6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by AmandaByNight »

I don't think I could add anymore to this conversation, so I'll just say I agree, it's easily one of the best epsiodes. It's gripping and emotional and it's a true showcase for the power and presence of Selleck as an actor. Love every second!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:I have to say I completely agree with the above comment. While it is a very well done and entertaining it, unless I'm watching in order (which I currently am) I don't tend to watch it randomly. I am a fan of the more upbeat and funnier episodes.
Yeah...I'm a fan of the more action-packed, suspenseful, or upbeat episodes too. I'm also currently going through the whole show as well! However, there are a couple episodes I skip...and this is one of them. I've seen it a couple times over the years, and that's enough. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Little Garwood »

One of a few episodes I vote a [10.0]

Home from the Sea was just as powerful when I watched it yesterday as when I saw it first run. It's not just the heartbreaking and haunting--but never mawkish--ending, but the connection these characters have with one another. I'm not talking about the fantasy elements present from time to time, but the genuine love the guys have for another. It's a theme explored in the films of director Howard Hawks (Red River, Rio Bravo, El Dorado) films and one that keeps Magnum, P.I. well above the once-popular TV shows from the era. MPI was fun enough to avoid Hill Street Blues-type seriousness, yet substantial enough to be infinitely superior to stuff like The A-Team.

If All for One was the ultimate realization of the guys' bond, then Home from the Sea was a dress rehearsal for it.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by AmandaByNight »

Little Garwood wrote: If All for One was the ultimate realization of the guys' bond, then Home from the Sea was a dress rehearsal for it.
Wow, I love what you wrote here. I never thought of it in those terms, but I think you might be right!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

I haven't watched this episode in 20 something years.........and I'm going to watch it tonight or soon thereafter. I'm curious to see what I don't remember, but this was a gut wrenching episode that signifies the Magnum franchise.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Seaver41 »

wow.......amazing how you simply don't forget the good stuff. All the little nuances and details were as fresh as ever. What a great episode.

but one complaint. Since when did they import Tiger Stadium to Honolulu? the old stock footage of a MLB game was horrific.

snp389
Captain

#47 Post by snp389 »

Brilliant writing!
Great insight into TSM's background and the influence his father had on him.
I found this episode made me actually care for the characters more than ever. Testiment to the writers, directors and the actors.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Stelth »

I started watching Magnum reruns this January and I'm up to season 4...Home From the Sea is the best single episode I've seen so far.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#49 Post by Stelth »

Happy Independence Day!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re:

#50 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:One of a few episodes I vote a [10.0]

Home from the Sea was just as powerful when I watched it yesterday as when I saw it first run. It's not just the heartbreaking and haunting--but never mawkish--ending, but the connection these characters have with one another. I'm not talking about the fantasy elements present from time to time, but the genuine love the guys have for another. It's a theme explored in the films of director Howard Hawks (Red River, Rio Bravo, El Dorado) films and one that keeps Magnum, P.I. well above the once-popular TV shows from the era. MPI was fun enough to avoid Hill Street Blues-type seriousness, yet substantial enough to be infinitely superior to stuff like The A-Team.

If All for One was the ultimate realization of the guys' bond, then Home from the Sea was a dress rehearsal for it.
Excellently said.

This is a classic of an episode in my mind, and brought a tear to my eye again yesterday.

I love the bond they show these guys have, especially the "feeling" they have between each other. They took it past the hokey into the realm of the real world, where we all understand and have had "bad feelings" about those we care about. The writers understood the show perfectly and were able to touch that nerve we all share.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Sisophous »

This is a powerful episode the first time I watched it but too painful to watch again unlike other episodes that I never tire of. The feeling of near drowning is so real it is not enjoyable. I was blown away the first time I saw it but the other few times I got around to it while renting discs from Netflix, well, I was glad when it ended.

DIVER DOWN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#52 Post by DIVER DOWN »

I thought this was a classic episode. one of the best. :magnum:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by charybdis1966 »

I watched this episode today and have given it a perfect ten despite a few flaws, mainly the intrusive/jarring aspects of Rick's sub plot and how the bikini-clad, blonde lovely distracted from the seriousness of the overall story.

Of course you need light and shade in any masterpiece but these scenes could have been tweaked(I don't know how exactly, but somehow)however nothing detracts from the overall impact of such a hard hitting howitzer of a climax.

The sixth sense of the others of this tightly knit group of friends/comrades when one of their number(TM) is in trouble was expertly hinted at.

Enough beating around the bush, I have a confession to make.

This episode is only the second piece of TV to actually make me cry, and as a middle aged Brit bloke(albeit of second generation immigrant descent) that's a rarity, stiff upper lip and all that, as Higgins might say.

As to why this episode should have got the water works going, well it's tough exactly to figure out, but I think two elements may hold the key.

Firstly my younger son had a near drowning whilst on holiday in Tenerife 5 years ago and the ominous sense of foreboding the endless shots of the waves occasionally engulfing TM must have struck a chord with me.

Secondly the way TM and his father had such a close relationship contrasted/contrasts with the disconnect I have with my father as males of his generation were expected to be aloof as a father; back to the stiff upper lip I suppose.

Anyhow, for whatever reason the majesty of the ending shot of 5 year old TM saluting while his fathers watch flopped around his thin child's wrist provoked a visceral, gutsy reaction that I doubt the rest of the series will ever reach once I've seen them all.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#54 Post by Doc Ibold »

Well said.

I get a little misty too at the end, especially with Magnums VO leading into the scene.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by charybdis1966 »

Doc Ibold wrote:Well said.

I get a little misty too at the end, especially with Magnums VO leading into the scene.
Especially at "I made it dad, I made it!....Why couldn't you?"