No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 62

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Torah, Torah, Torah (5.21)

#31 Post by K Hale »

Speaking of which, why is Carol so hated? I was mad at her when she tricked the gang into endangering themselves to advance her career and then denied knowing them when she saw them locked up, but are there other reasons? That don't involve her hairstyle? :roll:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

All my reasons involve her hairstyle.

Actually, I don't think she's a good actress - no subtleties. I think the original Carol would have been better. (but I think she left to be in "The Ropers")

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by K Hale »

Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…

Also, why was TC making chili at Magnum’s house? Upcoming party?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…
I think that's pretty obvious - it became "Creole cement". Then T.C. and Magnum got into an argument over whose fault it was and it escalated into a fist fight like in "Thicker Than Blood". Rick ran in to break up the fight and got accidentally knocked out, while Higgins shouted "This is outrageous! Outrageous!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…
I think that's pretty obvious - it became "Creole cement". Then T.C. and Magnum got into an argument over whose fault it was and it escalated into a fist fight like in "Thicker Than Blood". Rick ran in to break up the fight and got accidentally knocked out, while Higgins shouted "This is outrageous! Outrageous!"
That would have made a great scene before the credits rolled, if there wasn’t already one.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ENSHealy »

Tuan Vu wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 pmOne thing we know about the location of Robin's Nest: It must be about two miles from Diamond Head. Magnum says to the Rabbi that to walk back to the estate from where they were after driving out of Diamond Head tunnel, would be "more than two miles."
I think that, from a "where is Robin's Nest?" perspective, they're relying on the audience's ignorance of Hawaii geography and we're not supposed to recognize that as Diamond Head. The shots do show the tunnel and the view north, but if you haven't been there, chances are you wouldn't place it (at least before the internet, that is). We're just supposed to think it is some unknown generic location with a tunnel two miles from the estate, wherever the estate may actually be in the Magnuverse. Magnum drives through that tunnel a lot in the show, but I don't think they usually tie it to Diamond Head specifically.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ENSHealy »

Once again I was complimenting myself for a sharp eye in spotting recurring characters, and then an IMDB check reveals there were 5 episodes I failed to spot him in. But at any rate, I found it interesting that the Mosad agent from Never Again shows up as muscle in another episode with Jewish themes.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.21 Torah, Torah, Torah

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: .5 A half point for the apron
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: .5 Only a half point, as the musing is delivered by Rabbi Solomon, not Higgins, but it’s definitely a classic Higgins musing
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 2
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/570359599

Of course others have already said it, but I too found this one to be humdrum. Felt like a filler plot that could have been done on any show. Not very Magnum-esque.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#39 Post by Blackmamba »

I would think that in your line of work, you would keep an eye out for that kind of thing- Higgins admonishment to TM. Thanks Higgy Baby! I have thought this on many occasions and it it very annoying how often Magnum is caught unaware in so many instances, especially when on a case, when it is more likely to happen. Someone with his background and training, particularly in military missions, would have built in radar for “danger.” And of course, the often referred to little voice, and implied sixth sense throughout the series… that ability isn’t easily lost.
I think it is lazy writing and disrespectful to allow TM to be such an easy target at times! Sometimes it can be quite amusing, but I often wonder if the writers are oblivious to his past before he was a private investigator.

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#40 Post by Treadwell »

I enjoyed it, thought it was fairly solid. Good characterizations and dialog. The Rabbi/Higgins backstory was touching. Tanaka was fun. In current times, I'm wanting them to be wearing masks if Tanaka has the flu. The peppermint schnapps didn't seem to work!

The Google maps link to the Shelby house---I'm having trouble placing the house. Which house is it? I see a potential one, but if so there has been an addition. (one not in keeping, stylistically, with the rest of the house to boot)

It was rather gratuitous having a bikini-clad extra lounging at the pool. Served no purpose. Not that I'm complaining.

It sure did look like real damage to the Ferrari when it was being towed. I wonder if they replaced body panels with prop damaged parts.

Coming back from an act break to several seconds in black is something that makes network and local station engineers have heart attacks. I wonder if a warning memo was sent out beforehand, or on a slate on the feed.

TM giving the Rabbi his cap was a cute moment, but one would think he would have recovered his own hat before getting in the car, and thus not still wearing it in the next scene.

Hard to imagine them not hearing gunshots while inside the cooler.

The Rabbi willingly rides in TC's van after sunset on the Sabbath.

It is never stated what happened to the real gems. Also, the torah was now evidence, they would not be allowed to reclaim it right away.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sam »

Hi Treadwell,

The Google maps link to the Shelby house---I'm having trouble placing the house. Which house is it? I see a potential one, but if so there has been an addition. (one not in keeping, stylistically, with the rest of the house to boot)

The address of the house is 453 Portlock..

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/453- ... 8814_zpid/