6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 62

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This one was decent...but only because it was Carol's neice and she asks Magnum to help. If it had just been some other girl or person, I probably would've rated this one "Average at Best."

I really don't like the "prison" episodes of TV shows...as they are all the same: one of the main stars has to go into a prison, under the guise as an inmate, to learn info or catch someone. Not that interesting or entertaining. :?

I like the character of Carol...and she, Agatha, and Lt. Tanaka are my favorite recurring characters in the show. However, despite a couple decent action scenes, and Carol actually looking fairly "hot" in the tropical/Hawaiian dress, this is probably one of my least favorite Magnum/Carol episodes. :?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#22 Post by mandolabar »

I loved this one, if only because I laughed myself silly at Higgins in the topless bar. OMG.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:This one was decent...but only because it was Carol's neice and she asks Magnum to help. If it had just been some other girl or person, I probably would've rated this one "Average at Best."

I really don't like the "prison" episodes of TV shows...as they are all the same: one of the main stars has to go into a prison, under the guise as an inmate, to learn info or catch someone. Not that interesting or entertaining. :?

I like the character of Carol...and she, Agatha, and Lt. Tanaka are my favorite recurring characters in the show. However, despite a couple decent action scenes, and Carol actually looking fairly "hot" in the tropical/Hawaiian dress, this is probably one of my least favorite Magnum/Carol episodes. :?

Completely agree, as much as I like Carol, this episode doesn't do much for me. The circumstances that had TM going to a prison farm, pretty weak plot. And the actor playing Jack, Carol's uncle was pretty aweful as well. Not one of the worst but certainly a forgettable episode that I only watch when going in order. The lone bright spot would be higgins at the gentleman's club....HILARIOUS!! It was pretty funny to see Rick enjoying himself during his visit as well.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#24 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

mandolabar wrote:I loved this one, if only because I laughed myself silly at Higgins in the topless bar. OMG.
'What is your real name?'
'It doesn't really mattaaah'

:)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#25 Post by marlboro »

mandolabar wrote:I loved this one, if only because I laughed myself silly at Higgins in the topless bar. OMG.

She's not bad...but she's no Agatha Chumley.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#26 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:However, Higgins at the topless bar was CLASSIC.

I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone look so put out at a topless bar.

The expression on his face is priceless!
Yeah, great scene! And he was watching "Halle Berry". Ok, her name is probably spelt "HOLLY", but still pretty funny! When T.C. mentioned her name over the phone, I literally laughed out loud!

I don't know if anybody else noticed this or not, but there is a weird, subtle little moment at the beginning of this episode that, if noticed, causes a die hard Magnum to do a double-take, then laugh hysterically. Towards the beginning, when Magnum first visits the "Anagrams" office, he strikes up a conversation with the manager. In the background a gorilla suit can be seen....

I just stopped my DVR to see this....WOW....back in the eighties, no one caught this!

The camera then cuts to the manager and then QUICKLY (in like 2 seconds) cuts back to Magnum...

Look at that, someone stuck what appears to be a rubber chicken in its mouth! LOL! :lol:

Only on MPI do you see stuff like this!

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re: Re:

#27 Post by Hawaii Winds »

marlboro wrote:

No one, and I mean NO ONE is Agatha Chumley, I;m surprised Higgin's wasn't hittin that!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken (5.22)

#28 Post by KingKC »

Another weak season finale. Beauty Knows No Pain still holds the top spot for me.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.22 A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 2
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/570668914

Over the years, there have been many over-the-top female guest stars that have irked the fans of our beloved show. Now, at long last, we have a male one. Matt Clark is grating to watch. He strikes me as a poor-man’s Harry Dean Stanton, but without the acting chops.

As season 5 has wound down, the Magnumometer scores have been low. Many episodes where really, the only thing to distinguish an episode from any other detective – er – private investigator, show is a Hawaiian shirt and a Tigers Cap. I know that over the years I’ve seen every episode of the show, but I don’t have any specific memories of Season 6 (unlike Season 7, which I have always thought may be show’s best season). It will be interesting to see, as I watch Season 6 again, if the show rebounds any from the low that was Season 5.

P.S. My feelings about Carol’s hair aren’t as strong as some here on this forum, but I do agree that there have been many occasions where the show’s stylists have done her no favors. In the last couple episodes she’s appeared in, however, I thought she’s looked much better. It does look like she’s colored her hair, which I’m often not a fan of, but I have to admit she’s looked better recently without the gray.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#30 Post by Treadwell »

Found it on the high end of average.

Agreed on the improbabilities, but it kept me entertained.

He almost smacked that other car that was pulling out of the parking lot when he backed up to take the other parking space.

Rick and TC's embarrassment at being in a lingerie shop was perhaps the most improbable thing of all.

She healed from a upper torso bullet wound in somebody's apartment?! She would need reconstructive surgery for whatever muscles were torn up.

Tour jeté, tour jeté and cluck, cluck, cluck.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken

#31 Post by Chris109 »

Hawaii Winds wrote: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:58 pm
marlboro wrote:

No one, and I mean NO ONE is Agatha Chumley, I;m surprised Higgin's wasn't hittin that!
The clapping from those two people are in tune. And notice how Higgins's eyes open every time the dancer sends her hips his way.