7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 75

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Let Me Hear the Music (5.18)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Let Me Hear the Music (5.18). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/21/1985
Something is distinctly out of tune when a musician hires Magnum to track down five missing love songs that legendary country singer George Lee Jessup composed shortly before his tragic airplane crash.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm a thousand miles from nowhere
beneath the flashing, neon lights
And I'll try to get through
one more lonely night

People keep on a-movin'
just fillin' up the space
All I keep on a-see'in
is the memory of your face

I just wanna hold you
and listen deep within
Listen to the music
that'll let me live again

Let me hear the music
that keeps my world in time
Let me hear the music
and let me hear the rhyme
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

Solid episode. Dennis Weaver is excellent in his part, and the song at the end is surprisingly very good (can't remember the others right now). I like the scene with Magnum and Lacy Fletcher under that awesome tree, and with the mountains in the background.

Wish I could say more but it's been awhile since I've seen this episode.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I've always really liked Dennis Weaver. Love McCloud, but I havn't seen an episode in ages. It never seems to air anymore.

The other songs heard in this episode are "Cheatin' Kisses" (also written and performed by Dennis Weaver) and "Last Word Woman" (heard at the beginning in the Wheeling, WV scene) written by MPI producer Rueben Leder (music) and MPI writer Jay Huguely (lyrics). All the songs are really quite good.

That tree was beautiful wasn't it. And huge! I'd love to find out where it is. It appeared to be in a park of some sort.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Hi James..

That tree was beautiful wasn't it. And huge! I'd love to find out where it is. It appeared to be in a park of some sort.

Some years back I read that those scenes were shot in Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens which is just south of Kaneohe.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

Since writing everything below I see Sam's comment above, so I'll respond to that first.

Hearing that this scene was shot in Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens would have helped my search! Instead I had a devil of a time finding the location from looking at the mountains, buildings and trees were seen in the show. But according to what I've found it's not actually located in the Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens, but about 2000 feet to the north. I just had the thought though that it may have been part of the HBG in 1984 or early 85 when the show was shot.

Following is what I already had written and put together...
-----------------------------------------

I decided to see if I could find the location of the tree with the help of google earth. This was a tough one and tested my GE skills but after some aggravation I did find the location. It's just southeast of Windward Community College. Click here for the location of the tree.

So here's the tree in question.

The bad news is that I can't be 100% sure that the tree in goggle earth is the tree from the show, but I'm pretty sure it is. The surrounding area has gone through some changes as you can see in the picture below, which made my task harder. But the building in the lower left and a small number of other things makes me sure this is the right location (or just a small number of feet off). Looking in google earth with terrain on you can even see that the mountains are correct. My scriblings in the picture are a bit crude but I think they still help.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow rubber chicken, that's an amazing find right there! How on (google) earth did you find it without a place to start?? Did you just start randomly scrolling over the east coast of Oahu until you found a building and a tree that looked somewhat similar to what was seen in the episode? Unbelievably cool, man! :shock:

Anybody know what kind of tree that is?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

I know what kind of tree it is. It's a banyan tree and they grow in abundance in the islands. I even have a picture of me in front of one. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here I would!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

James J. Walters wrote:How on (google) earth did you find it without a place to start?? Did you just start randomly scrolling over the west coast of Oahu until you found a building and a tree that looked somewhat similar to what was seen in the episode?
Well, my biggest help was the background shots of the mountains. You can see in the first picture of the tree that they almost form a wall in the longest section. Looking in google earth shows that that feature is only on the east side of the main mountain chain. The West side of the mountains decline much more gradually and are quite different. The steep decline also happens on the other mountain chain on the island in the west but I ruled those out because it's far from the shows normal filming locations and those mountains didn't look as big as what were seen in the show.

From there I looked for the mountain feature to the right of Magnum in the big picture above, the part that juts out behind that building. While looking for that I also was looking for a building like that to be near that jutting out feature, and also the two roads that come together and some open grass space and large trees etc.

I admit it wasn't easy and it took more time than I wanted to spend at first but I really enjoy maps and satellite images so I took it as a challenge, and was very satisfied when I found it. :)

Maybe now someone can make a pilgrimage there see if that really is the same tree - it might even be bigger now, 20+ years later. :shock:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

I say Magnum "Nice job" what are you,some kinda private DETECTIVE.lol

Everything seems to fit.The only thing that I question is the location of your top right photo,the one of Magnum.I'll have to watch the episode to see the sequence.The building you have labeled "changed or new building" from the angle of Magnum in relation to the building,to me would suggest that building is in the direction of the ocean.But clearly shows mountains.

I tried the Google Earth but I can't tell..

I found some photos of the campus but the photos don't really show a good angle.There is one that might help however the photo is disabled or my computer doesn't show it...It is a circle that should have a panoramic view,see if it works for you..

http://www.wcc.hawaii.edu/facstaff/rich ... us_map.htm

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

hehe, that's one of things I like about this stuff - following up on "clues" which eventually lead me to the right place. It's pretty fun actually, when it works.

Yeah, I think if you watch the scenes - and there's actually two in the show - where they're at the tree, you'll see that the top right photo is correct, as well as can be concluded with current aerial photos (not from the time of the show). But it does appear that the building has been renovated so that the two roof levels have combined into one, or that it's a new building entirely. Feel free to watch and give your opinion though.

It would be easier in person to point out things. It's hard to note everything in a picture. Having the dvd to watch while viewing different things in google earth is the best way to demonstrate and would be much more clear.

I also tried looking for photos of the campus, which according the map of the Windward Community College doesn't include the exact area where the tree is, but is just across the small street. It seems like the "changed or new building" would be connected in some way to the college, but the map oddly doesn't show that as being the case.

The circles didn't work for me either, but I didn't notice before all the arrow links which go to pictures of the campus, thanks for linking that. There is this picture below that shows the tree on the other side of the "changed or new" building (the tree which in my collage photo is just above the "changed" word). It's the one in the distance just to the left of the minivan. That one looks a little bit too small to be our tree, which works with my theory. Unfortunately the one I'm thinking is the right tree would be just behind the building and to the right just a tad.

(link to this picture's page)

Sorry if all this is confusing to anyone, it's hard to write all this out in a coherent manor. It would be so easy in person.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

It's becoming clearer...

>>>It seems like the "changed or new building" would be connected in some way to the college, but the map oddly doesn't show that as being the case. <<<

In doing the research yesterday I found out that prior to 1972,the college was a State Hospital.If you look at your link of the college,just to the west is a state hospital.So I'm wondering if that building is part of the hospital and that is why it isn't included in the campus photos..

I know what you're thinking....I did a Google image search but to no avail.Maybe you can come up with a pic.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, just a great job of tracking that down rubber chicken! First class sleuth work! :)

You know, it's funny you mentioned a hospital with regards to the "Banyan Tree" property Sam. In the first scene with Lacy and Magnum at the tree, an "establishing shot" is used which shows the Ferrari parked and a sign that says "Pearl Harbor Hospital". Heh.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

I tried to post the picture of me in front of the banyan tree, but it didn't work! :( Must be doing something wrong...

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

I think someone will just have to go to Hawaii to make the final conformation. Any volunteers? :)

SelleckLover - what's the problem you're having?

Here's an easy way of posting an image:

1. If you don't already have the image online, go to imageshack and push the "choose file" button, select the image from your computer, and then choose "host it!"

2. You'll then get a page at imageshack with a number of html address's. Copy the address (near the bottom) to the left of "Direct link to image"

3. Back in this Magnum P.I. forum press the "Img" box when making your post here and you'll get this - [img]

4. Paste the address that you copied from imageshack directly after [img]

5. Then press the "Img" box again and you'll end up with this - [img]image[/img] - with the image being address of the image.