No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 62

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#21 Post by Doc Fred »

rubber chicken wrote:What a place to live.
Can you imagine how expensive those places down there by the water are!
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Tuan Vu
Captain

Re: Torah, Torah, Torah (5.21)

#22 Post by Tuan Vu »

This was a so-so episode for me. I rated it as average (7.0).

One thing we know about the location of Robin's Nest: It must be about two miles from Diamond Head. Magnum says to the Rabbi that to walk back to the estate from where they were after driving out of Diamond Head tunnel, would be "more than two miles."

Today, the spot where they get out of the car before it explodes, has been paved over and is a popular scenic lookout: Image.

Here is the scenic lookout today looking Eastward: Image. It is the same view at 33:27 on the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2VxWuFvac.

As you can see, since the filming of this episode, they have built a rail for safety.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Milton Collins »

Another solid episode, 8.0 for me. Not overly memorable and certainly not one of the best but a good one for season 5 which was one of the most lackluster seasons in my opinion.

- Love the backstory of Asher Solomon and Higgins that is told while Magnum is changing the tire. As always, Higgins is as honorable as they come!

- TC's bayou blaster chili was hilarious! "It must be stirred constantly or you'll have bayou cement" ha ha, loved it! And watching TM try it and burst out
into FLAMES and needing to pound a beer to cool off made this scene even better.

- Tanaka is one of my fav of the recurring characters and loved his role and interaction with Asher.

Just a good fun episode in my book!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

This episode was mostly forgettable for me. I can only remember TM going to the airport and the Torah being stolen but cannot remember why or how they got it back. It has been some 30+ years since the original showing but other shows stick in my mind much more than this one. I do clearly remember the Rabbi as a well known character actor and that is about the most I can say. Season 5 was clearly on the downhill slide for the show.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I love T.C.'s Island Hoppers apron too. :P Shame Universal never capitalized on that. :lol: Redbubble currently has several Island Hoppers designs but none on an apron as far as I can tell. Who wouldn't love that as a gift? :lol:

I liked Rabbi Asher Solomon a lot. It's too bad he never returned to team up with Father Paddy McGuinness! :lol:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#26 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:"There will always be a little piece of Higgins in the Torah".
This episode has one of my favorite scenes of any episode (along with the Magnum/Butler scene in "Compulsion"). I believe it takes place just before Rabbi Solomon says the line quoted above, when the Rabbi is telling Magnum of the first time he actually met Higgins. It was in London and the Rabbi recognized Higgins as the British Sentry who abruptly turned to allow the Rabbi and his friends to escape into the night. They discussed this situation and the strict orders the British soldiers were under not to permit this type of activity. The Rabbi said something like "you disobeyed a direct order" (in allowing the Rabbi and his friends to pass). Higgins replied by saying something like "I was obeying a higher order which doesn't permit me to shoot unarmed refugees looking for a home." That scene gets me every time.
It sounds great... until you think about it. Does it make sense that Higgins would have direct orders to shoot unarmed refugees? He probably had orders to block access to certain areas or check for weapons - orders that would make perfect sense considering that Jewish terrorists had just blown up British headquarters in Palestine. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing)

How did he know they were unarmed if he just turned around without investigating? How did he know they were refugees? They could have been more terrorists on their way to blow up something else.

lotar1
Ensign

#27 Post by lotar1 »

One of my favorite episodes as well. It's not perfect, but it always gets me for some reason.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#28 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:"There will always be a little piece of Higgins in the Torah".
This episode has one of my favorite scenes of any episode (along with the Magnum/Butler scene in "Compulsion"). I believe it takes place just before Rabbi Solomon says the line quoted above, when the Rabbi is telling Magnum of the first time he actually met Higgins. It was in London and the Rabbi recognized Higgins as the British Sentry who abruptly turned to allow the Rabbi and his friends to escape into the night. They discussed this situation and the strict orders the British soldiers were under not to permit this type of activity. The Rabbi said something like "you disobeyed a direct order" (in allowing the Rabbi and his friends to pass). Higgins replied by saying something like "I was obeying a higher order which doesn't permit me to shoot unarmed refugees looking for a home." That scene gets me every time.
It sounds great... until you think about it. Does it make sense that Higgins would have direct orders to shoot unarmed refugees? He probably had orders to block access to certain areas or check for weapons - orders that would make perfect sense considering that Jewish terrorists had just blown up British headquarters in Palestine. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing)

How did he know they were unarmed if he just turned around without investigating? How did he know they were refugees? They could have been more terrorists on their way to blow up something else.
Perhaps the rabbi was only giving a summarized version of what happened that night and there was more to the story. The quote the rabbi uses was something Higgins said years later when they met up somewhere else, not something he said that exact night. Maybe on that original night, he did check them for weapons before allowing them to escape into the night. Maybe the British HQ had not been attacked yet (which would certainly have gotten his back up) so he felt he had little reason to be suspicious of people struggling ashore in a leaky boat and thrashing their exhausted way onto dry land. Maybe he had some martinet directly over him who hated Jews and encouraged his men to shoot refugees on the slimmest of pretexts. I just feel like a lot was left out of that story. Plus, back then, not everybody was so ready to view people as potential terrorists as we are today.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I keep thinking there should have been a sequel to this called "Talmud, Talmud, Talmud" where the Rabbi is a real a-hole who lies to everybody, tries to steal all Robin Masters' stuff, then blows up the Audi with Carol in it.

At the end, Higgins is pointing a gun at him and asks, "Did you see the sunset?", the Rabbi says, "Oy, well that is quite a question... it all depends on - " BANG!

On the plus side, Carol would be dead, but they'd probably have an episode called "Carol's Back".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by K Hale »

:shock:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by K Hale »

Speaking of which, why is Carol so hated? I was mad at her when she tricked the gang into endangering themselves to advance her career and then denied knowing them when she saw them locked up, but are there other reasons? That don't involve her hairstyle? :roll:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

All my reasons involve her hairstyle.

Actually, I don't think she's a good actress - no subtleties. I think the original Carol would have been better. (but I think she left to be in "The Ropers")

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by K Hale »

Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…

Also, why was TC making chili at Magnum’s house? Upcoming party?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…
I think that's pretty obvious - it became "Creole cement". Then T.C. and Magnum got into an argument over whose fault it was and it escalated into a fist fight like in "Thicker Than Blood". Rick ran in to break up the fight and got accidentally knocked out, while Higgins shouted "This is outrageous! Outrageous!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what ever became of TC’s bayou blaster chili? Magnum took it off the heat, but nobody hung around to stir it…
I think that's pretty obvious - it became "Creole cement". Then T.C. and Magnum got into an argument over whose fault it was and it escalated into a fist fight like in "Thicker Than Blood". Rick ran in to break up the fight and got accidentally knocked out, while Higgins shouted "This is outrageous! Outrageous!"
That would have made a great scene before the credits rolled, if there wasn’t already one.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!