration of the vigilante. I'm thinkin' John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, etc.
Well I'm no expert on American justice per se, but for Magnum, my opinion is that he struggles with right and wrong and still trying to sort out things in his head about what went on in 'nam. I think death (or violent acts, injury etc) has a strong effect on him, like in the episode where his stray bullet flips the lady's car over. I think much of the show is about Magnum juggling when taking action, even violent vigilante action, is justified.

My judgement of Magnum's character and ethics, sense of justice, (up to Season 5 that I've watched) is that things should generally take their proper legal course of action.

In many episodes he suggests that people call the police instead of taking action themselves. Yes, of course we have "Did you see the sunrise?" but I think that serves as an exception given the circumstances.

Perhaps it may be less clear what Magnum's "justice" is, but I think American justice would be trial by jury, innocent until proven guilty, etc, and this is what I saw Magnum embodying in his decision to stop Fournier.

I guess this is a topic that could be explored in an entirely new thread if one desired, because now I remember the episode with Magnum on the stand (Carol-centric episode) with the little girl's tape recording of the murder and how he kind of let the situation dictate his next steps as it evolved...

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#43 Post by Agatha »

Interesting discussion, guys! I, too, think Thomas struggles with right and wrong...a very endearing quality as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm here to interrupt your deep and intelligent thoughts with a trivial little news flash...

GUESS WHO I SAW ON "THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!" - ?????

Paul Verdier!! I can't even tell you how many times I've watched that movie but THIS time, one of those Russian sailors kept looking familiar to me and when I looked at the credits....there he was!! A LOT younger!

The mind is a mysterious thing...or at least mine appears to be!

End of interruption. You may resume your most worthy discussion.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:I gave this one a 7.0, which is being charitable. As for the DVD, the transfer on this one is subpar and I'm irked at the cut scene w/ Tanaka. Still, it's IMO the worst episode of S5 and one I barely remembered during the series' original run.
Are the episodes on the DVD sets edited/syndicated versions? I'd heard before that most of the episodes are the original airings...but reading this old post by Little Garwood, maybe this isn't true? Just wondering.

As for the episode, it was fairly decent...I enjoyed the Magnum/Carol aspect--with their humorous banter and as they worked together to expose Jean Claude Fournier. Some decent action scenes too--love the drive-by shooting scene at the restaurant!

But I also thought for an Asst. D.A. Carol was really ridiculous--and in reality would have seriously reprimanded (probably fired/disbarred) for so casually giving Jean Claude confidential info because she supposedly was so captivated by his French mannerisms. :roll:

Not one of my favorites but a pretty decent episode for season 5. I watch it when going through the show.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

RamblerReb
Commander

#45 Post by RamblerReb »

I have shared this with JJ already, but here, for your reading pleasure, is the Wikipedia entry for the song "Misty," complete with my contribution to it. See if you can guess what I added.