6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:40 pm 
Admiral

rubber chicken wrote:
What a place to live.

Can you imagine how expensive those places down there by the water are!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:47 pm 
Captain

This was a so-so episode for me. I rated it as average (7.0).

One thing we know about the location of Robin's Nest: It must be about two miles from Diamond Head. Magnum says to the Rabbi that to walk back to the estate from where they were after driving out of Diamond Head tunnel, would be "more than two miles."

Today, the spot where they get out of the car before it explodes, has been paved over and is a popular scenic lookout: Image.

Here is the scenic lookout today looking Eastward: Image. It is the same view at 33:27 on the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2VxWuFvac.

As you can see, since the filming of this episode, they have built a rail for safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Another solid episode, 8.0 for me. Not overly memorable and certainly not one of the best but a good one for season 5 which was one of the most lackluster seasons in my opinion.

- Love the backstory of Asher Solomon and Higgins that is told while Magnum is changing the tire. As always, Higgins is as honorable as they come!

- TC's bayou blaster chili was hilarious! "It must be stirred constantly or you'll have bayou cement" ha ha, loved it! And watching TM try it and burst out
into FLAMES and needing to pound a beer to cool off made this scene even better.

- Tanaka is one of my fav of the recurring characters and loved his role and interaction with Asher.

Just a good fun episode in my book!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 pm 
Fleet Admiral

This episode was mostly forgettable for me. I can only remember TM going to the airport and the Torah being stolen but cannot remember why or how they got it back. It has been some 30+ years since the original showing but other shows stick in my mind much more than this one. I do clearly remember the Rabbi as a well known character actor and that is about the most I can say. Season 5 was clearly on the downhill slide for the show.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm 
Admiral

I love T.C.'s Island Hoppers apron too. :P Shame Universal never capitalized on that. :lol: Redbubble currently has several Island Hoppers designs but none on an apron as far as I can tell. Who wouldn't love that as a gift? :lol:

I liked Rabbi Asher Solomon a lot. It's too bad he never returned to team up with Father Paddy McGuinness! :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:51 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:
"There will always be a little piece of Higgins in the Torah".

This episode has one of my favorite scenes of any episode (along with the Magnum/Butler scene in "Compulsion"). I believe it takes place just before Rabbi Solomon says the line quoted above, when the Rabbi is telling Magnum of the first time he actually met Higgins. It was in London and the Rabbi recognized Higgins as the British Sentry who abruptly turned to allow the Rabbi and his friends to escape into the night. They discussed this situation and the strict orders the British soldiers were under not to permit this type of activity. The Rabbi said something like "you disobeyed a direct order" (in allowing the Rabbi and his friends to pass). Higgins replied by saying something like "I was obeying a higher order which doesn't permit me to shoot unarmed refugees looking for a home." That scene gets me every time.

It sounds great... until you think about it. Does it make sense that Higgins would have direct orders to shoot unarmed refugees? He probably had orders to block access to certain areas or check for weapons - orders that would make perfect sense considering that Jewish terrorists had just blown up British headquarters in Palestine. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing)

How did he know they were unarmed if he just turned around without investigating? How did he know they were refugees? They could have been more terrorists on their way to blow up something else.