6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anyone else notice that Young Magnum has brown eyes (not green) and straight hair (not curly)? Huge flub! I guess they couldn't find any good green-eyed, curly-haired child actors at the time. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Coops »

I watched this episode again last night (I've obviously just re-started the 4th season) and it amazes me everytime I watch this episode, and I've watched it a lot, how heavy the emotional impact of the ending is on me. I literally cry like a baby at the end and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

One of the things that struck me think back on this episode when it originally aired, is the fact that there were almost no tv shows that had any emotional investment whatsoever. The only obvious one to me was M*A*S*H but that one took years to establish any kind of emotional attachment to any of the characters. Magnum seem to do it by the beginning of the second season (Memories Are Forever). Magnum is/was way ahead of it's time in that regards. By far most of the tv programming back then was just entertainment, virtually devoid of any emotional commitment by the viewers. Magnum really changed all that. And I think that is the main ingredient that made the series so enchanting. This episode also illustrated, quite startlingly, just how good the writing for M.P.I. could be.

BTW J.J., I think you're wrong. Those 2 guys in the "Hot And Heavy" WERE the bad guys/villains! They purposefully ran too close to Thomas and also harrassed the K.K.2!

YOU TURKEYS!!!!

PhatCat
Admiral

#33 Post by PhatCat »

Watched this last Saturday (the 3rd) with my kids while my wife was out running errands. Loved it as usual.

So much fun to share it with the kids. My 4 year old daughter was a bit scared of Herman though.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by robspace54 »

I just bought Seasons 4 and 5 at FYE at a 60% discount. So this episode, as always, packs a punch. For me it is one of the top 5 or 10 Magnum shows. The flashback scenes are all tied into the present with clever words or pictures. Bellasario wrote this so it is very well done.

But why in the world didn't Rick start a search pattern? Oh well - more dramatic to have Higgins jump from TC's chopper, while Rick twiddles, er, thumbs, and then the whole gang is there.

Per the chess scene with Higgy and Agatha, she says something like "the white knight always comes to the rescue." That's Higgins with the life belt!

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by zebra3 »

Frodoleader wrote:Today is the 4th of July - anyone planning to watch this episode?
(Operation Silent Night has become standard Christmas fare for my familt. Maybe we can make this epsiode standard viewing on the 4th).
I might save that episode until Christmas, I haven't seen it yet, but it's coming up. One other episode I watch at Christmas is the one from starsky and hutch season 2, I think it's called little girl lost, where hutch is the grinch and thinks christmas is all a bunch of "Pseudo sentimentalist something..."

And Robspace, I didn't catch that, nice job.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Great episode

#36 Post by nha trang »

Classic episode, I remembered seeing it on tv (as a re-run) as a kid. Probably one of the reasons for my lifelong enjoyment of Magnum PI, actually.

I have decided to STOP watching Magnum PI in syndication until I'm through with the DVDs because I realized I've already seen almost every episode on Disc 1 of Season 4 already!

Also I was curious if anyone has experienced anything like the premonition that Rick,TC and Higgins apparently all do when they sense Magnum may be in trouble. I did have a slightly less theatrical moment like this once when I was supposed to meet my friend at another house, we left his house driving separately just by chance I didn't get into his car, but when he didn't reach the destination on time, I doubled back and went through another neighborhood on a hunch until I saw the ambulance lights. T-boned by a drunk driver, thankfully both of my friends in the car were fine...still it was spooky.

I think I even recalled this episode at that time afterwards.
There may be something to these premonitions.

Great, classic episode, a must watch!

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#37 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

I just read through the posts for this episode and didn't see that anyone was confused about the timing like I was. So my question is . . . how long was Magnum treading water? When TC and Higgins realize Magnum isn't home, they say, "So he's been out on his surf ski for two days?!" Then the scene cuts to Magnum and in his narration he says he has been treading water for 20 hours. It makes more sense that he would be at the end of his first day since Rick and his girlfriend are also still at sea, and only because Rick said they needed to anchor and not try to go back to land with one engine.

So what do you experts think? 2 days or 20 + hours?
Rack em up!

jno
Captain

#38 Post by jno »

Having seen seasons/series 1 to 3 back and forth (on UK "DMAX") I decided at last to get on to the DVDs and watch this series.

I have just seen this episode for the first time. At the beginning I was wondering what on earth was going on and of course it is predictable that Magnum will somehow be saved, of course, but...

what isn't at all predictable is the extremely emotional ending just after Higgins drops in to save Magnum - wow, that is great stuff and you can't help but love Magnum (the show) even more when they really work hard to produce top quality stories like this one.

The lead actor (George Cole) in the UK series "Minder" always said that the success of the show in the United Kingdom is down solely to the scripts and the relationships that exist between the characters as a result. This is equally as true for Magnum, this is top script writing here that is solely used to invest time in us getting to know and getting to love each of the characters and most importantly, the idea of friendship between them. This is also seen on Starsky and Hutch.

Loved this episode, and so happy I am watching Magnum in the order in which is was intended.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I rated this episode as "very good". But, it's one I usually skip and don't really care to see. The reason is...it's sort of a little too good. :wink:

It's done so well, and so realistically, that it's also very sad and depressing. :cry: To be honest I don't really like episodes of TV shows or movies that are mostly sad and depressing...because they end up leaving me feeling that way, and I don't like that. :?

But, because this episode affects me that way...I suppose its done its job...and effectively. Therefore, I consider it a good one...even though I don't like to usually watch it.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by miltontheripper »

I have to say I completely agree with the above comment. While it is a very well done and entertaining it, unless I'm watching in order (which I currently am) I don't tend to watch it randomly. I am a fan of the more upbeat and funnier episodes.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by AmandaByNight »

I don't think I could add anymore to this conversation, so I'll just say I agree, it's easily one of the best epsiodes. It's gripping and emotional and it's a true showcase for the power and presence of Selleck as an actor. Love every second!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:I have to say I completely agree with the above comment. While it is a very well done and entertaining it, unless I'm watching in order (which I currently am) I don't tend to watch it randomly. I am a fan of the more upbeat and funnier episodes.
Yeah...I'm a fan of the more action-packed, suspenseful, or upbeat episodes too. I'm also currently going through the whole show as well! However, there are a couple episodes I skip...and this is one of them. I've seen it a couple times over the years, and that's enough. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Little Garwood »

One of a few episodes I vote a [10.0]

Home from the Sea was just as powerful when I watched it yesterday as when I saw it first run. It's not just the heartbreaking and haunting--but never mawkish--ending, but the connection these characters have with one another. I'm not talking about the fantasy elements present from time to time, but the genuine love the guys have for another. It's a theme explored in the films of director Howard Hawks (Red River, Rio Bravo, El Dorado) films and one that keeps Magnum, P.I. well above the once-popular TV shows from the era. MPI was fun enough to avoid Hill Street Blues-type seriousness, yet substantial enough to be infinitely superior to stuff like The A-Team.

If All for One was the ultimate realization of the guys' bond, then Home from the Sea was a dress rehearsal for it.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by AmandaByNight »

Little Garwood wrote: If All for One was the ultimate realization of the guys' bond, then Home from the Sea was a dress rehearsal for it.
Wow, I love what you wrote here. I never thought of it in those terms, but I think you might be right!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

I haven't watched this episode in 20 something years.........and I'm going to watch it tonight or soon thereafter. I'm curious to see what I don't remember, but this was a gut wrenching episode that signifies the Magnum franchise.