6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

James J. Walters wrote:... I always assumed the title of this episode was a reference to the Robert Louis Stevenson poem "Requiem" ....

This be the verse you 'grave for me;
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

The Housman poem seems to fit better, however.
I disagree, James -- I think your first inclination was on the mark. The stanza above seems particularly appropriate for the theme of this episode. At the end, Thomas, Senior, did indeed lie "where he long'd to be."

As noted above, this is a very powerful, moving episode, very finely crafted. But I hate watching it. I'm a landlubber born and bred, and the very thought of being several miles from land without even a surf-ski -- *shudder*!
Carol

A P Leyland
Captain

#12 Post by A P Leyland »

Utterly magnificent episode.

Andy

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree! This has to be my favorite!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#14 Post by Italian Ice »

This was a good episode, could have been a good two parter if they decided to add more flashbacks. A very good break from the other episodes.

I do wonder how long he treaded water for, and if its possible for any human being to go for that long. If I missed how long he was out there for, someone let me know, same if there was mention of any record.

I'll remember not to swim in the Molokai express the next time I'm out there. I'll stick to Hanauma Bay. Wait a minute! I nearly got caught in that strong undertow that's there. It happened back in 1996 when I pursued a giant sea turtle and......nevermind, I don't want to sound like Higgins......lol
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

brunoffrance
Captain

pepsi Rolex...

#15 Post by brunoffrance »

Hi there;
just seen this great épisode in family, as we do each sundays since a couple of years now... My mother ( I'm 46...) buy me each week , a CD/magazine réedition of each season and it's a ritual to see it again... here is for the context.
So today, it was this épisode and we 've decided to note it and asking questions about the just seen épisode if necessary. the vote ( we were 7 at the familly table was ... 9, 1 ! ).

BUT the question was why TM doesn't wear the pepsi Rolex from his father ? We see another Rolex at his hand and it was not the pepsi one... is there an explanation for that ? I think it'ld be better that he weraed for this épisode , his father 's Pepsi Rolex to be more emotional but , may-be I'ven't understand something special in this épisode.

Thank you, by advance.

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by Rutledal »

I recently watched "On the Fly", "Solo Flight" and "The Aunt Who Came to Dinner", but I'm posting it here because what I'm about to write is regarding the flashbacks in "Solo Flight" from "Home From the Sea".

So I was watching "On the Fly" and noticed that when Magnum is trying to land the plane at the ending the flight instructor calls him Tommy because he wants to establish a "friendly feeling" or something, but Magnum quickly corrects him and tells him that it's Thomas.
Then I watched the flashback scene from "Home From the Sea/Solo Flight" where Magnum's father, Thomas Magnum, on several ocasions calls him Tommy.
And today I watched "The Aunt Who Came to Dinner" where Dennis Parker also calls him Tommy, not exactly to Magnum's joy.
So to sum it up, I'm boiling on a theory here that Magnum's lack of intrest in being called Tommy goes back to his father, and possibly his death. Any thoughts?
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

Rutledal wrote:I recently watched "On the Fly", "Solo Flight" and "The Aunt Who Came to Dinner", but I'm posting it here because what I'm about to write is regarding the flashbacks in "Solo Flight" from "Home From the Sea".

So I was watching "On the Fly" and noticed that when Magnum is trying to land the plane at the ending the flight instructor calls him Tommy because he wants to establish a "friendly feeling" or something, but Magnum quickly corrects him and tells him that it's Thomas.
Then I watched the flashback scene from "Home From the Sea/Solo Flight" where Magnum's father, Thomas Magnum, on several ocasions calls him Tommy.
And today I watched "The Aunt Who Came to Dinner" where Dennis Parker also calls him Tommy, not exactly to Magnum's joy.
So to sum it up, I'm boiling on a theory here that Magnum's lack of intrest in being called Tommy goes back to his father, and possibly his death. Any thoughts?
It could be..... but I guess its one of those things where your family has called you it so long, you just sort of expect it.

Same sort of situation in "Limited Engagement" where the LaSalle sisters call him "Tommy" and he remarks that "Tommy should be the name of a 5-year old with an all-day sucker".

My family for the most part calls me "Stephen", even though I've gone by "Steve" since I was 10.

Plus, I would be a bit perturbed if someone kept calling me "Stevie" when I was trying to land a plane, so I can see where Magnum is coming from.

:lol:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#18 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Excellent theory! Maybe TM feels "Tommy" is reserved for his fathers use and no one elses!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Re: pepsi Rolex...

#19 Post by N1095A »

brunoffrance wrote: BUT the question was why TM doesn't wear the pepsi Rolex from his father ? We see another Rolex at his hand and it was not the pepsi one... is there an explanation for that ? I think it'ld be better that he weraed for this épisode , his father 's Pepsi Rolex to be more emotional but , may-be I'ven't understand something special in this épisode.
Bruno.
Hi Bruno. it was in fact the pepsi rolex. At different times through out the series we see it with different levels of wear and fading of the bezel. It's common for the bezels to fade over time. Rolex usually replaces faded bezel inserts (the red and blue part) during factory service.

Here's an example of a Pepsi Rolex bezel that is faded to about the same level we saw in "Home From The Sea":
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

brunoffrance
Captain

Re: pepsi Rolex...

#20 Post by brunoffrance »

N1095A wrote:
brunoffrance wrote: BUT the question was why TM doesn't wear the pepsi Rolex from his father ? We see another Rolex at his hand and it was not the pepsi one... is there an explanation for that ? I think it'ld be better that he weraed for this épisode , his father 's Pepsi Rolex to be more emotional but , may-be I'ven't understand something special in this épisode.
Bruno.
Hi Bruno. it was in fact the pepsi rolex. At different times through out the series we see it with different levels of wear and fading of the bezel. It's common for the bezels to fade over time. Rolex usually replaces faded bezels during factory service.
Thank you for your explanation and you reassure me about that was not an error... I didn't know about the fading of this kind of watch... I have only a copy one.... not the genuine one ( lol).
with you I'll inform the rest of my familly about this point.... Thank you one more time !

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

Bruno,

Did you change your avatar? I love the swatch of the parrot shirt print fabric for your avatar! Well done.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Woohoo, the forth season already. And it opens with my single most favourite episode from the entire show’s run!

[rating=10]

It is the 4th of July, and Magnum is spending it alone out at sea on his surf ski. But when a speedboat causes his surf ski to capsize, he finds himself stuck out in the middle of the ocean – and nobody knows he’s there. My all-time favourite episode…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

Along comes the fourth season, and to open it, one of the series’ all-time classic episodes, and deservedly popular amongst fans.

The notion of Magnum being stuck out at sea is a gripping one, and perfectly executed. I believe that, even compared today’s television, it stands as one of the most unique hours of American television ever produced.
It is one of just handful of MPI episodes with absolutely no villains, and solely revolves around Magnum desperately trying to stay afloat.

Meanwhile, Higgins, T.C. and Rick are all doing their own things for Independence Day, none aware of Magnum’s desperate peril. But one by one, they start to get gut feelings that something is wrong. In any lesser written series, I’m not sure this would have worked, but in MPI, where we have learnt to understand the characters and the bond they share, it works perfectly.

Magnum’s father is played by Robert Pine, who had just finished playing Sergeant Getraer in another US favourite, “CHiPs” (1977-1983). As Magnum’s plight at sea continues, the story unfolds about his relationship with his father, and what happened to him.
To tie in with it, we learn why Magnum likes to spend the 4th of July alone, something that would be touched upon again later in the series.

We also get a couple of flashbacks to his wedding and later reunion with Michelle (explained in the second season’s excellent feature-length / two-part ‘Memories Are Forever’). As I’ve said before, the show’s flair for continuity, in an era where many such shows effectively hit the reset button after each episode, is one of the things that makes the show still stand up all these years later.

And then there’s ‘Herman’, the shark that bumps Magnum’s leg. The scene plays out both dramatic and slightly humorously, with Magnum’s dialogue to the shark, at the same time; again, the scene is flawless.

I remember the first time I ever saw this episode. I had no clue what the story would be about, and I was gripped from start to end. And unlike some stories, it holds up just as well on repeat viewings.
Although it doesn’t feature any bad guys or many of the show’s usual traits, I would say that this is a great introductory episode for anyone watching the series for the first time.

I find it very hard to find a single flaw with this episode. Granted, a couple of the scenes of Rick and his girlfriend on the yacht may be slightly corny, but in such a powerful episode, it is hardly noticeable.

The episode was revisited of sorts in the seventh season episode ‘Solo Flight’, complete with another Herman. I’ll get to review that episode in due course, but nothing can touch the greatness of ‘Home From The Sea’.

Overall… a couple of others come close, but ‘Home From The Sea’ will probably always be my single most favourite episode from the entire show’s run. It can’t be beaten. And the images of Magnum stuck out of sea will always be haunting.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* For the new season, the opening trailer theme is rerecorded once again. As with all other versions, it will be used in a number of different edits.
The opening credits stay the same as of the third season.

* Unless my eyes are playing tricks, the very first shot of Magnum on his surf ski is clearly not Tom Selleck, but a double.

* Shots of the sea, especially directly before and after Magnum is knocked from his surf ski, vary in different shots. In some, it is much more choppier than others, and the sky and weather seems to change a lot too.

* And as has already been mentioned of the forum, Robert Pine’s son Chris is now Captain Kirk!

I wonder if anyone has any background as to how this episode was filmed? Did they use a tank? (I think they might have for the night scenes). If not, how far out at sea did they film it? I’d be really interested to know.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Frodoleader »

Today is the 4th of July - anyone planning to watch this episode?
(Operation Silent Night has become standard Christmas fare for my familt. Maybe we can make this epsiode standard viewing on the 4th).
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

gmt16750
Captain

#24 Post by gmt16750 »

yes if i find the time for watching it!
4th of July is for Magnum-maniacs like christmas for catholics ;)
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by lutherhgillis »

Don't forget that Death and Taxes culminates on July 4th ! That is also a great episode. I will watch both today.

Happy Independence Day ! No offense to you Brits... :wink:
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?